ABF | meeting with attorney.

They won't be closing the doors but sit back and watch as what used to be a good job erodes before your very eyes. So many things permitted that so many didn't see or didn't want to see or thought ABF would love them and cherish them and harbor them 'til retirement they did part.
I just hope the people who voted this contract in to get to retirement do so....

They won't be closing the doors but sit back and watch as what used to be a good job erodes before your very eyes. So many things permitted that so many didn't see or didn't want to see or thought ABF would love them and cherish them and harbor them 'til retirement they did part.

IMO , we should be pissed about our union, not Abf. Union is weak and they dropped the ball on the whole industry. Your bout to see 250 ups drivers not get their job back for an unauthorized work stoppage

IMO , we should be pissed about our union, not Abf. Union is weak and they dropped the ball on the whole industry. Your bout to see 250 ups drivers not get their job back for an unauthorized work stoppage
Im not pissed at ABF they got the better end of the contract, the union failed yet again...

The company did their job and they did it damn well, any less meat and it would have failed. However, I do believe that they partook in dirty business practices and the union let them. The IBT should have recommended that this POS be shot down for what it is. Then if it passed at least they could have said, "We told you not to take it". Then the chickens that voted for it are guilty too.

The " Down slide " started when Jimmy Carter signed the bill to deregulate the trucking industry. What we are seeing today is the effects of greed for corporate America.
Their is NO standard in the freight industry anymore!
When you have but a few that dominate the movement of freight the only way to cut cost's is cutting the biggest piece of the pie labor.
Yes in the past a NMFA company could not or did not make timely payments up went the picket and we all know how that ends.
I remember the day's when CF,PIE, Red Ball,Yellow, ABF were just too big to fail.
When you give one union company a cost advantage but not the other how can you compete?
It will be interesting to see how the Nons that are growing keep their thumb on their greatest asset they claim they have..

Lecturing rollin62. He posts like he knows all about ABF and organized labor all-be-it a Conway man just beginning at ABF and not eligible to vote on our contract. . Its a bit different than lecturing anyone on their current issues.Peoples opinions on YRC are heavy, many feel its ther beginning of downslide in LTL, concessions, givebacks, etc,, Setting a new standard and that attrition needs to take place, God Bless Yrc people for fighting and helping in their minds. As we see at ABF we have been lied to and manipulated on the heels of all this givebacks etc, from day one. ABF cried foul and wanted to kick sand from the sand box and pouted, over the years, IBT softened and invited ABF back to the sandbox.. I don't blame YRC Teamsters, I blame IBT and Hoffa administration. They should have let YRC go under, ABF would have grown and employed their people. We are doing it now!! Hiring their worthy people. Their will be no retirement left when the government gets done with it here pretty soon.

I agree with the fact that ABF just out negotiated the IBT. Did the IBT just not care enough? or were they just "in bed" with ABF over the lawsuit being dropped etc. who knows.
One of the problems was also the fact that most of the guys, at least here at my barn, didn't even read the contract. There was a posting about the raises not until July now and you should have heard the crying. the comments like "They can't do that" "That's not fair" "It's always been.." They were asked "Didn't any of you read the contract?" Just got blank stares and one of the guys is a steward!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
As a follow up to the original post, we now have negotiators who arranged to have family members gain employment with ABF. We have favors from IBT to local BA's and officers for pushing the contract and including voting Yes at Two man meetings. Also the evidence of conversations and plans to avoid the correct strike vote at correct time.
Divide and conquer,That's an old saying the brotherhood should try to remember if anyone cares anymore!:usa2::horse****::grouphug:

I along with a fellow worker here at ABF met with a local labor attorney and discussed ABF and the recent contract and the representation and presentation of facts to members. More importantly the facts that have followed that we are seeing with the overuse of purchased transportation, the misuse and misrepresentation of the purchased transportation as we were told it would be used. The facts regarding the presentation of ABF's losses and it actually profiting at the time of the contract. The fact ABF has asked for modification to new hire vacation policy since ratification (but turned down by IBT)! Most importantly the scam of misinforming members/ misleading members,, (conflict of interest) with IBT on the so called purchasing of ABF by YRCW..

