XPO | Message for Corporate. Re: P&D Overtime

The one thing that caught my eye..."650 dock workers hired". Wow, unfortunately for most of these people this is just a temporary way for them to make a few extra bucks. Most have no experience handling freight, and what little training they get here, doesn't help with the way freight is being handled. No doubt PT dock workers are needed, but it's clearly a revolving door. How about going back to using linehaul drivers who run 100 miles or less on the outbound dock?? Yeah I'm sure some places still utilize these people, but many service centers don't and won't let those who want to work their OB dock swipe in to do so. Seems to be a waste of experienced man power. Another waste of man power and time is live unloads at amazon....prior to our little falling out with them, we were able to drop trls, grap an empty and go. Now, we sit 2, 3 5 hrs waiting on them to unload ..., and it's no secret we're missing pickups or not getting freight delivered.....maybe work something out with them in regards to how many trls are spotted there? Way to many unproductive man hours lost at Amazon, and also at the numerous grocery store whses that require sort and seg. Nothing wrong with a little sort and seg...but when your at a place like that, with mulplite orders that break down into quadruple the skids, well....that is clearly wasted time. Maybe follow suit with most of our other LTL competitors..., refuse to do it, drop trls and let the shipper arrange the unloading. Yeah, I know it ties up trls, but it frees up drivers and tractors.....which leads to more freight getting delivered (On time) and less missed pickups. As far as overtime...., control it, use and provide it as needed....but most of all, pay it the "same" "system wide" for all full time employees.

As the driver shortage continues and all the while they continue to put the squeeze on pay roll. You have to wonder if they won't have to start eliminating some of that freight ?

Spot on. The issues you pointed out have always been there. What you point out as far as ways to save and improve come mainly from a drivers perspective. To address the issues that a driver points out would require those in charge to do something that is unheard of now: Listen. Learn. Cooporate.

If the management wanted to make LASTING long term improvements to this or any other LTL , there's plenty of great ideas and people willing to share them. All you have to do is stop talking for a minute and listen to the people that DO the work everyday. Meet the customers. Everyday. Deal with REAL WORLD situations. EVERYDAY. People who actually use the crappy software ( instead of reading how it works ) - people who follow BAD instructions and try their damnedest to make GOOD things happen. People with experience that know it won't work the way someone crunching numbers says it should.

Staring at computer screens and trying to reinvent the wheel seems like an enormous waste if you can can't utilize common sense in day to day business.

Even with ALL of the stupid mistakes management has made over the years , most of these companies that are ran poorly ( but they make money ) are able to keep going because of hard working everyday people with common sense... not some money grubbing guy in an office that doesn't have a clue.

But if you stare at the bottom line long enough, it's all you see and it's all that matters. Loosing drivers and customers must be improving the bottom line. The second quarter had an amazingly low operating ratio. And they want it lower for the next two quarters. So, I am guessing we will see even more of the same.

But if you stare at the bottom line long enough, it's all you see and it's all that matters. Loosing drivers and customers must be improving the bottom line. The second quarter had an amazingly low operating ratio. And they want it lower for the next two quarters. So, I am guessing we will see even more of the same.
How low can you go?

Got a start time eliminated and bunch of drivers pushed back an hour. Told it was because of linehaul drivers getting back late. They have been getting back at these same times for years.

Got a start time eliminated and bunch of drivers pushed back an hour. Told it was because of linehaul drivers getting back late. They have been getting back at these same times for years.

Gotta cut those hours every chance they get. Results matter. And TMs are getting fired or quitting before they do.

Many service centers adjust their start times several times a year. Something that has been going on forever.
Even the unions shops do it to. I drive I know at UPS freight says when they layoff in the winter there start times get changed and canceled

I think he is pointing out how far up it has reached this time. And that wholesale changes are effecting everyone. Not just the flex board and bottom bids.
Exactly. You know at this point, it seems like the only thing we, as drivers have left is our seniority and the privilege that goes with it and this move has now stripped us of that card also. With this newly found concern about overtime, the company has effectively sent a message that their bottom line is more important than having loyal and experienced drivers, who can take care of customers and their freight. And for the union guys who read this, don't bother telling me the union will fix it because it won't. What will fix it, at least for me, is when I do what so many others have done and give this company the big middle finger as I walk out the door to work for the competition.

Exactly. You know at this point, it seems like the only thing we, as drivers have left is our seniority and the privilege that goes with it and this move has now stripped us of that card also. With this newly found concern about overtime, the company has effectively sent a message that their bottom line is more important than having loyal and experienced drivers, who can take care of customers and their freight. And for the union guys who read this, don't bother telling me the union will fix it because it won't. What will fix it, at least for me, is when I do what so many others have done and give this company the big middle finger as I walk out the door to work for the competition.
I'm not so sure that seniors guys leaving may be something that's works for them . No offense but you leaving isn't really hurting them as long as you can be replaced with a body.

I'm not so sure that seniors guys leaving may be something that's works for them . No offense but you leaving isn't really hurting them as long as you can be replaced with a body.

Works for both parties. The company very clearly isn't concerned with losing drivers. The drivers aren't concerned with leaving the company. Mutually beneficial.

I'm not coming at this from the angle of hurting the company, it's about doing what I feel is best for me. Part of my decision to come on board with Con-Way was based on what I believed to be their record of superior customer service compared to most competitors. XPO has demonstrated to me that they are perfectly fine conforming with the status quo regarding damages and slow paying of claims and if they don't get it together, I'm gone. It's a personal decision based on my ideas about what I think good service should be and nothing more.

Gotta cut those hours every chance they get. Results matter. And TMs are getting fired or quitting before they do.
Agreed HS, corporate is cutting and will continue to cut hours. What gets me is that at our barn there are always a few p&d guys who come to work before sun up and leave after sun down,(everyday).No other p&d guys come close to their ot hours. Is management afraid to cut their hours cause they don't want to hear the whining by these guys or what? I give up trying to figure this delema out.

Yup, when drivers leave at our barn we look at each other and say...NEXT? And I'm sure that management echoes the same sentiment. I heard an apt illustration that appliphies this sentiment. When you withdraw your hand from a bucket of water, how long does it take the water in that bucket to fill in the hole where your hand was? Not very long... neither does it take very long for management to forget about you leaving and replacing you. Sad, but true... this company is about the business of making MONEY...that's it!!!

Agreed HS, corporate is cutting and will continue to cut hours. What gets me is that at our barn there are always a few p&d guys who come to work before sun up and leave after sun down,(everyday).No other p&d guys come close to their ot hours. Is management afraid to cut their hours cause they don't want to hear the whining by these guys or what? I give up trying to figure this delema out.

Those guys are the ones that actually work. Make the numbers look good with their production. They can do whatever they want. I used to work crazy hours in the city. Everyone else went home and I just stayed busy. If you are working they ain't going to stop you.

Some city runs require o/t because there is only one driver out there. But yes, I'm sure every barn has those "special"drivers that get a boatload of o/t every week. We do.

Yup, when drivers leave at our barn we look at each other and say...NEXT? And I'm sure that management echoes the same sentiment. I heard an apt illustration that appliphies this sentiment. When you withdraw your hand from a bucket of water, how long does it take the water in that bucket to fill in the hole where your hand was? Not very long... neither does it take very long for management to forget about you leaving and replacing you. Sad, but true... this company is about the business of making MONEY...that's it!!!
It's getting frustrating with all the attrition from drivers quitting, retiring or the occasional firing, our driver count is down every year meaning less vacation time available for those of us left (especially those of us in the middle or bottom seniority wise). Drivers are not being replaced at the same rate they are leaving.