XPO | Message for Corporate. Re: P&D Overtime

ScotchNeat

TB Veteran
Credits
The following post assumes that what's happening at my location is happening at others. Apparently, our location is over it's goal for P&D OT and the SCM was told to do something about it. Recently, we were called to a special meeting and informed that the P&D start times were being temporarily backed up by 1/2 hour in order to pay less OT. We were told the reason is because our freight is getting back too late and that it is a "systemic" problem. As you can imagine, this caused a considerable amount of anger from the drivers. So I want to share my thoughts on this with the corporate data gazers, most of whom wouldn't even know how to release the brakes of big truck, let alone operate in a busy city environment. Here are a few points for the top brass to consider.

1. The men are going to realize that the company doesn't respect their loyalty, I mean we all started off at the bottom, being on call and having late start times in hopes that after a few years, we would climb the ladder and be able to bid on start times that were more suited to our lives away from work. Forcing SCMs to push forward our start times sends us the message that you don't really respect the time we've put in, not good for you.

2. Pushing ahead start times can cause disruptions at home. Us working class folks, we are told when to come to work, we don't get to set our own hours therefore we have to schedule our lives around our start times. Perhaps corporate doesn't care about disrupting the lives of it's employees, it would seem so. Messing with an employee's personal life, not good for you.

3. Getting us on the street later because no one can seem to fix this so called "systemic" problem with linehaul and FAC's holding drivers over late might be caused by the fact that we don't have enough help and moreover, that we can't seem to hire more help no matter how much we sweeten the offer. One thing I've noticed about this company, even when it was still Con-Way is that we always seem to have a number of drivers who quit each year to work for the competition, but the competition doesn't seem to shed drivers that want to come work for us. Would any of your corporate types care to hazard a guess as to why that might be? I'm sure my fellow drivers would be happy to paint in the color on that picture for you.

There are other things I could mention, but I'm open those up to other drivers who care to opine and leave you with a prediction. If drivers are going to have their start times pushed forward and this practice continues, you will eventually find yourselves with even less seated drivers than you already have because some of us aren't going to stand for being leaned on in this way and will move on. You will then be in a situation where you have less drivers, paying them even more overtime to get the same work done. Getting yourself into a situation like this is really not where you want to go in a labor market as tight as this one.

I hope that some of you corporate types will read this post and pass it on to Mr. Jacobs since he's the guy who has the power to show us the love. Thank You.

I have read a couple articles that came out about the 2nd qtr results and they stated that the company will be making major strives to reduce operating cost over the next year. This might have something to do with trying to cut o/t.

The only way to get them to listen to the employees is to stand to gather as one unit. You find a way to do that you can have a voice. Until then bend over and take it
I seem to remember purplehammer from FedEx saying he wanted to help you guy's. Why not ask him to talk to XPO management.

I can't think of any way to get them to change their minds. I think you just have to live with it and make the best of the situation. You can sleep in later that's one positive aspect.

The following post assumes that what's happening at my location is happening at others. Apparently, our location is over it's goal for P&D OT and the SCM was told to do something about it. Recently, we were called to a special meeting and informed that the P&D start times were being temporarily backed up by 1/2 hour in order to pay less OT. We were told the reason is because our freight is getting back too late and that it is a "systemic" problem. As you can imagine, this caused a considerable amount of anger from the drivers. So I want to share my thoughts on this with the corporate data gazers, most of whom wouldn't even know how to release the brakes of big truck, let alone operate in a busy city environment. Here are a few points for the top brass to consider.

1. The men are going to realize that the company doesn't respect their loyalty, I mean we all started off at the bottom, being on call and having late start times in hopes that after a few years, we would climb the ladder and be able to bid on start times that were more suited to our lives away from work. Forcing SCMs to push forward our start times sends us the message that you don't really respect the time we've put in, not good for you.

2. Pushing ahead start times can cause disruptions at home. Us working class folks, we are told when to come to work, we don't get to set our own hours therefore we have to schedule our lives around our start times. Perhaps corporate doesn't care about disrupting the lives of it's employees, it would seem so. Messing with an employee's personal life, not good for you.

