FedEx Freight | Merity based pay increase at Fedex...What is top rate going to be?

We agree to disagree. I think no less of you for your opinions an hope you do the same. There are places near my barn that are close to that but I chose to not live there. We have guys that drive 60 to 80 miles to work so they can have a really nice house for their family for around 200k.

Heck I wish houses around here were that cheap also, the big army base took care of the low cost housing and desent property taxes we used to have...

There is a service center no more than 20 miles from our SC that's in the top wage bracket. The SCM there lives in our service territory. Most of the drivers there live in our territory or in a less expensive city in their territory.
So how about if wages were based on a "census"? That is wages are based on where the majority of the employees live and shop?
There are some areas tha would be too big for this like the Bay Area of California etc.
Would a census be fair?

BD, who said wages should be fair? They're based upon supply and demand. It's far easier to get someone to commute to the higher paid terminal if the wage is higher. Simple fact is the company needs to fully staff every yard. The one's in the higher cost areas or in areas where it's dangerous just to drive to work, are always going to get paid more, regardless of where the employees actually live. One example of folks being unrealistic is a small yard 200 miles from mine, where housing is 20 cents on the dollar and gas costs 40 cents a gallon less. The road drivers there never shut up about being paid $3 an hour less than my barn. Heck, they can live well on half the money I try to make ends meet on. They live like kings and complain like paupers while running 480 runs with no dockwork..

ST

so what you're saying is you made a better choice? Still, the company needs drivers in places like silicon valley, where the cost of living is outrageous. In my area in socal, a 3 bedroom 2 bath house on 1/4 acre will cost you $400,000, if you're willing to live 25 miles from the yard. The same house within 5 miles of the yard is $650,000. How's the cost of housing in your neck of the woods? This is why my barn gets $25.63 per hour. And it's nowhere near enough when you consider California tax rates.

ST

Silent Trucker, are you a Fedex Freight driver? I thought we all made the same per hour within California. We are at 24.93 in Southern California.

Yes, 4 terminals in socal get the rate I mentioned. Guess you've been sleeping at the wheel.

I wouldn't call 21 consecutive years of safe driving sleeping at the wheel, just asking a question. We are not all as well informed as Silent Trucker, that's what I thought this board was all about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Salt Lake City, we got 43cents per hr. bringing us up to $24.28hr. I personally think we should get 25-$26hr. since Linehaul averages around $34-$36hr. if you break down the hrs. they work. At least they did not take anything away like other LTL companies, like recently ABF at -7%
. Linehaul averages that because they don't figure OT into our pay. If you break down the amount of hours we work per week, we are about right on par with what P&D drivers are getting. You all seem to forget we are putting in 60+ per week for our paycheck.

A road driver with an 8 1/2 hour run makes way more than a day in the city.

And deserves every penny for working nights, weekends, holidays and dealing with scales that city drivers never encounter. Had a city driver scream obscenities at me the other day for deadlining his tractor for unsafe drive tires. They were racing slicks, and he wasn't willing to write anything on the DVIR, because he didn't want to risk losing the truck for a day so they could replace the drive tires...before anyone asks, he drives a 10,000 series R tractor.

ST