Extremely good case of misrepresentation!! Suggests that charges be filed with NLRB.. Very familiar with it all

I wish someone would come forth over here at YRCW.I was following your contract talks last year.I was set back by Mr.Welch and his offer to buy ABF during contract talks.I felt that was collusion in the essence.Which is illegal.At least you guys didn't get threatened with bankruptcy during our MOU extension vote.Of which the first vote lost.That shouldve been it as far as voting.But noooo we had to have the second vote which was conducted locally and not by an independent firm counting the votes.Talk about being lied to and railroaded

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I agree with the fact that ABF just out negotiated the IBT. Did the IBT just not care enough? or were they just "in bed" with ABF over the lawsuit being dropped etc. who knows.
One of the problems was also the fact that most of the guys, at least here at my barn, didn't even read the contract. There was a posting about the raises not until July now and you should have heard the crying. the comments like "They can't do that" "That's not fair" "It's always been.." They were asked "Didn't any of you read the contract?" Just got blank stares and one of the guys is a steward!!!

The IBT doesn't care because we don't seem to care. Union meetings, anyone? Hardly anyone goes,......and that's the financial bulk of your dues being spent locally on your officers and staff. Anyone watchdog them? Anyone bother to show up? Ask questions? I have guys in my barn that have not missed a fire department meeting in25 years,....yet they've never been to a Union meeting,.....and they only live 5 miles from the Union hall. Priorities?......Fire dept?.....or paycheck? Same with gun shows or swap meets. Guys will take time off of work,...away from their families,....Travel great distances,......Yet getting them to go to a Union meeting,.......Well,...I guess it interferes with Saturday morning cartoon watching,....which, I guess is vastly more important than your paycheck and contract,.......Local #30 has a membership of about 2400,....yet we only have the same 25 or30 guys and gals show up at the meetings,......and we are ranked as one of the ACTIVE locals!.......We got a slipshod and rotten, sloppy contract because we don't seem to care. WE are the Union,.....not some temporary officer that can be voted out on the rank-and-files' wishes,..........But if we don't bother to act like we're in a Union,....or that we're PROUD to be in a Union,....well,....I guess we got a contract that reflects what the bulk of our fellow Teamsters put into their Unionism,.....Not Much......Make a Vow right now, Brothers,.......You , too, Rollin, ...if you're truly part of ABF's rank-and-file,....To go to the monthly meetings,....Ask questions,.....Don't get disenheartened by the bluff and bluster of officers who feel they're comfortably entrenched in a lifetime job,.....Sit in the front row,......and TAKE NOTES!,.....Drives them crazy,.....It won't happen overnight,.....but if you truly want a fair contract,...we must work to take our Union back.

The IBT doesn't care because we don't seem to care. Union meetings, anyone? Hardly anyone goes,......and that's the financial bulk of your dues being spent locally on your officers and staff. Anyone watchdog them? Anyone bother to show up? Ask questions? I have guys in my barn that have not missed a fire department meeting in25 years,....yet they've never been to a Union meeting,.....and they only live 5 miles from the Union hall. Priorities?......Fire dept?.....or paycheck? Same with gun shows or swap meets. Guys will take time off of work,...away from their families,....Travel great distances,......Yet getting them to go to a Union meeting,.......Well,...I guess it interferes with Saturday morning cartoon watching,....which, I guess is vastly more important than your paycheck and contract,.......Local #30 has a membership of about 2400,....yet we only have the same 25 or30 guys and gals show up at the meetings,......and we are ranked as one of the ACTIVE locals!.......We got a slipshod and rotten, sloppy contract because we don't seem to care. WE are the Union,.....not some temporary officer that can be voted out on the rank-and-files' wishes,..........But if we don't bother to act like we're in a Union,....or that we're PROUD to be in a Union,....well,....I guess we got a contract that reflects what the bulk of our fellow Teamsters put into their Unionism,.....Not Much......Make a Vow right now, Brothers,.......You , too, Rollin, ...if you're truly part of ABF's rank-and-file,....To go to the monthly meetings,....Ask questions,.....Don't get disenheartened by the bluff and bluster of officers who feel they're comfortably entrenched in a lifetime job,.....Sit in the front row,......and TAKE NOTES!,.....Drives them crazy,.....It won't happen overnight,.....but if you truly want a fair contract,...we must work to take our Union back.

