Minimum wage debate

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Toby, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Woody

Woody Sons of Trump

All your programs fail...every time...thousands of years...

2. RacerX69

RacerX69 Retired Gear Jammer/IBEW Retired/Wingnut

Really?

Up until I retired I was a journeyman utility mechanic. The guys in my unit (myself included) got together and put a plan together to get our scale adjusted. When we were done we were getting better pay than our peers in the region, and our top scale was only a few bucks under what the journeyman lineman (they get the most, because it is their union) scale was.

I was earning $33 an hour, and was relief foreman. When I sat in the foreman's chair I added another $3 to my hourly rate.

When we worked overtime it was double time, from the first hour to the last, with an automatic 2 hours anytime they called on us to work OT, even if the job got done in 30 minutes.

Overtime on a holiday was always triple time.

When the wind blew and the power was out we worked all hands, 24/7, 36 hours on, 10 hours off, back to back until the power was back on. All OT. We also got meal money for every meal period that we worked through.

The last year I worked before retiring I earned over $32,000 in overtime alone.

None of us ever complained that we didn't earn enough.

But management was always trying to cut wages, and not give the COLA at every contract negotiation.

3. Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly Drat, Double Drat, and Triple Drat!

A: What have you started? B: That's unconstitutional.

4. Woody

Woody Sons of Trump

Did you hear something. .. it must be my azz farting

5. Northern Flash

Northern Flash Piss on our Flag, get a boycott against you.

I'd like to see everyone making more money than they do at these minimum wage jobs, but that's not realistic. And every corporation operates with the goal of a certain profit margin. If wages go up, the profit margin goes down, so corporate adjusts prices accordingly to get the margin back to the goal. And who pays for that pay increase? The public. So at what point do we stop with the minimum wage pay increases? And at what point is the cost of a extra value meal no longer worth buy it? And when we stop buying the burgers because they're to expensive, the place shuts down, then there are less jobs available.
    This minimum wage issue has already been proven that it affects a tiny percentage of America. These are jobs for kids and supplemental income for the elderly. Stepping stone, part time jobs. Use these jobs to stay afloat while going to high school or college, then reach higher for goals that will actually help you prosper. Set bigger goals for yourself.

The tiny minimum wage hikes won't help these folks anyway. Don't make a career out of these types of jobs, that's not what they were meant for.

If I were that politician, I would have asked the kid how long he planned on staying a burger flipper, and why didn't he have better goals set for himself.

6. Magoo

Magoo You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out

Did I miss something?
    I don't remember saying people didn't deserve to make a good living.
    Are you saying the person earning $8 a hour isn't worth the bother?
    You said that 'None of us ever complained that we didn't earn enough."
    before that you said you guys organised "The guys in my unit (myself included) got together and put a plan together to get our scale adjusted."
    I'm thinking someone was complaining at the time that things weren't up to their liking

7. Magoo

Pay a nickle more so the business owners don't have their profits cut into will ya?

If you have to have low unresonbly low wages workers to carry out your business plan
    then maybe
    just maybe
    You don't have a good business plan
    or are putting too much for that business plan into your pocket then the business rightfully earns.

Picking cotton by hand depended on a large free labor source, when that dried up the plantation failed.
    Let the owner dirty his hands and work up a sweat too

8. Northern Flash

And as soon as they get the nickle......they want another nickle. Why not just cut the time down and bump them up to $20.00 per hour right away? You know, then the owners made that investment just to employ people out of kindness.....not to actually make a profit.

If there isn't a profit, the investors disappear. Then we'd only have one Micky D's instead of the millions that are available to us.

No profit......no reason to have a business or invest into businesses, which means no jobs, higher unemployment, and higher poverty.

9. a9faninnc

a9faninnc Super Moderator Staff Member

LMAO,you bust me up talking about people working for low wages or anything concerning the public workforce,lol..

Its like having a cook at McDonalds telling someone how to do brain surgery..

10. Bubba74

Bubba74 Well-Known Member

average profit in a grocery store is 2%
    raise wages 50% and see what happens to the proce of food.
    once again you are talking about around 2,500,000 people less than 1% of the entire USpopulation so like with BarryCare we need to upend the economy for a small segment of society

11. CCXdriver

CCXdriver Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe anyone is working at Arby's for 10 years, without a raise. Those places usually have raises built in after 60 days, 1 year, etc.

