Holland | Moving Freight Problems ??

The Central States Pension Fund is underfunded because of Congressional tinkering in late 70's and 80's. . . same kind of tinkering Congress did with the the Post Office pension which has put the Post Office in the Red.

The Central States Pension Fund will shake out just like the UAW fund is now. Once you turn old enough for S.S. your pension will be reduced by the amount you receive in Social Security benefits.

Ex: If you are due $3000/mo under Central States and your S.S. is $1900/mo, your Central States benefit will be reduced by $1900/mo. so your combined pension totals $3000/mo. ($1,100 CS + $1900 SS)

You would have need +$400,000 in a 401k to just to equal the reduced Central States Pension.

So take a deep breath . . . the world is not coming to an end. Not just yet anyway.

If you dwell on this stuff all the time, like a dog with an old bone, you will just make yourself sick. Then it won't matter because you won't be around to collect a pension from either Central States or a 401k.

Why would you be willing to put up with it being reduced? If you were "owed" $3000 a month in pension that's what you should get on top of your social security! That's what's wrong with this whole picture! It's not going to shake itself out! Currently 4 retirees are drawing out while the company is contributing for 1 employee. What's it going to be like when the rest of the teamsters that could retire right now finally hang it up?
It's only going to get worse. How do you fix it? Make companies put in more per employee? Where's that money going to come from? Even if the bonuses the honchos at YRC and ABF have taken were put into health and welfare it wouldn't come close to bridging the gap in central states.

WHY is everybody so worried about O.T. pay ?? like with Old Dom. maybe no OT pay BUT the rate is $25. hr & plus they have a 6% match for the 401-K , that YOU control NOT the union !!!!! and their is more to LIFE then working OT , ever thought about what it would be like to be at home more than at work ??? , with these 60 to 70 hrs weeks , you might as well be a OTR driver as all you do is go home sleep & shower for like 8-9 hrs & then back to working OT again ???

Have to say I agree..As long as the company is giving you your 40 and treating you decent, I think that fine...Drivers love to whine about OT. If you were paying someone to do a job, you wouldn't want to pay them OT, so I cant for the life of me understand why drivers act as if overtime is a right.

Have to say I agree..As long as the company is giving you your 40 and treating you decent, I think that fine...Drivers love to whine about OT. If you were paying someone to do a job, you wouldn't want to pay them OT, so I cant for the life of me understand why drivers act as if overtime is a right.

Well technically for the rest of the working world OT after 40 is a right. Why trucking was ever exempted from that I will never know.

Well technically for the rest of the working world OT after 40 is a right. Why trucking was ever exempted from that I will never know.

Yea I know that Song, what I am saying is, that drivers complain if they don't get it. Work your forty and go home. If they are slammed and you get a few extra, roll with it.

The Central States Pension Fund is underfunded because of Congressional tinkering in late 70's and 80's. . . same kind of tinkering Congress did with the the Post Office pension which has put the Post Office in the Red.

The Central States Pension Fund will shake out just like the UAW fund is now. Once you turn old enough for S.S. your pension will be reduced by the amount you receive in Social Security benefits.

Ex: If you are due $3000/mo under Central States and your S.S. is $1900/mo, your Central States benefit will be reduced by $1900/mo. so your combined pension totals $3000/mo. ($1,100 CS + $1900 SS)

You would have need +$400,000 in a 401k to just to equal the reduced Central States Pension.

So take a deep breath . . . the world is not coming to an end. Not just yet anyway.

If you dwell on this stuff all the time, like a dog with an old bone, you will just make yourself sick. Then it won't matter because you won't be around to collect a pension from either Central States or a 401k.
Speaking from experience as a "retired" PO employee and local officer in the APWU the PO's money problems come from Bush's mandate that the PO "PREFUND" their retirement program to the initial amount of 14 BILLION dollars!
The PO has never recovered from that hit to their bottom line to date. Prior to that implementation the PO was in the black... and that was a negotiating year. NO other industry does this to my knowledge (in the US).
Bush also setup a review committee to "review and recommend for revision the PO in a better "business model". That board as chaired by the CEO of Lockheed Martin, which by the by is the largest manufacturer of mail sorting equipment in the world, and 7 other representatives of companies that provide key PO services and or equipment. Only 1 !!! representative from "labor" was on the committee and "suprise" he was never invited to any ... ANY of the committee meetings.

Speaking from experience as a "retired" PO employee and local officer in the APWU the PO's money problems come from Bush's mandate that the PO "PREFUND" their retirement program to the initial amount of 14 BILLION dollars!
The PO has never recovered from that hit to their bottom line to date. Prior to that implementation the PO was in the black... and that was a negotiating year. NO other industry does this to my knowledge (in the US).
Bush also setup a review committee to "review and recommend for revision the PO in a better "business model". That board as chaired by the CEO of Lockheed Martin, which by the by is the largest manufacturer of mail sorting equipment in the world, and 7 other representatives of companies that provide key PO services and or equipment. Only 1 !!! representative from "labor" was on the committee and "suprise" he was never invited to any ... ANY of the committee meetings.