canaryinthemine,...first, I work for YRCF. also, I enjoy reading your post, they are sincere and well thought out. I'm sure that you realize our situation is very different (colossal debt) from that of ABF. I don't feel as many do that we were "sold out", rather, I feel the IBT did the best they could with what little they had to work with. Keep in mind that we have a third party to all of this ...The Lender's, 7 different Banks and countless Hedge Funds. In the ABF scenario, you had Roy and Judy trying to sue the IBT and YRCW three times for the same concessions, or for monetary compensation. Judy strategically leaking her conversation with James to nudge you guys and gals to vote yes, may or may not be legal (i only have a high school diploma). Remember, law suits take a lot of time and money to pursue. Your concessions are less based on your better financials and debt. Now, add, the Industry Dynamics...LTL's not under labor agreements (huge flexibility), cut throat pricing, fuel prices, CSA points, 2008 recession that is dragging on and may never end. The Master Contracts are not negotiated on the Local level, just enforced by them. You are correct in urging all member's to attend and get involved and engaged. In the mean time, let's all go to work and show the World what Organized Labor is capable of. Remember, a lot of the Non's employee's are watching and wanting to sign cards, I'm sure you go to the other Boards and read the threads as do I...let's give them good reason to want to join this "TEAM".

Everyone is making excellent points!! The collusion will be pursued!!!! The dropping of Lawsuit? ABF was already defeated for most part, but it was time to play nice and make up!! That in itself is misrepresentation!! There is so much to go through. We are flurting with the issue of filing charges, filing a lawsuit, not following protocol and if we don't follow a protocol, we can actually be charged and kicked out of Teamsters Union!!! Also if we sue Teamsters, we are faced with legal costs unless the attorney goes pro-bono which is possible.. He likes this case!!

I along with a fellow worker here at ABF met with a local labor attorney and discussed ABF and the recent contract and the representation and presentation of facts to members. More importantly the facts that have followed that we are seeing with the overuse of purchased transportation, the misuse and misrepresentation of the purchased transportation as we were told it would be used. The facts regarding the presentation of ABF's losses and it actually profiting at the time of the contract. The fact ABF has asked for modification to new hire vacation policy since ratification (but turned down by IBT)! Most importantly the scam of misinforming members/ misleading members,, (conflict of interest) with IBT on the so called purchasing of ABF by YRCW..

Extremely good case of misrepresentation!! Suggests that charges be filed with NLRB.. Very familiar with it all

The corrupt international union uses a technique called "ELECTIONEERING". look it up.
It's dirty and deceptive but doesn't rise to "coersion". Hoffa knows this,too.he's a lawyer.
Coersion would be a cause of action. Electioneering is not.
Good luck. Hope you have an ambitious lawyer. It's gonna take one
To bust their scams. ( your best chance will be if you're in a district with a republican federal judge)

canaryinthemine,...first, I work for YRCF. also, I enjoy reading your post, they are sincere and well thought out. I'm sure that you realize our situation is very different (colossal debt) from that of ABF. I don't feel as many do that we were "sold out", rather, I feel the IBT did the best they could with what little they had to work with. Keep in mind that we have a third party to all of this ...The Lender's, 7 different Banks and countless Hedge Funds. In the ABF scenario, you had Roy and Judy trying to sue the IBT and YRCW three times for the same concessions, or for monetary compensation. Judy strategically leaking her conversation with James to nudge you guys and gals to vote yes, may or may not be legal (i only have a high school diploma). Remember, law suits take a lot of time and money to pursue. Your concessions are less based on your better financials and debt. Now, add, the Industry Dynamics...LTL's not under labor agreements (huge flexibility), cut throat pricing, fuel prices, CSA points, 2008 recession that is dragging on and may never end. The Master Contracts are not negotiated on the Local level, just enforced by them. You are correct in urging all member's to attend and get involved and engaged. In the mean time, let's all go to work and show the World what Organized Labor is capable of. Remember, a lot of the Non's employee's are watching and wanting to sign cards, I'm sure you go to the other Boards and read the threads as do I...let's give them good reason to want to join this "TEAM".

Brother Sugarfoot,........Thanks for the compliments. My wife says my hat size increases daily..............I understand ,....and agree, in part,....about ABF's and YRC's negotiations being fundamentally different. YRC,..through accquisitions, leveraged themselves into the tenuous position they are in. Stellar management? Or,...as some have thought, an attempt was made,....with Teamster collusion, mind you,...to grow YRCF to the point where they had too many employees for the Government to allow them to go bankrupt,....thereby, by default,...putting the U.S. taxpayer on the hook to keep YRCF funded,.....Just like GM. The only differing factor was the employment lists contained CDL-A HAZ-MAT, D/T holders,...which, about 5 years ago, started to be a hot commodity. I bet you didn't think of yourself as a "commodity". None of us do, I'm sure. Anyway,...that "commodity",...which is the only way to legally and safely move freight in this country ( I don't care how many trucks you have,....worthless without drivers. Trucks can be rented.....) was recognized by Wall Street traders as a reason to fund a self-crippled and mis-managed company. This would be the reason that YRC has so many hedge-fund and Wall Street big bank fundrs,......when, by all rights,....YRC should've foundered like the Titanic by now.. Why,....in Zeus' Name,....our Overlords of Labor,....The IBT 'leadership",... didn't recognize this,...and APPLY it to the ABF negotiations,....the ongoing YRC negotiations,...is absolutely beyond me,....UNLESS,....that "commodity" is tied to a stock price that the IBT is benefiting from. Didn't the IBT receive quite a bit of stock options in their YRC dealings? The Teamsters own Constitution prohibits conflicts of interest that would affect contract negotiations. Holding YRC stock, and having two "employees" on YRC's Board of Directors,......would that not be a "conflict"?....Or,...as the IBT would put it..."They are looking after the interests of YRC employees",......and,...oh-by-the-way,....we'll make a few dollars in the process. The IBT wouldn't be holding stock in some of the "purchased transportation",...or some of the hiring agencies supplying temporary dock workers,....would they? How about individual officers? The point I was trying to make is that we,....as Teamsters,...took it for granted that the IBT "leadership" had our best interests at heart,....so we quit paying attention to how we were being represented........All of us did, YRC, ABF, .....all the failed companies. I mean the rank-and-file. So,.....now that there's an absolute shortage of qualified drivers,...."commodity",....that will only get much worse as 60 year olds start realizing that, thanks to Obamacare,...they no longer have to wait for Medicare age to retire,........which will only exacerbate the shortage of "commodity",.....the IBT is "negotiating" sub-standard giveback contracts designed to cheapen the price of the "commodity". Why? Are they that clueless as to the conditions in the trucking industry? If they are, then they have no business negotiating for us. What may be worse, though,...is that someone may be profiting by "negotiating" a cheaper price for the "commodity",.......a backhanded way to manipulate a commodity price. By the way, Brother,....you're one up on me. I don't have a high school diploma. Just a big dummy truck driver,..........But I know the taste of crap when it's spoon-fed to me by people who purportedly are "looking out for my interests". WE are the Union. Let's get rid of the Rot at the Top. R.I.P NMFA 1963 - 2013 Done In By The Son Of The Man That Created You.

And,....Brother Sugarfoot,....Yes there are quite a few nons looking at this site. Some of them understand,.......Most of them don't. I think it's critical to the future of the Teamsters,.....US, as a Union,.......to organize the smart ones who understand,......not the weak-kneed ones who only want to use a collective bargaining agreement to benefit themselves, personally. We have our share of them already organized,........There's a tough fight ahead, and we need the best troops,.....not the behind-the-lines support troops. We'll win this fight,...it'll take years,.....but when we're done,....this will be a strong, united Union......

The corrupt international union uses a technique called "ELECTIONEERING". look it up.
It's dirty and deceptive but doesn't rise to "coersion". Hoffa knows this,too.he's a lawyer.
To bust their scams. ( your best chance will be if you're in a district with a republican federal judge)

Well,.....Yeah,....a Republican judge would wet his pants at the chance to find Union officials guilty of Jaywalking,.....let alone a hint of corruption. That's why I think we should do this "in house" as it were. Vote out the Local officers who support the IBT officers that "negotiate" rotten contracts. Take away their power at a Local level. Incompetency is not a crime, even if the results are criminal.........For an IBT officer to forget his oath of office, and fail to do right by his represented members,....is pretty incompetent, in my eyes. But,.....if it's proven that an IBT officer profited,...in any way,....through stock dealings,......I guess a little Republican witch-hunting might be in order,....if only to expedite our housecleaning..........

Canary- God created me. His Son will never 'do me (or you) in'....

Re-Read again, James,........I was referring to Mr. Hoffa Senior, and the National Master Freight Agreement,......and how it was destroyed on Mr. Hoffa Junior's watch.

I hear you, but to go as far and file appropriate documents with the SEC well after the "rumor" got out to cover their behinds because the rumor or what could be described as electioneering, which is not, electioneering is when a person or company endorses or campaigns for, Not puts out fake info that they will buy a multi-billion dollar corporation as a result of a less than 1 hour meeting. This issue is all dealt with in press releases, company releases and SEC filings all dated...