And if so, he should look for another job, they're out there. My neighbor just opened up a new supermarket, creating more than 100 jobs. Many start at the minimum, but have regular union raises built in. Just have to get out and look, I see help wanted signs every day.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  12. Northern Flash

Everything that Barry says is to stir up emotions. The entire Liberal agenda is to stir up people's emotions and get them to vote accordingly and support his "feel good" agenda........which never seems to help anyone at all.

13. Magoo

"THEY" the poor folks "THOSE" people they need to make a living too

14. Northern Flash

Then they need to aspire to do bigger and better things than flip burgers. Get some training and an education is a good start.

15. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Oh boy! What a big baby this Shaneeka Rainer is. Ten years in the fast food industry making minimum wage the whole time? Hey Shaneeka, the problem isn't minimum wage, or your employer, the problem is you dummy! Either you're lazy or brain dead stupid. In ten years you couldn't climb the ladder into some sort of management job in these fast food joints? In ten years you couldn't find a better job?

I love this part from this article.

......"Towards the end of our conversation, Rainer’s exasperation became apparent. “I bust my butt for these people everyday,” he said in disbelief that lawmakers like Ross don’t think he deserves a raise. “Come down to Arby’s for 24 hours. Take the broom, wipe down the bathroom. See what it’s like.”......

Oh please! Sweeping and cleaning a bathroom ain't that hard! And no one works 24 hours a day at Arby's.

But*Rep. Dennis Ross is incorrect on one thing, a living wage is indeed a right. Everyone has a right to living wage, but just because it's a right, doesn't mean the government has to give it to you. The government just can't restrict you from that right is all. I have a right to a gun, but the government doesn't provide me a gun. I to have to buy one myself.
    We have the right to go GET that living wage.

Now on to you Truckdriver79, you're next on my hitlist buddy.

I don't recall anyone saying prices would skyrocket. I do recall many saying prices would go up, along with a mixture of layoffs. The CBO gave a WELL DUH report saying if minimum wage were raised to $10.10 500k to 900k jobs would be lost.
    Now Wal-Mart is always used as an example that business is just being greedy and can afford to pay more. Problem is not every business is Wal-Mart! Most are small business's, and not all small business's can afford a minimum wage increase. The left is always talking how they support the little man over the BIG EVIL GREEDY MULTINATIONAL CORPORATIONS! But yet the continually support policies like raising the minimum wage that harm small business's more than big corporations. Go figure!?

Wal-Mart is greedy with obscene profits? Well Wal-Mart consistently shows a 3-4% profit margin. Meaning for every $1 of revenue they generate, they profit only $0.03 to $0.04. Profiting 4 cents of every dollar is greedy? That's obscene?

Now ok let's agree Wal-Mart is greedy for the sake of argument, o.k.?
    Why do you think a greedy corporation would just take less profits if forced to pay more? Wouldn't a greedy corporation pass the increased cost on to the consumer and their employees? They would! They would pass as much of the cost onto the consumer as they possibly can, and when the market can't bare anymore of the cost, Wal-Mart will either offer less benefits, cut jobs and ask more from the remaining employees or hire more, but give less hours to their employees. They'll do something, but one thing they won't do, is nothing and allow profits to decrease.

16. Bubba74

Then they need to vote out these progressives and get some people that want to grow the economy in office
    $10.10 is not inspirational to anyone yet that is the Dems job plan $10.10 an hour vs a growing boom economy

17. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Well-Known Member

Sounds like a "compassionate conservative" post..lol

18. Magoo

3-4% profit is great thats what Grocers do.
    Profit for them is whats left over from each dollar of sales after they pay all the costs of business like products ,labor cost, utility's building expense.loans etc.

19. a9faninnc

a9faninnc Super Moderator Staff Member

You would probably love to see Gubment dictate profit margins for corporations.I mean,something like supply and demand would never work.Just because Gubment dictates and supplies your life,dont mean everyone else feels the same way.

20. Bubba74

One of the least regulated industries is electronics profit margins of 15-20%
    Attack them
    I don't need another tv, I do need to eat

Sheeneeka sounds like an idiot and a liar. Maybe instead of screwing around in high school if he even went or graduated, he should have paid attention and made himself more valuable to an employer.