TForce | MOU on layoff (company vs. classification

so what is your point about article 5? explain

I believe the question is why are people getting laid off by terminal seniority instead of company seniority. If indeed that is happening. Seems like in this company every terminal runs differently.

However, I think the point is in the first and second paragraph of the MOU.

Is a reference to the date an individual became a full time employee with the Employer, not the date the individual entered the job classification in which the layoff may be occurring.

You shouldn't be laid off by transfer seniority .Only company!!!!!

Sorry jdtex, I didn't see this when I posted about article 5.

We all need to fight this. It goes against everything a union should stand for.

Company seniority is all we have. To be laid of by terminal seniority is a travesty.

As much as webidiot hates Overnite. Even he will have to admit Overnite didn't stoop that low.

I was with Overnite long enough to know that they always laid off by company seniority.

But to tell you the truth I can't remember Overnite ever laying people off in the old days.

They seem to go by past practice only if it benefits them.

Well JD this has always been past practice with Overnite.

We have one line seniority in New England, it's not a dream, and it's the way it should be

Well, If you had enough drivers go along with that more power to you if that is what your terminal wants.
If this was a new start up company and everyone decided to have one board I would be ok with that.

However, This is not a new start up company. Drivers in different classifications spent years and years to get the place they are at. Myself being at the top would benefit with a one board going back in forth. But fair is fair and I wouldn't be for that and most agree with me.

So you people in in New England enjoy your new one board but we will never be completely uniform.

I guess that will be ok to.

I am opposed to one list because dock, city driver and road driver are not the same job. If I run the road for twenty years and decide I have had enough working nights, I want to be the number one city man for my last five years, is that fair to drivers who have worked the city board for their whole career? What about a city or dock man who wants to build up his earnings for his last 5 years before retirement? Should he be able to step into the number one road slot?

What if I only like running the road in the summer, can I take the number one dock position during the winters? This could end up having to have a daily rebid for the entire terminal every time they decide to cut a run or dock man. If we weren't all worried about being laid off, I think this would be a different argument. If we had one board, we would have just as many people unhappy, just different people.

No it wouldn't be a daily rebid. One bid every six months. You are line or local. You don't bounce back and forth. Then when it's bid time again you take another choice.

i went full time on the dock back in 01, and i still get the privlege of being " on-call" .

bonus: just found out after 13 years with the company, 8 of them full time, that i didn't work enough days last year to qualify for vacation next year. this job keeps getting better and better.

You got to be kidding right.:biglaugh:

I doubt that this kind of talk got you banned because I am a big supporter of one list seniority and speak it all the time and I have not been banned. I fought for this right in New England with many other employees and we strictly go by one seniority list. There must be more to the story.

PM me BusterNite and tell me what other board is he referring to. I think I know but not sure.

I think it should be company senority (period). This was how O did it , when you were hired you usually started on the dock, moved to city and if you wanted to make big bucks, road was the place to be, if you had the time put in. Anymore, there seems to be alot of guys stuck and happy with where they are at, and that is fine, but when jobs get cut, dont expect the top guys (usually road) to take it on the chin. driving is driving, no matter if your a road or city driver, and dock work is avalible to anyone with arms and legs, that should be the last place a top guy wants to be, but if he started out there, he has the right to go there if he has no other options , and if they had moved "UP", then can do any job they want, reguardless of job classification senority.

how many times do you people have to be told the mou has been modified and the language has been made clear. contact your local for the correct information. if you change classifications or move to a barn you seniority only applies to vacations and does not apply to layoffs.

I contacted my local and they know nothing about any changes to the MOU. I was told layoffs are supposed to be by company seniority...like its always been done.

how many times do you people have to be told the mou has been modified and the language has been made clear. contact your local for the correct information. if you change classifications or move to a barn you seniority only applies to vacations and does not apply to layoffs.

Well, That is good news. It is the way Overnite always did it to.

This is the way it is:
When you become "Full Time" at your terminal, this is your Company seniority date, for vacations, retirement & layoffs.
Should you change classifications, then you go to the bottom of the list in which you are changing to.
But your Company seniority for that terminal stays the same. (Terminal Seniority)
Transfers:
When you voluntarily transfer from one terminal to another.
You go to the bottom of the of the affected list. (Dock,Road,P&D)
Your transfer date becomes your terminal seniority for the new terminal. (Art. 5, sec. G & UPSF rule book)
You do not take away the job of someone that is ahead of you at the new terminal in case of layoff.

Once again, when you "change" classifications at the same terminal this is not a transfer and you keep your company seniority. It's how long you have been at that terminal in case of layoffs.
And if UPSF has made a mistake, then file a grievance with your local.
And possibly we can get another MOU regarding this.

I doubled checked all settings. Try again...

When I try to PM you a screen comes up, ( skeeter has chosen not to receive private messages or skeeter may not be allowed to receive private messages)

It works with anyone else I try to PM. You must have something off.

You got to be kidding right.:biglaugh:

He is not kidding, we had a man who was out with a broken ankle, " overnite" never did this , it was submitted in the contract you must work so many posted days in order to qualify for vacation time the following year.

He is not kidding, we had a man who was out with a broken ankle, " overnite" never did this , it was submitted in the contract you must work so many posted days in order to qualify for vacation time the following year.

This is true, We must work 156 reports in a calendar year to accumulate vacation time. A report would also include any paid time off from work such as, vacation time, sick, discretionary, jury or personal day. In other words once you start to get close to that mark of being out of work for (roughly) more than 5 months, the risk of not accumulating vacation time for the following year exists...............ratio 40 reports=1 vacation day.

This is true, We must work 156 reports in a calendar year to accumulate vacation time. A report would also include any paid time off from work such as, vacation time, sick, discretionary, jury or personal day. In other words once you start to get close to that mark of being out of work for (roughly) more than 5 months, the risk of not accumulating vacation time for the following year exists...............ratio 40 reports=1 vacation day.

Thanx buster for picking up the slack, I do not have the contract on my laptop as of yet.:beerchug::beerchug: