Holland | Might move south

Some my ass. It's almost impossible to be fired and stick.

We had one lose at committee 2 weeks ago for not reporting an accident.He was a regular thorn in their ass and had a couple of attendance suspensions to be heard.
That didn't help him IMO.
Company stuck to their guns about the cardinal sin and won.
We have a damn good B.A in Atlanta , so please people,report accidents (this one was on our yard) a letter or a few days suspension is probably all that will happen.

Hopefully some of the things that made Holland a good company to work for are still there in spite of YRC.
I think that usually, a terminal's work atmosphere is based on the terminal manager and his/her attitude. If the TM is an asshat, the atmosphere is horrible and so is the morale of the employees.
I had an asshat manager when I worked at Holland, and he destroyed the place. Some people on here couldn't understand how bad it could be, but it was awful. Some of those same people fully understand nowadays because they have had their opportunity to get managed by the same type of asshat since then.
For those who haven't worked for one of Holland's biggest penises......consider yourself fortunate.

If for nothing more than a contract and work rules alone a union job is still a much better job.This industry needs a union.I'm not saying it's perfect...nothing is.
I agree, for the most part.
But I will also add this.
After I left Holland, I worked at a non-union shop for a couple years and had a major blow-up with the terminal manager. We stood toe to toe, face to face, screaming at each other and he threatened to "put me out of service" (fire me) three times and told me to "quit cussing him" three different times. I challenged him to do it each time, but he didn't. I fully expected to get fired that day, even though I was in the right and was only following the directions of one of his supervisors.
Several of my co-workers saw the exchange and later commended me for standing up to the dink. I usually got along good with the guy, but he was having a bad day and thought that he was going to blow off his frustration on me.
Point being, nobody is going to disrespect me and treat me like a POS, even if it means getting fired over it. Union or no union, nobody has to tolerate abuse.
Had he fired me that day, I would have been out of work for less than 24 hours. (I proved it at a later date. I filled out 12 applications and got job offers from 10 of them.)

That is one of the reasons a union is so awesome.All the asshats can do is run their mouth and hand out letters.It doesn't intimidate the rank and file in the least.
Some take it personal when they get nit picking letters but people need to understand when you have several thousand employees the companies ,union and non Union try to address and document infractions uniformaly and consistently throughout their terminals
with the goal of a well oiled machine.
I had a friend from fedex call me all pissed off because he got a letter of discipline for starting his lunch one minute past his 6th hour even though he was going above and beyond for his company.It is standard throughout the company,the orders come from corporate.
The good workers as well as the ass kissers get letters.
The big difference between Union and non Union is job protection.No reason for us to worry about losing our job over an asshat.As a matter of fact we can make his job more miserable than he can ours if we choose to.

I agree Falcon, but I got lucky and found an employer who treats us like gold, has respect for us, pays us really well, supplies us with great equipment, and promotes teamwork. My boss rides with us twice a year for safety update purposes and when he is in the passenger seat, I forget that he's my boss and not one of by beer drinking buddies. I can't even imagine going back to the way it was at Holland when I left.
The good jobs still exist, but they are hard to find.
:1036316054:

NewPenn22 was asking about a better place to go. Do you want an honest opinion or do you just want to hear nice things about YRC?
It's a sad fact that both YRC and the Teamster organization have both turned on their people (members and employees). I hate to see it happening, but it has. Fred Zuckerman said it all lately about the Teamsters under Hoffa. He said the Teamsters under the NMFA once numbered 400,000, but now, under Hoffa, Jr., they are just a shadow of what they once were, They now number only 75,000. Those numbers speak for themselves.The Teamsters as a whole, now have the lowest membership since since 1949 - 50. Something is very wrong, especially in the Freight Division.
As for Yellow - they changed everything about their company except for their management style and their inability to run a company. They changed the name to YRC. They changed the logo. They changed the color of the trucks. They changed their symbol on the stock exchange.
All in an attempt to clean up their image and bad reputation among the public, the customers, their employees and their stockholders. It didn't work. They are still the Cancer of the Industry and teetering on bankruptcy in spite of being one of the lowest paying trucking companies out there.
Those that can leave are leaving. Finding new, qualified people to hire is next to impossible Even the middle managers are leaving.
Those are the ugly facts. ABFer was simply using logic in his opinion to NewPenn22. If a driver is young enough and can do it - why not start fresh somewhere else - even if it IS a non-union company. YRC, the Teamsters and the CSPF certainly don't have much to offer anymore.You can sugarcoat crap, but that does not change the fact that it's still crap on the inside. The IBT and YRCW have created this, not the members or the employees.

