ABF | Memorial Day Article

TurnCoat

The IBT--Looking out for YOU...and...THEM!
Credits
I just read this and it really made me think. I know we all have someone in our lives that has or is serving in the military and many vets working at ABF. To those who are off I wish you a great time with family and friends, and my prayers go out for all those working. Have a safe trip and no injuries on the docks. Lord I am truly grateful, and we ask You to keep us! Only in You are we forever safe! Give us the will and courage to strive to be more like YOU! I know I come miserably short, but I ask Your forgiveness and I will try to continue to learn from my mistakes and not repeat them. Amen

SEAL who shot bin Laden: Don't wish me a happy Memorial Day

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018...in-laden-dont-wish-me-happy-memorial-day.html

Last edited:
Not for Big business or todays generation. Many retail stores open now for major holidays sometimes not till later in the day. Check these out and this year it may double! https://www.dealnews.com/features/black-friday-store-hours/ Hell...ABF Teamsters have to be Vets to get Veterans Day off! We have a big crew here for Thanksgiving 30 -40 friends and family and more passing through, lotta laughs but last 2 years a few left early? That's right! early bird specials for Black Friday sales. Saving 10$ on a pair of jeans or 35$ on a TV somehow became more important than quality time with family. Many immigrants don't share our holidays and CEO's, Boards and Shareholders across our great country some 15-20 years ago said hmmmm... and now here we are with the degradation of the America we grew up with and "respected"

Not for Big business or todays generation. Many retail stores open now for major holidays sometimes not till later in the day. Check these out and this year it may double! https://www.dealnews.com/features/black-friday-store-hours/ Hell...ABF Teamsters have to be Vets to get Veterans Day off! We have a big crew here for Thanksgiving 30 -40 friends and family and more passing through, lotta laughs but last 2 years a few left early? That's right! early bird specials for Black Friday sales. Saving 10$ on a pair of jeans or 35$ on a TV somehow became more important than quality time with family. Many immigrants don't share our holidays and CEO's, Boards and Shareholders across our great country some 15-20 years ago said hmmmm... and now here we are with the degradation of the America we grew up with and "respected"

I grew up with ‘Blue Laws.’

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_law

I appreciate the sentiment, but I need kerosene for my lantern, and after I get my weekly chores done, I need the general store to be open on Sunday so I can get supplies.

Again like I said "Family is Second!" if you were reading into it. Sentiment is exactly right and I must have the best family ever because there are few things I'd rather do than be with them. You might be right Elwood maybe I'm spoiled. Your answer may explain why kids have little respect for that family time. Pretty sure you just told me you wouldn't pick up your "kerosene" a day early or a day late to spend time with your family and or friends. Might be an ABF thing? Never ran across this at any other outfit I worked for. There are quite a few here at ABF who think like you! Again I count myself lucky.. not pokin' fun at ya!

Chowda, I think it is a truck diver thing. Or maybe a road driver thing. Most of my friends are road drivers and we have spent so much time alone that we have become institutionalized into being loners, or maybe, that is why we chose this profession. All I know for sure is most of my friends are like me. We prefer alone time to family time. And most, if not all, of my friends have been my friends for over 20 years. And we go years without seeing each other. We do talk and text quite often.

Happy Memorial Day to you and your family.

Some truth to the road driver thing but I think ABF's quick to layoff policy had something to do with it. It's a culture here. City men making 70-75G a year. I've had a few years making high 60's and by Christmas I was left thinking where the hell did the last 12 months go. Those kind of hours take a toll on you physically and mentally. We have a few who have done it every single year for the 14 that I've been here and if I were to post the pictures of all on our list I'm betting a seasoned driver could pick them out easily. Seen it on my own face after weeks/months of 12-14 hour shifts. Nature does not let you cash in all those ABF good worker credits at the end. With 8 bankrupt Teamster outfits under my belt I've seen too many "good" workers either not make it to pension or pass soon after. I guess it gives me a strong opinion on this subject. My take is that it's easy to get caught up in that money and even easier to get stuck there trying to live beyond your means. You and yours also enjoy this Memorial Day, hope you're getting more sun than we are.