SAIA | More layoffs coming 11-20

All due respect to Rick, but he isn't going to throw gas on the fire and make a bad situation worse by telling investors that a pay cut is coming. That would (likely) trigger a massive sell off, devaluing the stock even more. His job is to report the numbers, and tell paint a rosy picture about how "the worst is over" and "we will do this, that, and the other" to give investors hope. That's all.

For what it's worth here at the billing office we are working more overtime than usual and just started hiring. I'm no expert at how this works but it seems lower shipping volumes does not mean fewer freight bills. We're working 45 hour weeks right now, usually it's around 42.

-George

I'm a end up with 1600 miles for the weekend and I'll take that but I'll admit I was surprised I made it to Denver, normally I don't get that far lol. Got out of there before snow hit

Was told by VP no more layoffs.. Many drivers concerned. He seemed sincere. But sales really needs to step up their game. I think they will.

Drivers also need to make sure they are doing the rite thing and play by the book. Freight volumes are down and the company isn't going to put up with B.S. from premadonnas that have a holier-than-thou attitude.

Hope everyone has a good turkey day. After tonight I'm on vacation until the 30th.

We've been keeping this team truck busy. We'll get 5 days off for Thanksgiving but not before running 14 out of the 16 days prior.

Holiday traffic is picking up out there so be extra careful! Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

Has anyone heard the good news we were supposed to be getting this week ? Because I haven't heard anything yet
Nothing new yet. I would like to encourage all city P&D drivers to help the sales staff with sales leads. And ask your customers for an extra shipment or two. Don't be bashful. It's sometimes the little things that make a big difference.

Last edited:
Ahhhh, the good old days, I bought a ton of stock at 19.00 a share. Helped fund my retirement, now it funds my fun!
Can we do it again please?

How’s the YRC stock working out for you?
Got out of it in time but am about ready to buy more of it soon. They are predictable. I honestly didn’t realize Saia was going to jump like it did though, I thought it would top out in the mid 50’s. I sold more then I should have but still have quite a bit. Got to keep an eye on it though. Did take a bath in GE stock. Having to keep it till it does something.

Got out of it in time but am about ready to buy more of it soon. They are predictable. I honestly didn’t realize Saia was going to jump like it did though, I thought it would top out in the mid 50’s. I sold more then I should have but still have quite a bit. Got to keep an eye on it though. Did take a bath in GE stock. Having to keep it till it does something.
Just be careful and don’t get burned like I did in 2008-09 .... I’m not sure of your age but if you’re near retirement a major downturn in stocks can be devastating if you haven’t shifted significant assets to bonds or fixed-income securities. Fortunately, I had some properties in my portfolio and really wasn’t hurt that bad. For young investors the best strategy.... IMO, is to hunker down and ride out these downturns. Analysts are predicting another downturn is due. I happen to agree. Invest wisely.

Ladies and gentlemen, Dr. Freud is on this forum and goes by the handle runaway train. Sleepless nights? I seriously doubt that, unless they think they are on the chopping block. I'm just calling it how I see it, calling a spade a spade, if you will.
I was a terminal manager at a now defunct company, in the 1980s. I had Many Sleepless Nights. I also stood up to the Owner, backing both drivers and dispatchers. Right up until one day, when the owner and I mutually agreed that I no longer worked there... drivers tried to stop me that morning. My wife had kissed me bye that morning and said "see Ya by 10am"....

You are very cynical. You have a contemptuous distrust of human nature and motives. You are a faultfinding captious critic. You believe that human conduct is motivated wholly by self-interest. You have a pessimistic view of human nature. Not all people sitting behind desk get joy in having to let people go. As a matter of fact many feel extremely bad and have many sleepless nights because of it. Yet you want to categorize them as being in survivor mode. You want view them all as being trite with the attitude "you win some, you lose some" ... Your dead wrong.
Please note this thread is from 2015 and although I’ve been retired since 2018 I still stand by this post. I’m very dialed in with my former co-workers and a few come and visit me often. They see no layoffs coming in Dallas or Garland. Don’t know why someone dug up this thread. If a layoff did happen I can assure you no member of management would enjoy that.