FedEx Freight | Medical insurance

I know you guys have Cigna for your insurance can you tell me if it's a good insurance
What is the max $ for coverage on you? For you entire family? Any family members have a chronic sickness? How much is out of pocket in 1 year for you? For the entire family? How about expensive long term scrips? If you are injured on the job, how much a week do you receive? Injury NOT on the job? How bad or good does the short term disability payment affect you paying the bills? Trust me, these questions have a very big impact on you future with any trucking company. If you drive from a to b & don't touch any freight, not so bad. If you pedal LTL or fingerprint every truck load of 30 skids you will be hurt @ some point in time. Run a flat bed? You will fall off it at some point in time. It is the nature of this profession. The US Department of Labor lists truck driving as the 7th most deadly occupation. Keep that in mind as you shop around your CDL. I still say working under a Collective Bargaining Agreement is the best way to go. Especially if you can get C-6 (Teamster or Team Care) coverage. ABF Yellow & Holland have these. It is very expensive for the employer to pay this. Expensive because no other trucking outfit union or not offers this kind of coverage. Union dues are about 60 bucks a month. Medical deductions from you weekly check are $0 with these 3 companies. From any other company 40 to 100 bucks a week AFTER tax witholding. Your CDL is your biggest asset. Shop it wisely. von.

It really depends on who you ask and your definition of good.
Good point. A company that wants to hire you will check you out. Some more than others. You & the CDL you have earned is a commodity. Trade or sell your commodity wisely. How you manage your skills & license has a very large impact on your earnings. Give me the same benefits as a ABF driver has now, I would choose to work for $5 an hour less to have that coverage if I had to. ABF pays 35,000.00 per year per employee for Health & Welfare before the first dime in wages. 15 grand of that is for medical the rest for pension. 20 years ago I did my homework & applied @ 4 union outfits in Indy. ABF called first. As it turns out 20 years later I was lucky. von.

Usually, drivers are fairly young (under 40) when they come into the industry and the money is more important to them at the time than healthcare or retirement. Unfortunately, as these drivers and their families grew they failed to save and now healthcare and retirement has become more important. Regardless of which company anyone decides to go with, almost all provide a compensation/benefits package that should lead to a long and prosperous career well into retirement...well, except maybe YRC.

The problem lies with those that failed to make responsible decisions and now live paycheck to paycheck, there's no one to blame but themselves.

Usually, drivers are fairly young (under 40) when they come into the industry and the money is more important to them at the time than healthcare or retirement. Unfortunately, as these drivers and their families grew they failed to save and now healthcare and retirement has become more important. Regardless of which company anyone decides to go with, almost all provide a compensation/benefits package that should lead to a long and prosperous career well into retirement...well, except maybe YRC.

The problem lies with those that failed to make responsible decisions and now live paycheck to paycheck, there's no one to blame but themselves.
You can be injured for life & out of work forever @ 24 years of age or 54 years of age. The older you become the greater chance of injury & the older your are the longer it takes to recover. Just saying. I have lived it. von.

You can be injured for life & out of work forever @ 24 years of age or 54 years of age. The older you become the greater chance of injury & the older your are the longer it takes to recover. Just saying. I have lived it. von.
Agreed...no one can predict the future (if so I'd have already won the lottery) and because of this, we all must prepare ourselves for the curve balls that life WILL undoubtedly throw our way and not rely on others to swing for us when those curve balls are thrown!!

I know you guys have Cigna for your insurance can you tell me if it's a good insurance

Its sad struggling companies are offering free health care, i see it all over may not be in our industry but non the less they still offer the benefit. Our health care should be alot better plain and simple. When you ask questions about our health care and people automatically start blaming employees for not being able to afford it... it's pretty sad.

Its sad struggling companies are offering free health care, i see it all over may not be in our industry but non the less they still offer the benefit. Our health care should be alot better plain and simple. When you ask questions about our health care and people automatically start blaming employees for not being able to afford it... it's pretty sad.
The companies you say are struggling are probably in trouble in part because of the free health care. Medical costs have increased by tremendous amounts over the last ten or twelve years. Companies still have to make a profit, so providing what they used to can and does lead to bankruptcy. I would rather work for a company that will still be in business for the long haul.

The companies you say are struggling are probably in trouble in part because of the free health care. Medical costs have increased by tremendous amounts over the last ten or twelve years. Companies still have to make a profit, so providing what they used to can and does lead to bankruptcy. I would rather work for a company that will still be in business for the long haul.

Nope not even close the companies im talking about were affected by Obama's policies and are now thriving again after he left office. You would rather work for a company that makes a profit on health insurance, because you don't understand or refuse to see how the game is played.