SAIA | More layoffs coming 11-20

Listen guys I don't like being negative either but all you gotta do is open your eyes 400+ people were let go two weeks ago and it has not made that much difference. Still multiple people getting cut every night sometimes twice or three times a week !!!the stock price is at $23 and hasn't budged for almost 3 weeks. the investors are not happy !!! if you paid attention when we got the raise that's when the stock started coming down these share holders are here for one thing and that's to make money and yes management and the shareholders do read this they said so in the first few lines of the transcript from the conference call here is the proof.

I don't know if you are on trucking boards and whatnot, but -- or you have someone that covers that type stuff, but we did a --

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have looked at it, but not in the last week or so. (laughter)

---------------------------------------------------------
And it's not only saia we are just the first ones taking action I know of teams at od that haven't been out in almost two weeks a friend at a mid sized southeastern terminal that said they are cutting as many as 8-10 runs per night it's this way all over even at Conway with all the xpo hype those guys aren't getting to work either. The scary part is there a has been no influx of Christmas freight and all the Black Friday freight is already been shipped now that's scary !!!! I'm not trying to be negative or frighten people I'm just being real and sometimes being real hurts. truth is more than likely there will be another layoff maybe hopefully I pray there won't but either way people you need to have a plan in place and get you some prospects in line in case it happens to you . And if we do take a pay cut so be it if that's what it takes to get the company back on solid ground and keep my job I'm all for it as we have seen sooner or later we will get it back . Remember how surprised everyone was when the jumped from .56 to .60 I knew then that it was risky for them to make an increase that big at one time . And actually kept it in the back of my mind that if times got hard they would either cut it or the 10 year free insurance out . Just one more littl thing I know people on here are skeptical about the upper management of this company they got us through 2008 without closing the doers whe a lot of others did close their doors . another thing in the conference call that shows they do care about the employees is the part where rick o stood up for us when the investors were grilling him about the raise . Just hold on to your ankles guys because it's not getting any better until this election is over .
Well, SJ if it happens I will just go draw my unemployment and start over in the spring. I knew the stock had dropped but the operation ratio didn't take a massive hit so I just ignored the rumors. The company has been good to me so I have no complaints. With my CDL intact I'm in pretty good shape to find another job. I'm debt free and my IRA is substantial. I will move forward like I always do. And thank SAIA for the opportunity.

Well, SJ if it happens I will just go draw my unemployment and start over in the spring. I knew the stock had dropped but the operation ratio didn't take a massive hit so I just ignored the rumors. The company has been good to me so I have no complaints. With my CDL intact I'm in pretty good shape to find another job. I'm debt free and my IRA is substantial. I will move forward like I always do. And thank SAIA for the opportunity.

are you old enough for social security. that's where old people go.

are you old enough for social security. that's where old people go.
Don't make me apply at R+L for a dispatch position old timer. If I get cut your good friend Paul S. will take me on at OD to finish out my career. And you know that. Smart ass.

Last edited:
The last time we got a big raise it only lasted about six months, then they cut pay, stopped contributing to the 401k, and had big layoffs. Think it was a 5% cut.
I'll just have to take a longer run I guess.

Saia gave a raise, had sign on bonuses, and offer GOOD benefits. Would it have been in their best interest to have freight sit? Need butts in seats to grow. Business has slowed. Appears they cut bad apples. I think everyone invested would prefer to need to pay the bonuses. What would YOU do if it was your "baby"?

As far as I can see, the sleep apnea thing is here to stay. However, CSA reform is on the table, and my sources think it will go through. Time will tell. All I know is that I'm not looking over my shoulder, wondering if I'm next. Life is good.

There is no denying that freight has slowed. Why, who really knows. In response, the company has made layoffs, drivers are being cut on a nightly basis, and hourly workers are not working as many hours as before, it is what it is and there is nothing we can do about it. The question is, what is my personal plan to weather this slowdown. All I can do is report on time, or if I am cut, and I have been like everyone else, enjoy the extra family time, do what I am suppose to do, and if I scheduled for something different, run it. For those who have been laid off, I am sorry and wish you the best. For the rest of us, hunker down the company will survive. O'Dell and company have been down this road before. Like Oddball said in Kelly's Heroes, " have a little faith, baby".

Stop talking a layoff up and pay cut. Remember some of the management read this, so why give them ideas of such. They start thinking, the men don't want to work so give them wish.[/Q
There is no denying that freight has slowed. Why, who really knows. In response, the company has made layoffs, drivers are being cut on a nightly basis, and hourly workers are not working as many hours as before, it is what it is and there is nothing we can do about it. The question is, what is my personal plan to weather this slowdown. All I can do is report on time, or if I am cut, and I have been like everyone else, enjoy the extra family time, do what I am suppose to do, and if I scheduled for something different, run it. For those who have been laid off, I am sorry and wish you the best. For the rest of us, hunker down the company will survive. O'Dell and company have been down this road before. Like Oddball said in Kelly's Heroes, " have a little faith, baby".
Amen on have in the lord. If I allows one door to close , we must trust and have faith he has another door of options to open. I speak from first hand experience.

My point is...I lived 40 miles from my terminal. If a cut was more likely than not, as you guys are indicating, I would save myself the time and gas and make some phone calls before heading to the terminal. My experience was that no one would give me the courtesy, so I would take it upon myself to find out.

My point is...I lived 40 miles from my terminal. If a cut was more likely than not, as you guys are indicating, I would save myself the time and gas and make some phone calls before heading to the terminal. My experience was that no one would give me the courtesy, so I would take it upon myself to find out.
Buck I realize you are responding to SJ's post but why don't you quote him by clicking the reply within his post so everyone knows who you are replying to instead of going all the way down the thread and hitting reply.

if you report to work and cut you are paid 2 hrs, it was my turn the other night and I had already hooked up when they decided to cut they cut a later man in my place and cut me the next night. so no big deal in calling in first.

Since freight is slow I guess it shouldn't be hard to put in and get granted vacation time. When weather get bad next month and loads and pickups start backing up in the systems due 2 roads 2 bad 2 run the ones still here gone get ran like crazy or they wish they had a few drivers back.

Did anybody else notice that they removed the wages from the SAIA billboard near the CGO barn? The billboard used to say the exact hourly wage and the CPM, now they changed it to "up to 80000/year"... I'm not speculating that there's going to be a paycut, but this action does fit the narrative.

They took down the sign at the end of the driveway at ATL about two weeks ago and did anyone notice they took down the ( saia hires ) Facebook page about a month and a half ago

IMO... It would be in extreme poor taste and tact to have any signage/Facebook advertising wages and/or hiring, when they have layed off, and may not be done.

There will not be a pay cut...rick said in the quartley confrence call with the investors that would not be the case and he also said next yrs wage increase would probaly be 3 %....everybody take a chill pill