XPO | Message for Corporate. Re: P&D Overtime

P&D has a sweet spot as far as when it's best to peddle. By not enforcing a certain cut-time/return-to-home-domicile-time , you push the whole "circle of life" back to a later time. It then defeats the purpose.

Also , the majority of our customers are on a traditional schedule and expect their freight on a traditional schedule. Who's going to put up with freight delivered towards the end of your work day? May as well spend less money and have it delivered by a slower carrier that will show up earlier in the day.
Hasn't changed in 30 plus yrs of Con-way exsistence and now with Xpo . In all my time with the 2 companies it's been my experience that we **** off more customers with are late in the day deliveries then create happy customers. Yes they may a day faster but to what price. It creates nothing but undue stress on the system. I'm not sure of the real gain for anyone.

Hey.....hey, don't forget the line haul drivers that sit for an hour or two or three, for their loads. Short haulers get all the dock money, long haulers sit.
I'm sure you have a time that you need to dispatch by, right? I come in every night in time to fuel, hook and dispatch by my cut time. If my loads aren't ready in time for me to hook and dispatch, for me 8:00, I punch the clock and work the dock. No sitting unpaid for me unless I don't want to work. If the FOS knows my loads won't be ready in time, he will text me and let me know about what time to come in. Some drivers will sit for hours off the clock, though some now will work the outbound dock. The company can't expect you to be there waiting "on call". Once and a while, ok, a regular thing, no way. But to each there own I guess.

I'm sure you have a time that you need to dispatch by, right? I come in every night in time to fuel, hook and dispatch by my cut time. If my loads aren't ready in time for me to hook and dispatch, for me 8:00, I punch the clock and work the dock. No sitting unpaid for me unless I don't want to work. If the FOS knows my loads won't be ready in time, he will text me and let me know about what time to come in. Some drivers will sit for hours off the clock, though some now will work the outbound dock. The company can't expect you to be there waiting "on call". Once and a while, ok, a regular thing, no way. But to each there own I guess.
Yep. Agree 100 percent. It's on my dispatcher to text or call me if there's an issue and my dispatch is pushed back.

Ah.....yes the good ole days. I remember them like it was yesterday. No forklifts sitting on the outbound anymore. Dock full of part-timers and short haulers. Number one is out the door on time, usually. Everyone else is in for a long nite with a good chance of a late morning via.

Ah.....yes the good ole days. I remember them like it was yesterday. No forklifts sitting on the outbound anymore. Dock full of part-timers and short haulers. Number one is out the door on time, usually. Everyone else is in for a long nite with a good chance of a late morning via.
Those late vias..... Another reason to start your 14 hour clock by working the o/b. If you're going to be there, might as well get paid!

Yep. Agree 100 percent. It's on my dispatcher to text or call me if there's an issue and my dispatch is pushed back.

At OD we have to give an hour then they start paying, but only $10/hr. At the break terminals most of us aren't given an option to work the dock. Hell most of us aren't even forklift certified (I'm not) so we couldn't work the dock if we wanted. In my opinion, it's called a cut time for a reason. If the company doesn't hold up their end of the bargain and get me out on time, I should get paid my hourly rate until they do. After all, they would scream bloody murder if I was late to work and my loads were ready. Tit for tat.

Reactions: Ump
At OD we have to give an hour then they start paying, but only $10/hr. At the break terminals most of us aren't given an option to work the dock. Hell most of us aren't even forklift certified (I'm not) so we couldn't work the dock if we wanted. In my opinion, it's called a cut time for a reason. If the company doesn't hold up their end of the bargain and get me out on time, I should get paid my hourly rate until they do. After all, they would scream bloody murder if I was late to work and my loads were ready. Tit for tat.

$10/ hr. What kind of ::shit:: is that I thought at first but then I realized we get zero.

$10/ hr. What kind of :::shit::: is that I thought at first but then I realized we get zero.

It's not much but it's something... That's what we get at the hotel 2 hrs after our due time... I'll sit at the hotel and watch Judge Judy for $10/hr but if I've made the effort to get to the yard and was there when I'm supposed to be then I did my part. They should do theirs from there.

Those late vias..... Another reason to start your 14 hour clock by working the o/b. If you're going to be there, might as well get paid!

It is not by choice that we sit. We only get on the dock if there is a forklift available. If we punch in on dock and sit in the break room, sooner or later the management will figure out we are stealing company time, then its is bye, bye señor. These part timers our taking our jobs. I do not blame them, I blame all the drivers that sandbag on the dock and weasel themselves out of getting the dock money. Management has been way to lenient in order to retain drivers, they have been neutered.

