Mike Huckabee robo calls forces film maker to go out of business

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 20_yrs_2_go, Sep 10, 2017.

1. 20_yrs_2_go

20_yrs_2_go Well-Known Member

Five years ago, a film called Last Ounce of Courage was released. Imagine Armageddon but with the asteroid replaced by the ACLU, and you have the plot. It was up to Christians to save Christmas from those damn liberals!

It was universally panned, with a Rotten Tomatoes score of 0%. And the filmmakers must have known this early on since they began robocalling millions of people urging them to go see the movie. Those robocalls were narrated by Gov. Mike Huckabee.

Do you believe in American freedom and liberty? … Would you, like me, Mike Huckabee, like to see Hollywood respect and promote traditional American values?” Huckabee said in the calls, according to court documents. “I am an enthusiastic supporter of a new movie called ‘Last Ounce of Courage.’ It is a film about faith, freedom, and taking a stand for American values.”

3.2 million calls like that were made, and they all ran afoul of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, which prohibits commercials calls without the consent of the person you’re calling. A class action lawsuit was eventually filed against the man whose companies made those robo-calls, Gabriel Joseph III.

Since the maximum fine is $500 per call, we’re talking $1.6 billion at stake here.
    On Thursday, a U.S. District Judge ruled that Joseph would have to pay a reduced fine of $32.4 million.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch notes that Joseph may not be able to pay the fine. His lawyer said that his companies “are going out of business.”

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...ocalls-will-cost-film-marketers-32-4-million/

2. kboomarang

kboomarang My allah, between pie and mode

Pretty stupid of Gabriel Joseph the third to run a "robo-call" operation and not know the rules and regulations, I wonder if the two Gabriel Josephs that came before him were that dumb too.

3. 20_yrs_2_go

20_yrs_2_go Well-Known Member

With a zero movie rating both Mike and Joseph must be brain dead to think it would be a box office hit

4. Bart

Bart Well-Known Member

Wanna buy a "fidget spinner" ?

5. Bubba74

Bubba74 Well-Known Member

Why is this Mike Huckabees fault?

6. kboomarang

kboomarang My allah, between pie and mode

It's quite simple, he's not a leftist.

buffalobill and Northern Flash like this.