Agreed. But I was trying to not name names or point fingers at one particular party.

Why would you be willing to put up with it being reduced? If you were "owed" $3000 a month in pension that's what you should get on top of your social security! That's what's wrong with this whole picture! It's not going to shake itself out! Currently 4 retirees are drawing out while the company is contributing for 1 employee. What's it going to be like when the rest of the teamsters that could retire right now finally hang it up?
It's only going to get worse. How do you fix it? Make companies put in more per employee? Where's that money going to come from? Even if the bonuses the honchos at YRC and ABF have taken were put into health and welfare it wouldn't come close to bridging the gap in central states.

There is a group organized to fight the changes. But it is unlikely fund participants will be allowed anything more than a cursory involvement. The fix will be for all pensions, past present, and future. Otherwise nothing is done and the pension guarantee fund gives participants about 5 cents on the dollar. So a $3000/mo pension would be worth $150 if nothing is done.

simple math: 12hrs at old dom $ 300, 12hrs with OT after 8 hrs at holland $296. Nobody is forsing them to work OT or work on saturday like they do it at holland terminal where I work (DE)

There is a group organized to fight the changes. But it is unlikely fund participants will be allowed anything more than a cursory involvement. The fix will be for all pensions, past present, and future. Otherwise nothing is done and the pension guarantee fund gives participants about 5 cents on the dollar. So a $3000/mo pension would be worth $150 if nothing is done.

Yikes! You could take your dues money and invest it yourself for a better return than that!

simple math: 12hrs at old dom $ 300, 12hrs with OT after 8 hrs at holland $296. Nobody is forsing them to work OT or work on saturday like they do it at holland terminal where I work (DE)
Step2far this is Griz from memphis. Our current opps manager is coming your way next month. Ryan S. has taken the asst. terminal managers job at DE. This young man comes to you guys after about a 6 month stop here in memphis. He is young (29) and very aggressive. Hardest working supervisor I've ever seen. He's really looking forward to this challenge. GRIZ PS (PM For further commentary. He-he)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Many different companies are paid in many different ways. At the end of the week you have to look at your paycheck and decide if that is an acceptable amount of pay for the amount of work you did, it is that simple, it doesn't matter what any other trucking company pays or what your neighbor get paid, it only matters what you did and what you got paid. If it not enough go find a job elsewhere. There are companies everywhere that are begging for drivers, it will not be difficult to find another real nice non union job or maybe a job at ABF. I had my largest take home paycheck of my life last week and did not work that hard to get it, I have good health insurance and vacation, yes the pension contribution is low at this time, but for the amount of work I did and sleeping in motels I am very happy with my job. I guess one advantage I have over some guys is that I have worked some real garbage jobs, bad working conditions, dishonest bosses, even dangerous jobs, so I can really appreciate a job where the pay is good, the checks don't bounce and the equipment while old usually get me from one terminal to the next and if they do break down I get paid twenty bucks an hour to wait for them to be fixed. You have to realize there is a whole lot more to how good a job is than the hourly wage, by the way next time you are talking to an OD driver ask him how much he gets paid to sit and wait for a truck to be fixed. I know from experience a guy could do a whole lot worse than work for Holland, and they are finding some new drivers I have been talking to some of them at foreign terminals and they are not bad guys, many of them came from some of these garbage non union companies like R&L and can appreciate what we have here. I guess I get frustrated reading all the guys bitching on here all the time, if it that bad go somewhere else, than maybe you will have something to ***** about!

Many different companies are paid in many different ways. At the end of the week you have to look at your paycheck and decide if that is an acceptable amount of pay for the amount of work you did, it is that simple, it doesn't matter what any other trucking company pays or what your neighbor get paid, it only matters what you did and what you got paid. If it not enough go find a job elsewhere. There are companies everywhere that are begging for drivers, it will not be difficult to find another real nice non union job or maybe a job at ABF. I had my largest take home paycheck of my life last week and did not work that hard to get it, I have good health insurance and vacation, yes the pension contribution is low at this time, but for the amount of work I did and sleeping in motels I am very happy with my job. I guess one advantage I have over some guys is that I have worked some real garbage jobs, bad working conditions, dishonest bosses, even dangerous jobs, so I can really appreciate a job where the pay is good, the checks don't bounce and the equipment while old usually get me from one terminal to the next and if they do break down I get paid twenty bucks an hour to wait for them to be fixed. You have to realize there is a whole lot more to how good a job is than the hourly wage, by the way next time you are talking to an OD driver ask him how much he gets paid to sit and wait for a truck to be fixed. I know from experience a guy could do a whole lot worse than work for Holland, and they are finding some new drivers I have been talking to some of them at foreign terminals and they are not bad guys, many of them came from some of these garbage non union companies like R&L and can appreciate what we have here. I guess I get frustrated reading all the guys bitching on here all the time, if it that bad go somewhere else, than maybe you will have something to ***** about!

