TForce | MOU on layoff (company vs. classification

UPS Teamster

Goodbye Middle Class
Credits
Very simple it is on page 99 of your pocket contract.Pay close attention to section 1 .I hope this helps some of you guys .Layoffs should be done by company time.Its a no brainer.

if your terminal is laying off by terminal seniority and there are classification members tranferred in from other terminals or other classifications from line to local or visa versa then your terminal is violating the contract...the mou has been amended in the last panel....

Did anyone ever think the company loves having seniority determined different at every terminal?

It weakens the contract. If we can let each terminal change the rules for what they want, they don't have to stand together when hard times come. Each terminal can decide what it wants to stand for. Divide and conquer.

It causes hate and discontent amongst the employees. If everyone thinks the Union is working against him as an individual, he won't work for the Union. Who will protect me? The company is my only friend when times are bad.

A company like UPS that puts out memos on whether drivers should put their seat belt on first or turn the key on first, is just leaving seniority policy float in the wind?

Doesn't this seem a little strange?

I am sure glad that all of us in New England stood together and got this one line seniority benefit resolved and negotiated before the contract was ratified. I see allot of employees using this benefit as the economy took a turn for the worse. You never know whats down the road.

if you have company seniority and no classification seniority your not laid off your put on call. so whats the difference????
ive been with the company over 10 years and i was put on call for 3 months, hell im still on call after 2 years of switching to be a driver.
back before we were union, when someone would switch boards it didn't really matter if you went to the bottom, you were expected to be at work every day. not now, you could have 30 years in and if you switch you won't be working every day. someone with less company time then you would be working, all because of classification senioity and being put on-call.

if you have company seniority and no classification seniority your not laid off your put on call. so whats the difference????
ive been with the company over 10 years and i was put on call for 3 months, hell im still on call after 2 years of switching to be a driver.
back before we were union, when someone would switch boards it didn't really matter if you went to the bottom, you were expected to be at work every day. not now, you could have 30 years in and if you switch you won't be working every day. someone with less company time then you would be working, all because of classification senioity and being put on-call.

This is exactly why there should be one list. If you were forced to the city because of line run cuts, you would go with your seniority and continue to work. When you go to the bottom this time of the year, you won't be working. Back when we were "O" and forced into the city we watched employees with very little company time work every day because they were hired for the p&d classification. Yup, you could have 30 years with the company and be forced to the bottom of the city list and never work while the guy with six months time works every day and this happened often. Been there done it!! One list is the only way to get full respect of seniority.

One list by company seniority. Regardless of transfer date. Time earned is time served.Oh thats right the UNION has already sold us out on that one!:Flame-On:

...ok guys remember it`s after your probationary period and part-time doesn`t count...the day you go full time IS WHEN YOUR SENIORITY FOR ALL PURPOSES BEGINS...

As long as locals keep cutting special deals there will be no justice for members.
Phoenix has company seniority across the board regardless of transfer date (which is the way it always was).While everyone else goes by transfer date which was never the case before the union came in.
How can these decisions be made retroactively after people transfered under the old rules.Because the union does whats in there best interest not ours.:ranting2:

i went full time on the dock back in 01, and i still get the privlege of being " on-call" .

bonus: just found out after 13 years with the company, 8 of them full time, that i didn't work enough days last year to qualify for vacation next year. this job keeps getting better and better.

i went full time on the dock back in 01, and i still get the privlege of being " on-call" .

bonus: just found out after 13 years with the company, 8 of them full time, that i didn't work enough days last year to qualify for vacation next year. this job keeps getting better and better.

Did they explain how they calculate the time for vacation.I have 25 years and am also experiencing the privelege of being on call. Just curious.

in the reno terminal we don't and we won't........

Sounds to me like this is coming from a guy who has less company time than people who aren't working and he's afraid that his true seniority might not get him as much or the kind of work that he wants.

Seriously, what's the downside of going to one board? Why are you opposed to it? If you really think about it, I suspect you're going to come up with an answer that speaks more to you surrendering work to someone with more company time and less about what seniority really means. If you're opposed to it then it's because you don't think it works out best for you.

One list seniority is coming whether you like it or not. There are too many issues and grievances that will likely lead us to one list. It's the only way to truly respect a man's time served and you'd have less grievances filed on it.

At our terminal we have road drivers with 8 years who are getting sent home and city drivers who have 1 year who are working 50 hours. Clearly these city drivers are opposed to one list. And it's not because they think seniority means something. It's because they DON'T want it to mean something. If you're union and you're a Teamster, then you have to be pro-seniority. You cannot have it any other way. If so then you're a Measter and you're working for the wrong company.

If its anything like our barn it's probably Motor Cargo guys that are tickled pink to see an Overnite guy get it dry.

Bitter maybe??????