That is one of the reasons a union is so awesome.All the asshats can do is run their mouth and hand out letters.It doesn't intimidate the rank and file in the least.
Some take it personal when they get nit picking letters but people need to understand when you have several thousand employees the companies ,union and non Union try to address and document infractions uniformaly and consistently throughout their terminals
with the goal of a well oiled machine.
I had a friend from fedex call me all pissed off because he got a letter of discipline for starting his lunch one minute past his 6th hour even though he was going above and beyond for his company.It is standard throughout the company,the orders come from corporate.
The good workers as well as the ass kissers get letters.
The big difference between Union and non Union is job protection.No reason for us to worry about losing our job over an asshat.As a matter of fact we can make his job more miserable than he can ours if we choose to.
I agree with you falcon, it's not a perfect job but with it being Union there's still some things that are good and job security is one of them,although there are somethings the union can't protect you from.There are still some people continuing to whine about the last MOU,it's not going to change anything,I think that the majority of the people just don't want to here about it everyday. The only thing we can do is come to work and do our jobs the best that we can. If some people think it's such a S....y job then please find yourself one that's not.We are several years into this contract now let it GO !!!!!!!!! I refuse to wallow in it everyday and make myself or anyone else Sick by WHINNING all the time, it's not good for your HEALTH!!!!!!!!!! Just my opinion..

Talking about high jacking a thread. Goes from a fellow teamster asking for info about southern terminals to union corruption and why would you won't to be in this union. Pathetic c
I guess it's kinda like the 1st amendment. People freely talking about what bugs them. I think it gives New Penn a lot to consider on where to go and where NOT to go. Advise is free to take or ignore. I wish MORE people had given me more advise during my lifetime. I wish New Penn the best on his job search. He just need to separate the BS from the truth. The more info he gets, the easier it is to do just that.

I agree Falcon, but I got lucky and found an employer who treats us like gold, has respect for us, pays us really well, supplies us with great equipment, and promotes teamwork. My boss rides with us twice a year for safety update purposes and when he is in the passenger seat, I forget that he's my boss and not one of by beer drinking buddies. I can't even imagine going back to the way it was at Holland when I left.
Is this xpo? Not being a smart mouth, genuinely interested because I'm shopping around

Absolutely Henry, but some of your info seems a bit behind the times. This forum is a wonderful instrument for exchanging info both good and bad. It's now to the point of guessing the future or even making up stuff is ok. I try to bring others into the forum and I get "who needs this". Truckingboards is a joke at our barn and I get the credit. Sucks

Absolutely Henry, but some of your info seems a bit behind the times. This forum is a wonderful instrument for exchanging info both good and bad. It's now to the point of guessing the future or even making up stuff is ok. I try to bring others into the forum and I get "who needs this". Truckingboards is a joke at our barn and I get the credit. Sucks
That's a shame that corruption and bad management in both the Teamsters and YRC (Holland) has become a joke. That's why the last General membership vote turnout was just 16.5% of over 1.2 million that had a real say in what the Teamster organization does in the future and what it has done (and hasn't done) in the past. I worked with a lot of different people in my 38 years of paying dues. For the first 25 years, we had a good Local staffed with good people. Then corruption set in with BA's that were too busy playing golf to do their job and didn't want to be "bothered" after what THEY called "their regular business hours". Instead they got on every "committee" they could that paid them even more money and future benefits. The didn't have time to do what they were supposed to do for the local. I worked line haul from around 9 pm until around 10 am or so every night - no day runs - also Friday nights into Sunday morning nearly every weekend for years. During those first 25 years we had good BA's that were OK with taking calls at any time, whether it was in the middle of the night, at home, or on weekends, because they knew that was when we worked and their job was to represent us during OUR work hours, not just theirs, because THAT was when "problems" occurred for us, the members. Since the mid-90's our local has changed dramatically into a corrupt place full of people who only want to fill their own pockets. Now it has come down to the fact that we have only 2 people on the entire Local's staff that had any experience whatsoever with any freight company job. Try to file a grievance and they don't have a clue as to what you're talking about. But just like Hoffa, they keep getting re-elected by our members that think the whole voting process from the locals all the way to the IBT is a "joke" so why bother. 90% of the members in my local think the elections are "rigged" so they simply don't vote. The result is what we have now - but still those that were too lazy or too convinced their vote wouldn't matter - complain. That's just the way Hoffa and YRC likes it. "Divide and Conquer". YRC, YRCW and the Teamster Freight Division are now more divided than ever, but the majority of members still consider it a "joke". That's what is destroying the "brotherhood" we used to have. As a result, Hoffa and his cronies win, YRC wins big, the other companies still under the NMFA see what is possible for them by demanding givebacks, the likelyhood of another NMFA is about zero, there is no leverage of a strike threat anymore, so look for even more cutbacks in wages and benefits. What or who is going to stop it? Hoffa? Not a chance. The Teamster Freight Division membership? No way - they still have their heads in the sand and think it's a "joke". Even more cutbacks in wages and benefits would probably be OK with them. I don't like to see it, but that's what it has become. Just paying those dues has become the real "joke".

