Minimum wage debate

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Toby, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

This is a subject that is ongoing and heated in many quarters for a number of reasons, so lets have a thread dedicated to it.

Should a non skilled worker make the same or equivalent to a skilled worker?

If the minimum wage was increased what do you thing the price of goods and or services will result in? And does it just negate the increase ?

Entry level jobs are just that entry into the workforce, or a job that is a transitional job in many cases. Should these positions have a pay scale equivalent to a more technical position or a position of more responsibility?

Should the government determine and dictate wage scales be it minimum or maximum?

If an increase nationally was increased to what is currently proposed of $15 an hour, how does that impact those that are currently at that scale or slightly above that like the average $21.50 that skilled truck drivers make.

Those are but a few of the inner topics of this debate

2. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

To be "fair" and with the auspice of providing "a living wage" should an apprentice make the same as a journeyman?

3. Northern Flash

Northern Flash Piss on our Flag, get a boycott against you.

I believe in supply and demand. If people don't like the wages at Micky D's, don't work there. When they become more desperate for employees, they'll have to jack up the wages to draw people in.

The Govt. has a minimum wage that is for minimum skill level. They need to leave it where it is. Otherwise the cost to the consumer will sky rocket. Then the entire country gets affected by the minimum wage being raised. Those jobs are not meant for a career.

This entire debate is being fueled by big labor. The un-skilled workers hardly say a word. Half of those employees can't even read and write. And they dang sure can't get an order correct. lol

4. kantgetryte

kantgetryte Well-Known Member

5. Magoo

Magoo You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out

Answer;
    The journeymen should be paid much more then they are.
    Journeymen should take that issue up
    But thats no reason to step on the entry level worker with unlivable wages.
    Seems to me you are gauging your wage as being X amount over the newbie so you feel OK.
    Are you OK with your wages? Isn't that the real issue here.

6. Northern Flash

Northern Flash Piss on our Flag, get a boycott against you.

How about paying people what they're worth to the company? A journeyman is worth way more than the apprentice is because they know way more. Just like a fast food worker........you can find anyone who is walking down the sidewalk that can do that job. Why should they make big bucks? You move up the food chain, you have more value, you make more money. It's that simple.

7. CCXdriver

CCXdriver Well-Known Member

I don't think these are actual topics of the debate.

Who is claiming skilled and non skilled should make the same money? Who claims entry level jobs should have pay scales that are equivalent to technical positions?

And who is proposing a national increase to $15, besides one millionaire with no say in the matter?

8. Magoo

Magoo You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out

What ones work is worth is a matter of opinion
    If you apply for a job and say just pay me what you think I'm worth I think you will be disappointed come pay day

9. a9faninnc

a9faninnc Super Moderator Staff Member

I think everyone has an idea of their value to a company,if they are honest with themselves.Alot of it depends on field of work,work history,experience,and education.

10. Roadrunner73

Roadrunner73 Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the fast food workers in some areas were demanding they be paid $15/hour not too long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. a9faninnc

a9faninnc Super Moderator Staff Member

Probably at the coercion of big labor.They know their position isnt worth that..

12. Roadrunner73

Roadrunner73 Well-Known Member

I believe some think they are worth every penny if $15/hour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. CCXdriver

What does that have to do with it? We're talking about a National Minimum Wage, not a group of workers collecting together to bargain for higher wages.

14. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. CCXdriver

I wouldn't go as far as you. Raising it to $22.62 is too much.

Oh, were you trying to infer Al Sharpton is making that suggestion? If so, please work on your reading comprehension skills.

If not, and you understand what he was saying, I apologize for my comment.

16. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Then tell me, what is that racist POS trying to say?

Looks to me he's trying to say that minimum wage should have raised at the same rate as the 1% and minimum wage should be $22.62.

17. CCXdriver

That's not what he said. Read it again, word for word.

18. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I must be an idiot. So edumacate me.

19. CCXdriver

There is an effort to raise the minimum wage to $10.10. Many Democrats support this.

The top 1% had a large growth in their income since the last minimum wage increase.

What Democrats want is actually a modest increase, when put in that perspective.

The Reverend is hoping people will agree, and give their support to Democrats trying to raise the minimum wage.

20. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That Racist is evil, but he's no idiot. He knows by wording this the way he did, his drones would start calling for a $22 minimum wage. And they are, just read some of the comments from that thread.