You're dying to vote yes on another giveback. But then again you're the turd that said he hopes guys get fired so he can move up the list

Each day that I wake up I have a choice: I can build heaven in my life, or I can build hell in my life. I have tried the second and it doesn't work. Living life continually unhappy will eventually make a person sick. It's just not worth it.

Its just like love . . . Love is a choice. You can choose to love someone or not to, the same way with happiness. The ability to control happiness is yours and yours alone. Unless you surrender that power to a corporation, person, or idol. Even then the responsibility for our unhappiness is still ours, because it was our decision to surrender freedom of choice in the first place.

You're dying to vote yes on another giveback. But then again you're the turd that said he hopes guys get fired so he can move up the list
Totally disagree with you on this one. I believe the majority of the workforce at Holland is content with their job and in most cases wouldn't think about changing companies with a FedEx or Conway. I believe 5tolls post was a very honest Assessment of his work ideas. I've been on the non side (25 years ago) and would hate to think about going back to that nightmare. By the way I here young men at our barn talk about how they've done the research on how much better off they would be if they changed companies now, but guess what they always find a reason or excuse why they need to stay. I never tell our men to leave if they don't like it here. I challenge them to make it better. I been at holland during the good times and know what made this an attractable job. Those options are no longer available to us. I guess to sum things up, young drivers you have options, study them and come to a agreement with yourself and family if this is the place for you. If it is, trust us old Holland hands that we will point and lead you guys in the right direction.
By the way Wong Yrc/ATM this has nothing to do with being a yes or no man. Thanks and have a great holiday. Griz.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I have never voted yes in my life and I have been a teamster since I worked for Bird Trucking out of Waupun in WI in 1985, my name is Bill and I am a tall fella out of the Appleton terminal, please call me a turd to my face sometime, I would appreciate it if you would do it when we were not on company property! Thanks!

By the way, who are you, I would love to chat about this BS you post about people in person, it doesn't take much of a man to talk crap on the internet, it's kind of like talking tough on the CB...I am sorry if that was rude but I would just like to ***** slap guys like you you that say things that are based on them misunderstanding what someone says. That's right I called you a *****...like I said tall Appleton guy named Bill, real easy to find I will probably be at a terminal near you real soon and I will call you a ***** to your face!

I have never voted yes in my life and I have been a teamster since I worked for Bird Trucking out of Waupun in WI in 1985, my name is Bill and I am a tall fella out of the Appleton terminal, please call me a turd to my face sometime, I would appreciate it if you would do it when we were not on company property! Thanks!

Did you not post that you want to see guys get fired so you can move up on the list?

I have no idea what you talking about, I actually went into the archives to try and find something that could have sounded like that, but the archives only go back a short ways. I know how things can get misunderstood, this week I was down in Atlanta and there were two car accidents at two exits in a row and all the guys were talking about the dry roads and why people were smashing their cars up. Well I thought I would be funny and keyed up and said it must be black ice, well this fella that sounded African American just started going ape **** on me because of what I said, I could not figure out why until I told my wife and daughter about it and my daughter said that when I said black ice it sounded like black guys, then it made sense. Maybe I posted something on here that sounded like I hope some one got fired, but I sure can't remember what that could have been. I might have said something about hoping that these guys that were voting yes ended up losing their jobs down the road or something like that, but I really don't remember anything in particular. I think you might be confusing me with someone else. I did say a while back on here that after reading some of the guys posts I felt a little dumber, that might have gotten under someone's skin. We have only had one guy get fired in the last couple years in Appleton and if you know the story he definitely asked for it.
Did you not post that you want to see guys get fired so you can move up on the list?

I have no idea what you talking about, I actually went into the archives to try and find something that could have sounded like that, but the archives only go back a short ways. I know how things can get misunderstood, this week I was down in Atlanta and there were two car accidents at two exits in a row and all the guys were talking about the dry roads and why people were smashing their cars up. Well I thought I would be funny and keyed up and said it must be black ice, well this fella that sounded African American just started going ape **** on me because of what I said, I could not figure out why until I told my wife and daughter about it and my daughter said that when I said black ice it sounded like black guys, then it made sense. Maybe I posted something on here that sounded like I hope some one got fired, but I sure can't remember what that could have been. I might have said something about hoping that these guys that were voting yes ended up losing their jobs down the road or something like that, but I really don't remember anything in particular. I think you might be confusing me with someone else. I did say a while back on here that after reading some of the guys posts I felt a little dumber, that might have gotten under someone's skin. We have only had one guy get fired in the last couple years in Appleton and if you know the story he definitely asked for it.

Well I recall you saying that. If I misunderstood the context then I am at fault and apologize. Im in Milwaukee and am tall too (not sure what that has anything to do with anything)

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk