ODFL | Motor Oil

sparky

TB Regular
Credits
These Cat engines sure use a lot of Oil. Was two gallons low today only got a gallon out of the drum. Ran 250 miles to STL checked it and was two gallon low again. If I wait a week its 2 gallons low seems like a lot of oil to me. Would think that the Cat Engine throws the oil but can not find any sign of it. the old Cummins engines never used this much oil. Seems like if OD saves money on Cat engines they surely loose it by using all this motor oil.

I am going to try to explain this. I am not a mechanic. At Roadway there oil drips in the fuel system so it burns it off. They never change the oil. They just change the filter. It cycles it self. If your OD system is set up the same way have your driper checked. It is letting to much oil out into the fuel system. This might sound like a crazy explination but like I said I am not a mechanic. And Roadway's trucks are set up this way. The filter is mounted on the back of our trucks.

and along those line i have been driving a 97Mack for three months now and i have not had to put any oil in it.Most of the older trucks used oil and i am amazed this old of a truck does not leak or burn oil.

OK I have noticed that some of Ods trucks have a tube that hangs down off the engine and have always assumed that is a oil drip tube. There is usually not one on the Columbia freightliners so maybe that is it. Thanks Toxic Maybe I will mention it next PM

the new cats still have the tube there just not as long on some of the trucks and are hard to spot had a 05 columbia a few weaks ago it soaked they outside of the fuel tank with oil shop said some kind of valve screwed up but it was using same amount of oil as yours check with your shop it won't hurt to be safe

Does OD still dump the used oil into the fuel tanks in GBO, ATL, MRT, etc.? I used to bypass all these fuel islands and only fuel in CLT. Fuel island attendants would always run me down, trying to get my tractor#, for not coming in. I just laughed and kept going.

No Oil

Does OD still dump the used oil into the fuel tanks in GBO, ATL, MRT, etc.? I used to bypass all these fuel islands and only fuel in CLT. Fuel island attendants would always run me down, trying to get my tractor#, for not coming in. I just laughed and kept going.
No more oil in the fuel tanks,got kinda found out and with the new emission laws they are in very big trouble if caught with texas tea in the fuel again.

We put 750k mi. on a 2004 Freightliner with a Cat engine. Never used much oil until it got near oil change time and then only a gallon every 3-5k mi. Our new Cat used a little when new but has settled down and haven't added any since the oil was changed on the first oil change.

have you ever purchased truck motor oil? I had to once at a meijer and I nearly cried, something like four times the price of normal oil; though granted I'm sure these companies get it cheaper in bulk.