Milwaukee Terminal

Discussion in 'Dayton' started by miltowntrucker, Nov 14, 2017.

1. miltowntrucker

miltowntrucker Member

Just curious if anyone knows how many miles Linehaulers are getting out of the Milwaukee terminal? Also if any of the runs will change when the new terminal is open?

2. cracker

cracker Member

They must stay pretty busy at Dayton you hardly see anyone on here. I was wondering also if they are hiring for Linehaul anywhere. It says they are on their website but ya never know. Guess I could call lol

3. miltowntrucker

miltowntrucker Member

I actually did get hired on with Dayton. I started 2 weeks ago, everything has been great so far and getting pretty good miles. Excellent equipment, no doubles, most of the people really seem to enjoy working at Dayton. We are busy so I would recommend just to apply online at the terminal you are interested in and if you don't get a call back within a couple days give the Terminal manager a call.

coondogg likes this.
  4. cracker

cracker Member

Congrats. Do you get home everyday? Do they have pretty good runs there and any dock work involved? Assigned equipment? I’m thinking about the Rockford terminal.

5. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

There are very few "system" drivers out all week in hotels. Most of us are home daily. Assigned trucks, although some new drivers bounce around until they get one. No dock work for the vast majority of us unless we want it. Some nights I may have to kick a few skids off at a dark terminal, though.

Different terminals have more or less miles than others. Most of us average 500 per night at mine, but some terminals are much better than that. Of course it can be rough for the bottom guys sometimes, but we are growing and that doesn't last. It's a good place to be.

cracker likes this.
  6. cracker

cracker Member

What Kind of orientation did you have to go through when you was hired?

7. bubs

bubs Active Member

You will do a couple of days on the dock and then a week or two weeks with a line-haul trainer. It's one of the better LTL jobs that I've had and there are plenty of Miles. My only complaint is United Healthcare for the insurance is kind of crappy. Can't win them all I guess

cracker likes this.
  8. cracker

cracker Member

Ok thanks for the info. That’s good that you don’t have to go to home office for it. Do you have any automatic tractors? I’m not looking to change jobs till early spring though, wonder if I should go ahead and get the process started it probably takes a few months anyways huh? You get paid weekly right? Very nice of you guys to take the time to answer my questions. Kudos to you

9. bubs

bubs Active Member

Yeah, it'll take at least a month. I think this year my region had like a 17% jump in volume so I imagine the whole area around Illinois it's probably going to be steadily hiring. If I remember right, I think in the fall Milwaukee supposed to get a new terminal somewhere by Racine so they will definitely be hiring by then. Spring would be good to get ahead of some people seniority wise. Of 50 or so road tractors, none are stick. I think two in the city are manual. Pay is weekly. Dayton is actually the first LTL that doesn't constantly screw my hours up. I think I've only had two changes in a year and a half. that bodes well for how they run the company. It's definitely much more organized and way less combative than UPS Freight. I just wish they would change the insurance. I despise United Healthcare

cracker likes this.