Last edited:
Sorry about the long post, Griz, but some things get me riled up. One thing is the "joke" that so many of today's Teamsters feel about what is going on in the Freight Division or the company they work at. That is exactly why the Freight Division will most likely soon disappear (but not before Hoffa and the IBT sucks every penny out of it's members as possible). Way to many members are not involved. They don't bother to vote. They don't go to union meetings. They don't speak up at the meetings they DO go to. Most are just like sheep - they go along with whatever the crowd does or whatever the union bosses say. The voter apathy in Teamster elections is shameful. It's all "dog eat dog" now. The "brotherhood" of the past is gone. I remember the times when I was on the bottom of the list with very little knowledge or experience in the freight business or the union (the way it used to be), there were senior guys that "taught me the ropes" of the business and the value of bringing new, junior "rookies" into the "Teamster brotherhood" that used to exist. I appreciated that and never forgot it. Right up until I retired, I tried to do the same to the new "rookies" in the companies I worked at, including how and when to file grievances. That has all changed now. Now the senior guys have no concern at all about the younger ones. They teach them nothing. There is no camaraderie any more.Even the focus at the local I was in, now is not freight like it used to be. Now it is everything from parking lot attendants to funeral homes workers,grave diggers,.construction, police, health care, bakery workers, manufacturing, etc. The list goes on. Only two of the 19 officials in the local have any experience at all in the freight business - but yet they keep getting re-elected.
We truly ARE our own worst enemy.

Some my ass. It's almost impossible to be fired and stick.
Up to a point, I agree with you. Even the "standards" on justified firing has been dropped, because they know a driver (especially a long time experienced driver) can't be replaced. They're now having real problems even hiring green rookies with little or no experience. The people that seem to be "bullet proof" sit in the upper and middle management offices. THEY are the one's that should be fired for incompetence. Instead, they get periodic bonuses.

Lucky you. You have found something in this industry that is very rare. Years ago I worked framing new apartment construction & the contractor treated us like we were gold & then some. He never once had a labor issue & we had respect for each other because of the attitude of both the employer & the employee. Very hard to find back then & now days. von.

Charlotte in my opinion would be better to run road out of due their road board hasn't grown as much as Atlanta but due to so much freight they bring in when freight is slow you go out and turn back home be done the rest of the week. Chattanooga would be best terminal in south heavy outbound freight not enough drivers to move it out of their but you don't get home a lot.
How about Libby, Montana? No? Ok, try Sand Point ID. No? Don't pass up Moscow, ID. No traffic issues for any of these locations. Now all they gotta do is build a freight terminal. von.

How about Libby, Montana? No? Ok, try Sand Point ID. No? Don't pass up Moscow, ID. No traffic issues for any of these locations. Now all they gotta do is build a freight terminal. von.
Montana is a special place. It hasn't been competely ruined by political correctness yet, but the thousands fleeing California a few years ago that came to Montana because of a more sane lifestyle and cheaper housing hasn;t helped. Now those Calif, refugees are trying to change Montana into another Calif like the one they left years ago. Liberals never change, they just move somewhere else to push their adgenda on others.
As for Moscow, Idaho, I've been there and don't want to go back. Nice surrounding area, but the town sucks.
Sand Point is OK if you like neo-(⊙▃⊙)s and skinheads - beautiful area.

Montana is a special place. It hasn't been competely ruined by political correctness yet, but the thousands fleeing California a few years ago that came to Montana because of a more sane lifestyle and cheaper housing hasn;t helped. Now those Calif, refugees are trying to change Montana into another Calif like the one they left years ago. Liberals never change, they just move somewhere else to push their adgenda on others.
As for Moscow, Idaho, I've been there and don't want to go back. Nice surrounding area, but the town sucks.
Sand Point is OK if you like neo-(⊙▃⊙)s and skinheads - beautiful area.
It is either Moscow or Lewiston ID that has the famous hill on US 95 that use to kill a lot of drivers. Back in the late 70's there was no runaway truck lane on a 2 lane highway. Now they have rebuilt the road with a ramp & 4 lane divided. Back then all kinds of signs that said stop & check your brakes. They were not joking. A hill that could kill you in a heart beat.