Message for Corporate. Re: P&D Overtime

Discussion in 'XPO Logistics' started by ScotchNeat, Aug 4, 2017.

1. highspeeds

highspeeds ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY

One company said they are giving stock to show respect to the drivers. Is that how XPO does it ? hhhmmmm ? As I recall we can't even BUY it if we want to. That's interesting.

Rollin likes this.
  2. highspeeds

As the driver shortage continues and all the while they continue to put the squeeze on pay roll. You have to wonder if they won't have to start eliminating some of that freight ?

3. highspeeds

But if you stare at the bottom line long enough, it's all you see and it's all that matters. Loosing drivers and customers must be improving the bottom line. The second quarter had an amazingly low operating ratio. And they want it lower for the next two quarters. So, I am guessing we will see even more of the same.

icuicp likes this.
  4. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

How low can you go?

highspeeds and sucker666 like this.
  5. sucker666

sucker666 Well-Known Member

Your gonna find out.

6. ctownking

ctownking New Member

Got a start time eliminated and bunch of drivers pushed back an hour. Told it was because of linehaul drivers getting back late. They have been getting back at these same times for years.

highspeeds likes this.
  7. highspeeds

Gotta cut those hours every chance they get. Results matter. And TMs are getting fired or quitting before they do.

vetran peddleman likes this.
  8. JstBlendinIN

JstBlendinIN Member

Many service centers adjust their start times several times a year. Something that has been going on forever.

Fly-by-night likes this.
  9. Fly-by-night

Fly-by-night Only when you care to send the very best

Even the unions shops do it to. I drive I know at UPS freight says when they layoff in the winter there start times get changed and canceled

10. highspeeds

I think he is pointing out how far up it has reached this time. And that wholesale changes are effecting everyone. Not just the flex board and bottom bids.

ScotchNeat and icuicp like this.
  11. ScotchNeat

ScotchNeat Well-Known Member

Exactly. You know at this point, it seems like the only thing we, as drivers have left is our seniority and the privilege that goes with it and this move has now stripped us of that card also. With this newly found concern about overtime, the company has effectively sent a message that their bottom line is more important than having loyal and experienced drivers, who can take care of customers and their freight. And for the union guys who read this, don't bother telling me the union will fix it because it won't. What will fix it, at least for me, is when I do what so many others have done and give this company the big middle finger as I walk out the door to work for the competition.

12. sucker666

I'm not so sure that seniors guys leaving may be something that's works for them . No offense but you leaving isn't really hurting them as long as you can be replaced with a body.

vetran peddleman likes this.
  13. highspeeds

Works for both parties. The company very clearly isn't concerned with losing drivers. The drivers aren't concerned with leaving the company. Mutually beneficial.

ScotchNeat likes this.
  14. ScotchNeat

ScotchNeat Well-Known Member

I'm not coming at this from the angle of hurting the company, it's about doing what I feel is best for me. Part of my decision to come on board with Con-Way was based on what I believed to be their record of superior customer service compared to most competitors. XPO has demonstrated to me that they are perfectly fine conforming with the status quo regarding damages and slow paying of claims and if they don't get it together, I'm gone. It's a personal decision based on my ideas about what I think good service should be and nothing more.

15. sucker666

I got it. Yes it is important to believe in what you do and I respect your stance on that. Very important to me to take pride in my job. We were one of the best out there at one time. It seems size is the goal now.

ScotchNeat, JstBlendinIN and ROUGHBOY like this.
  16. vetran peddleman

vetran peddleman FOR ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY

Agreed HS, corporate is cutting and will continue to cut hours. What gets me is that at our barn there are always a few p&d guys who come to work before sun up and leave after sun down,(everyday).No other p&d guys come close to their ot hours. Is management afraid to cut their hours cause they don't want to hear the whining by these guys or what? I give up trying to figure this delema out.

dalesr likes this.
  17. vetran peddleman

vetran peddleman FOR ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY

Yup, when drivers leave at our barn we look at each other and say...NEXT? And I'm sure that management echoes the same sentiment. I heard an apt illustration that appliphies this sentiment. When you withdraw your hand from a bucket of water, how long does it take the water in that bucket to fill in the hole where your hand was? Not very long... neither does it take very long for management to forget about you leaving and replacing you. Sad, but true... this company is about the business of making MONEY...that's it!!!

vongrimmenstein and sucker666 like this.
  18. highspeeds

Those guys are the ones that actually work. Make the numbers look good with their production. They can do whatever they want. I used to work crazy hours in the city. Everyone else went home and I just stayed busy. If you are working they ain't going to stop you.

vetran peddleman, dalesr and icuicp like this.
  19. dalesr

dalesr Well-Known Member

Some city runs require o/t because there is only one driver out there. But yes, I'm sure every barn has those "special"drivers that get a boatload of o/t every week. We do.

20. dalesr

dalesr Well-Known Member

It's getting frustrating with all the attrition from drivers quitting, retiring or the occasional firing, our driver count is down every year meaning less vacation time available for those of us left (especially those of us in the middle or bottom seniority wise). Drivers are not being replaced at the same rate they are leaving.

highspeeds, ScotchNeat and sucker666 like this.