FedEx Freight | more stupidity from on high

starvinpurple

TB Lurker
Credits
at our last driver meeting we were told that the a.m. dock will no longer be allowed to bay more than twelve percent of shipments. so p&d routes will henceforth be loaded in whatever order they happen to come in. this means that my first stop may be on the tail, but after that, freight for any given consignee could literally be anywhere in the load. tuesday i pulled a stuffed-full 48-footer on an outlying route, and it was in no order whatsoever.
anyone wearing a red shirt in this company would read this and tell me to stop whining. but think about it: not only am i being set up to fail in reaching my stops-per-hour goal, i'm also now expected to ask customers to move 6-8 pallets of someone else's freight to reach theirs. i'm already on a high-pressure route where we are implicitly expected to skip breaks and work through our state-mandated lunch period. and now this?! way to screw the driver AND the customer. this company has its priorities completely backwards.

run your route just like it is loaded.spent two or three times longer out on your route everyday.just make sure you document everything.we did that years ago and they finally realized how much wasted time and money and they finally changed it back.just remember to document everything.(like your manifest and who you told that it was loaded wrong.)when the tm s numbers start looking bad then that is when things get changed.

We (our location) has been doing that for some time now.

For the most part, its ok. My route is the tightest packed. Ill do an average of 6 stops an hour, but I cover such a small area, that it really does not matter what order its in. The red shirts do make an effort to keep you from bumping the same dock twice.

On the pedal routes, get a stop off, drive an hour, get a stop off,ect. They are loaded correctly, They cant afford to have you backtracking out in the boonies for an hour or more. Now, if you have to pallet jack one skid to keep it in order, just man up.

We just added about 60 doors in the last year, and it has helped up be able to bay up a few more shipments.

Still, raise hell. They are not going to fire you for wanting to be productve. Show them your manifest, and say " I just want clarification, you do understand that this is going to kill my stops per hour, yes?"

If they want the trailer reworked, all good. If not, the ball was still put in thier court, and they were forced to make a call. In that case, run it like its loaded.

As far as skipping breaks, I dont blame anyone but the driver for that. If it happes, its because you let it happen. If im not getting paid, im not working. Simple as that.
Do not do it even once. If they ask you to do it, say "Ill need a letter stating that you are forcing me to work through my manditory 6hr break, ill need it signed by you, and the terminal MGR"

I promise, they will never ask you again.

I'm a ROAD DRIVER in MIDWEST.. I have been where your at and presently my barn is allowing us to work dork because of drivers sitting home .. Complaint sound really funny to a guy that hasn't worked in three weeks.. My advice is JUST BE HAPPY you have a situation to be stressed out about.. It could be worse!!!!! This probably isn't gonna make u feel better but it makes me feel good informing you THINGS CAN ALWAYS BE WORSE!!!! Keep your head up!!!

Run it like it's loaded, take plenty of return freight forms with you. and by all means take your lunch break.

FINALLY!!!!!!!........................ REALLY!! Piecing together a master piece waisting 2 to 3 hours on the dock to load a city pedal was STUPID!!!!. How many pallets go on a van 24. Then you blow 24 skids in a trailer farthest point in the nose with nearest on the tail.Thats why High seniority city guys who know all the routes should work in bound and load trailers as freight hits the dock. Then when the last city guy has hit his pedal the senior man cleans up whats left or goes out with and empty van inthe mid to late morning to start making pickups....

Why the senior drivers? As a rule of thumb they are usually the ones stroking the clock the most. I am sure they really care about the junior driver. From experience most senior drivers have a serious sense of entitlement. That goes for the road or city. For the most part I hear oh well sucks to be a bottom guy I need overtime or I need dock work after I run a 400 mile run and the guys on the bottom just sit home. I am done but I think the senior driver might know the route but couldn't careless about anyone below them.

FINALLY!!!!!!!........................ REALLY!! Piecing together a master piece waisting 2 to 3 hours on the dock to load a city pedal was STUPID!!!!. How many pallets go on a van 24. Then you blow 24 skids in a trailer farthest point in the nose with nearest on the tail.Thats why High seniority city guys who know all the routes should work in bound and load trailers as freight hits the dock. Then when the last city guy has hit his pedal the senior man cleans up whats left or goes out with and empty van inthe mid to late morning to start making pickups....

