XPO | ..."more love"...

It usually is. Vans vs. Pups. The less you handle freight , the better your Operating Ratio - with vans you're going to handle freight less.

Sounds like you would be handling freight more with vans, that's the reason for pups. You would be breaking headloads all the time and it would take a lot more to get a pure load past the reship.

Sounds like you would be handling freight more with vans, that's the reason for pups. You would be breaking headloads all the time and it would take a lot more to get a pure load past the reship.
With LTL , the average shipment is 1,300 lbs.
And you would be right if real life didn't matter. The SafeStack© decking system is a great way to maximize trailer utilization but how many times will you leave 14,000lbs of 7 pallets on the floor? How many customers load a pup ready to ride ,with the headload decked and the heavy pallets on the bottom and the strapped and dunnage in place?

In order to maximize a pup takes motormoves. I'm guessing the same holds true for vans but headloads can be heavier because tractors run twin axels and customers can build a headload that rides easier than in a pup.

With LTL , the average shipment is 1,300 lbs.
And you would be right if real life didn't matter. The SafeStack© decking system is a great way to maximize trailer utilization but how many times will you leave 14,000lbs of 7 pallets on the floor? How many customers load a pup ready to ride ,with the headload decked and the heavy pallets on the bottom and the strapped and dunnage in place?

In order to maximize a pup takes motormoves. I'm guessing the same holds true for vans but headloads can be heavier because tractors run twin axels and customers can build a headload that rides easier than in a pup.

Most of our headloads and pures are multiple bill, and built by us either on outbound or at the reship. Yes, there are some customer headloads with spotted trailers, but not nearly as many. So, with pups, you are good for two. Say you had a lucky day and have a 20 foot, 10 bill headload and a 14 foot 8 bill headload in your lane. If you were running vans, you would only be good for one headload, and you would be swinging the other one. And what is right now a pure pup yard load, would end up only being a headload. I think you are referring to headloads coming in from the city operation. I am talking about the ones that we build, with dunnage, decks, and straps.

Most of our headloads and pures are multiple bill, and built by us either on outbound or at the reship. Yes, there are some customer headloads with spotted trailers, but not nearly as many. So, with pups, you are good for two. Say you had a lucky day and have a 20 foot, 10 bill headload and a 14 foot 8 bill headload in your lane. If you were running vans, you would only be good for one headload, and you would be swinging the other one. And what is right now a pure pup yard load, would end up only being a headload. I think you are referring to headloads coming in from the city operation. I am talking about the ones that we build, with dunnage, decks, and straps.
We also try to measure our freight.

To me a headload is one bill going to one customer. Its nothing to have a 10 or 12 skid 1 bill headload for a customer where I am. And we load terminal to terminal direct, almost exclusively. So I guess our idea of a headload is much different than yours.

Thats why we can turn a profit while others lose money year after year.
You didn't understand what ATM was saying. If they have two guys run/bid same area. One leave out earlier than the other probably with guarantees by 9&12am. So he can get those off and other del, make early pickups get freight back earlier and do swap out if he chooses too depending on conference he is in. #2 man gets rest of del on his run (late road drivers) and make late pickups or whatever 1st couldn't get. Having one man cover large area with all del/pickups and maybe miss pickups and some early del cutoff makes no sense keeps customers happy and OR low.

This happens with some areas at my barn. When I was in the city, my start time was 10:30. My run was also the second longest mileage wise.. it went to me because of the time the freight was back. Late. I had a great working relationship with my customers and all yrc's reasoning. The only time I didn't get that run was if it was done early and a senior driver needed something to do. Guys that liked their run worked hard to keep it, ie not screwing off. The dispatcher always knows!
Sounds like YRC comment was a jab if so good one. Seniority is all we have against company. We try to exercise to the fullest. Keeps drivers from going under TM/dispatch for better run. Remember YRC bought Holland for their weird operating procedures but still turn great profits and OR. They don't meddle too much in how we operate just screw up the profits we turn.

Well sure it can, OD city bids either a specific route or volume shots...
That might work for OD, but at my SC, our start times are based on freight arrival times throughout morning with less consideration given to where it's being delivered. I think the original suggestion as made by "veteran peddleman" would restrict dispatch's ability to get out freight within a workable time frame so as to be able to satisfy pick up commitments later in the day.

That might work for OD, but at my SC, our start times are based on freight arrival times throughout morning with less consideration given to where it's being delivered. I think the original suggestion as made by "veteran peddleman" would restrict dispatch's ability to get out freight within a workable time frame so as to be able to satisfy pick up commitments later in the day.

We operate a trucking business just like you guys do. Seems to work here.