3. Getting us on the street later because no one can seem to fix this so called "systemic" problem with linehaul and FAC's holding drivers over late might be caused by the fact that we don't have enough help and moreover, that we can't seem to hire more help no matter how much we sweeten the offer. One thing I've noticed about this company, even when it was still Con-Way is that we always seem to have a number of drivers who quit each year to work for the competition, but the competition doesn't seem to shed drivers that want to come work for us. Would any of your corporate types care to hazard a guess as to why that might be? I'm sure my fellow drivers would be happy to paint in the color on that picture for you.

There are other things I could mention, but I'm open those up to other drivers who care to opine and leave you with a prediction. If drivers are going to have their start times pushed forward and this practice continues, you will eventually find yourselves with even less seated drivers than you already have because some of us aren't going to stand for being leaned on in this way and will move on. You will then be in a situation where you have less drivers, paying them even more overtime to get the same work done. Getting yourself into a situation like this is really not where you want to go in a labor market as tight as this one.

I hope that some of you corporate types will read this post and pass it on to Mr. Jacobs since he's the guy who has the power to show us the love. Thank You.

This is a great post. Well written. On fortunately, you just don't get it. Slash and cash, cut and gut. Nothing but more and more of this to come.

I have read a couple articles that came out about the 2nd qtr results and they stated that the company will be making major strives to reduce operating cost over the next year. This might have something to do with trying to cut o/t.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/edited-transcript-xpo-earnings-conference-204849835.html

In LTL, we're ramping up volumes. Our investments in local account executives, our feet on the street are paying off. We've also hired over 650 new dockworkers in the last 6 months to support our growth. At the same time, we're delivering our best ever LTL margins.

Our transformation in Big Data, teams are using labor analytics to model an optimal solution for any given day based on the amount of work forecasted. They look at things like pickup and delivery hours, dock hours, overtime, part-time and full-time labor. That's the next big efficiency for us in LTL, workforce utilization aligned with engineered standards. This work is going on in a highly coordinated way in both North America and our European transportation businesses.

So we have strong momentum going in both logistics and transportation. We're on track to meet our higher EBITDA projections for this year and next year as well as our free cash flow targets. The bridge from 2017 to 2018 is mid-single-digit organic growth and approximately 100 basis points of margin improvement to reach 10% EBITDA margin. Our ongoing initiatives include cost reductions in areas like procurement, real estate, back-office efficiencies, labor productivity and asset utilization.

Straight from the conference call. While XPO chooses not to communicate directly with it's employees. The information is right there in the open.

I wonder if this post will ever cross Mr. Jacobs desk. Even if he disagrees with what you say, he needs to read it. For it is reality slapping him up side the face. Maybe not right now, but down the road it might cost this company dearly. von.

It astounds me why still no communication. You think they would take heed to this ... it's a major missed opportunity to build something.

It astounds me why still no communication. You think they would take heed to this ... it's a major missed opportunity to build something.
You should look at the local level. We're getting emails and communication posted daily.

Are SCM talks to us all the time. There's new postings on the board once or twice a week. Usually have a safety meeting once a week where other topics come up. Monthly update meetings and quarterly videos and meetings. Any time a regional manager or any kind of brass is in the barn we always have a meeting that day.

Are SCM talks to us all the time. There's new postings on the board once or twice a week. Usually have a safety meeting once a week where other topics come up. Monthly update meetings and quarterly videos and meetings. Any time a regional manager or any kind of brass is in the barn we always have a meeting that day.

I don't remember the last time we have had a meeting at our barn. The only info i get about our company is from here.

The only way to get them to listen to the employees is to stand to gather as one unit. You find a way to do that you can have a voice. Until then bend over and take it
Ya nailed it. For any relief you have to find a way to effect their revenue flow. By doing that, you have gained their undivided attention. von.

Ya nailed it. For any relief you have to find a way to effect their revenue flow. By doing that, you have gained their undivided attention. von.
Don't go there guys, there is another thread for this kind of talk. The point of this thread is to make management aware of what's going on outside of their offices. Interferring with the company's business in the way you're describing is something I and others are opposed to.

Don't go there guys, there is another thread for this kind of talk. The point of this thread is to make management aware of what's going on outside of their offices. Interferring with the company's business in the way you're describing is something I and others are opposed to.
Ok, management has seen this thread & understands what is being talked about. But do you or anyone else think that talk & no action by it's employees will force management to sign a contract resulting in a nice wage increase & paying more money in to Central States for better medical coverage & pension coverage? If you think no action by the employees will result in better wages, benefits, & working conditions, well, stay where you are. My salesman will stop by shortly to sell you that bridge. von.