We did this for about three days at my barn. Dock production went up about one bill an hour, city stops went way down and overtime went through the roof. The next Monday we went back to the normal process.

From experience most senior drivers have a serious sense of entitlement..
Senior drivers have earned the right to have first bid on things like start times, routes, tractors, vacations.........They have been here longer. While many of the younger drivers were still in school worrying about who to take to the prom, the senior drivers were out there working long hours. Day and night. Dock, road, city........They have earned the right to bid first on whatever fits their schedules, wants or needs. There is another word for it other than being an entitlement. It's also known as SENIORITY.

A driver lower on the board. Wants the same benefits as the senior driver but doesn't want to wait and put in the work and time to earn that position. That is "sense of entitlement".

Maybe Andrew can go on-line and search want ads. Maybe he can find a job that gives better benefits to new drivers than they give to senior drivers.

Why the senior drivers? As a rule of thumb they are usually the ones stroking the clock the most. I am sure they really care about the junior driver. From experience most senior drivers have a serious sense of entitlement. That goes for the road or city. For the most part I hear oh well sucks to be a bottom guy I need overtime or I need dock work after I run a 400 mile run and the guys on the bottom just sit home. I am done but I think the senior driver might know the route but couldn't careless about anyone below them.

***News flash***,senior drivers don't decide who sits home,or who gets overtime. Sorry,now get to the back of the line where you belong.

Run it the way they load it and if they don't like it then still run it the way they loaded it.

This has been going on at our barn for around 2 years...first pups bump the dock around 430 in the morning and all run sheets at designated door. Look over sheet on where skid goes and run everything down one side until the first stop freight arrives then on with the rest as it comes in. Now it gets kinda tough sometimes trying to run down one side of trailer with a 5 foot wide skid but thats what our wise scm wants...no baying up anything except rear end freight like first or second stop. He thinks after we get the first few deliveries off we have all this room to maneuver around to get to next thing we need. Now some of you are probably like me trying to get a regular pallet jack into a 3 feet wide skid that weighs around 2000 lbs and pull your testicles up to your nose to move it to other side. Been there done that so for some time I'll just run it like its loaded if its too strenuous for antiques like me...I know where you're coming from. Meanwhile you are out on the street doing the best you can, fighting traffic, dealing with jerk customers, sliding aroung in snow,ice,and 40 mph winds, they are sending you pickups that have to be loaded by 300pm. And we have it easy? Gimme a break....now I have a headache so Hooty out and still love ya Brother Smokestack.:tribehasspoken:

There are many senior drivers that get out there and get the job done no matter what it takes and will help out a junior driver whenever they can. They take ownership of thier route and want "their" customers taken care of--so why not help another driver?
I will admit that there are drivers that do as little as possible to get thru the day and milk it for all it's worth----whether they are senior or not, if you are an azz-dragger you need an azz chewing and straighten up or hit the road.

DAMMMM glad I went to the road

Me to I don't really miss the city.

We a city driver that I know pretty well he always comes up to me and ask "what do you call a driver that cant do city work? A road driver". One day I got him good and asked him "what kind of driver is willing to do twice the work for half the pay? A city driver"

I have been here 14 years I remember where I started....At the bottom....I remember how it was being the new guy it sucked when I couldn't even get 40 hours during the slow times of the year while the entitled senior screw offs were milking the clock and getting overtime. I also remembering one of them beating his chest saying I earned the right to get overtime. I asked him if it was alright to get overtime when I wasn't even getting full time hours he said sucks to be you. That statement has always stuck in my mind and I never want to be like that. He is still here sucking the clock and sucking the bosses off telling them how good he is. He is also the one helping route our city routes and breaking it off in us with his great work ethic. Thats why I said what I said. Its disgusting that it happens. If you are one of them and you took offense to it. I say so be it!!

Senior drivers have earned the right to have first bid on things like start times, routes, tractors, vacations.........They have been here longer. While many of the younger drivers were still in school worrying about who to take to the prom, the senior drivers were out there working long hours. Day and night. Dock, road, city........They have earned the right to bid first on whatever fits their schedules, wants or needs. There is another word for it other than being an entitlement. It's also known as SENIORITY.

A driver lower on the board. Wants the same benefits as the senior driver but doesn't want to wait and put in the work and time to earn that position. That is "sense of entitlement".

Maybe Andrew can go on-line and search want ads. Maybe he can find a job that gives better benefits to new drivers than they give to senior drivers.