It is not by choice that we sit. We only get on the dock if there is a forklift available. If we punch in on dock and sit in the break room, sooner or later the management will figure out we are stealing company time, then its is bye, bye señor. These part timers our taking our jobs. I do not blame them, I blame all the drivers that sandbag on the dock and weasel themselves out of getting the dock money. Management has been way to lenient in order to retain drivers, they have been neutered.
I too remember when there were no forklifts available for us. In that case, I would ask to help with racks and dunnage to help get out of there. If the fos won't let you work the dock and your tm can't help communicate your desire to get the work done and get on the road, I'd tell the fos to call me when my loads are ready and I'll come in at that time. I've told my tm I won't sit off the clock waiting for loads and the fos knows it. I would think he would want you to help out so he/she could close the o/b.
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, there must be a way for everyone to get what they want.
Last night, keep in mind it's Monday (city drivers out on the road early), 5 out of ten l/h drivers left after 10:00 pm. To me that's pretty crazy. I was told I might have loads for you by 8:15. I punched at 8:06 to fuel, then went to work the ob.
As far as sandbagging, yeah, I'm sure we have some, but most of our dock help and all of our drivers are pretty motivated to get the job done. We have a good crew, some experienced and some new. We are lucky in that respect.

Hey company monitor's maybe you guy's can pass this on to corporate.
Hot Dog's and Bull ::shit:: isn't a way to show respect to the employees. You guy's may want to tell that to the UOS shop manager. Also him standing around in a corner with his click (kiss ass brother's)and gossiping or conspiring to **** over people isn't a good management trait.. You corporate guy's or ladies may want to teach him what it is to manage ,not be a punk ass bully. That's why people have no respect for him. Any way's maybe you guy's can get the regional back over to the UOS shop so i can finish having the talk we started. It's bull ::shit:: how the punk ass manager and his kiss asses were so proud of themselves that the CSR got fired.
Bunch of punks!!! They have no respect for anyone or what they do..

Hey company monitor's maybe you guy's can pass this on to corporate.
Hot Dog's and Bull :::shit::: isn't a way to show respect to the employees. You guy's may want to tell that to the UOS shop manager. Also him standing around in a corner with his click (kiss ass brother's)and gossiping or conspiring to :censored: over people isn't a good management trait.. You corporate guy's or ladies may want to teach him what it is to manage ,not be a punk ass bully. That's why people have no respect for him. Any way's maybe you guy's can get the regional back over to the UOS shop so i can finish having the talk we started. It's bull :::shit::: how the punk ass manager and his kiss asses were so proud of themselves that the CSR got fired.
Bunch of punks!!! They have no respect for anyone or what they do..

How can you possibly see a future here with all that you have said you witnessed ? Why do you still work here ?

Hasn't changed in 30 plus yrs of Con-way exsistence and now with Xpo . In all my time with the 2 companies it's been my experience that we **** off more customers with are late in the day deliveries then create happy customers.

Maybe the guy in the warehouse is pissed, but maybe their customer isn't. I doubt we could compete if we slowed down- we can't afford bargain rates. Maybe they'll try the economy thing, but they're not going to just start holding freight so everyone gets an 0600 start time.

How can you possibly see a future here with all that you have said you witnessed ? Why do you still work here ?

Talk is cheap. Abused daily, can't afford to live, hates his shop. Still punches in every day. Must not be THAT bad.

I've known a lot of people like that in my time here. 10, 20 year guys. Raising families. Buying houses and boats and snow machines and motorcycles. Still talk like they just finished getting beaten with a stick in a labor camp in Pyongyang. Yeah, must be awful.

Talk is cheap. Abused daily, can't afford to live, hates his shop. Still punches in every day. Must not be THAT bad.

I've known a lot of people like that in my time here. 10, 20 year guys. Raising families. Buying houses and boats and snow machines and motorcycles. Still talk like they just finished getting beaten with a stick in a labor camp in Pyongyang. Yeah, must be awful.
Again. You guy's are always twisting thing. Please show me where i have posted that i hate my job??
What i do hate is punk ass lying bullies. If your in a position of power it does it give you the right to treat people like ::shit::. Well maybe in your world it is.

hates his shop. Still punches in every day. Must not be THAT bad.

Do you the word hate?? And shop? What do i do at the shop? Do i serve cake and coffee?

Since you brought it up. It seems like you spend the entire time starting ::shit:: or looking for reasons to start ::shit::.

You know working with a guy like this has to be the best of times. Everyday, a new reason for the rain cloud following him around.