ABF | More food for the Rumor Mill:The Year of UPS

HillBilly Frog

TB Veteran
Credits
2007 - The Year of UPS
12/11/2006
Satish Jindel
Next year will be a special year for UPS as Big Brown turns 100 on Aug. 28. However, it is the other events that could occur in 2007 that will make it an important year for the company and the transportation industry and thus provide a strong incentive for the UPS management and Teamsters leadership to cooperate in an unprecedented manner in the interest of the customers, investors, employees and management.

ABF might gain the most from Teamsters consent for its workers to transition to a new UPS LTL contract. This could help ABF get acquired and provide UPS Freight a separate long haul (ABF) and regional (Overnite) network like its two major LTL rivals. With its 92 operating ratio, ABF has achieved better margins than most unionized LTL carriers. With ABF, UPS's LTL business unit would have combined annual revenue of $3.5 billion, enhance its competitive position against the larger YRC and FedEx Freight in a $32 billion market and create three giants with significant leverage to make changes in the LTL industry.

Traffic World OnLine - Columns

I don't. Just seen a lot of brown diapers in my time and they sure did stink!
smiley-faces15.gif

Went in to pick up my check today - no check (that's right, you have to work first - it's still Jan.!), and passed a Watkins Truck with a FedEx logo. I've seen Blue trucks with Brown uniforms...pretty soon it won't be, "Where did I park?", it will be, "Who am I working for now?" But Green & Brown...who does the coordinating around here???

Went in to pick up my check today - no check (that's right, you have to work first - it's still Jan.!), and passed a Watkins Truck with a FedEx logo. I've seen Blue trucks with Brown uniforms...pretty soon it won't be, "Where did I park?", it will be, "Who am I working for now?" But Green & Brown...who does the coordinating around here???
You would think that they might be able to pick colors that don't clash:duh:

The color is not as important as the check not bouncing!

Henry Ford might have been right:

"You can have any color you want, as long as it is black."

Rest asured when the UPS appearance policy came out with us old Overniter's,and Motor Cargo workers.
There was a lot of whinning that became a revolt to shave off facial hair that everyone was used to up to this point in time.
So if your beard isn't so long that you look like the zzy tops singer.
You don't have to worry.
We old Overnite's,and MC's were able to be grandfathered into UPS Freight,as long as we weren't just hired on at the time of the rebranding.
Any new hires have to comply with all the UPS appearance rules.

When these rules were being read to us by our TM's not long before the rebranding we were all in a state of shock to say the least.
But it all worked out.
So far so good.

I read your post waysho,and wanted to share this with you,so you won't have to worry about making your first trip to your local barber shop.

Apo, I'm not really worried about the facial hair thing. I get bored with it an shave it off every once and a while then I get tired of shaving so I grow it back. It's really a none issue as long as I get my paycheck every week and it doesn't bounce!!! But this aging face really is quite ugly without facial hair-it scares my wife and many small children :-)

Apo, I'm not really worried about the facial hair thing. I get bored with it an shave it off every once and a while then I get tired of shaving so I grow it back. It's really a none issue as long as I get my paycheck every week and it doesn't bounce!!! But this aging face really is quite ugly without facial hair-it scares my wife and many small children :-)

I do not think you will have to worry about a check bouncing if infact you are bought out by UPS"S Deep pockets...

But with a 92% Operating Ratio I would'nt think you would worry about a check bouncing anyway....

Well TOXIC has just posted on the UPS Freight forum,on the thread....If UPS does buy ABF would we end tail,or dove tail?

His post is #22.
Well he found that ABF has already had many offers to buy them,by UPS,and others.
All these offers have been turned down.
So as far as I see this is just one more trucking rumor that has bit the dust.