Holland | Moving Freight Problems ??

I transferred from Milwaukee last Feb 7th, I probably know you. I was hired spring of 2012 with Tim Dale and Rich, we all started the same night but they had seniority on me because they came over from YRC. I have not been in Milwaukee lately, did Dale F. get his job over at ABF? You are not the guy with the fancy Mustang are you?

I transferred from Milwaukee last Feb 7th, I probably know you. I was hired spring of 2012 with Tim Dale and Rich, we all started the same night but they had seniority on me because they came over from YRC. I have not been in Milwaukee lately, did Dale F. get his job over at ABF? You are not the guy with the fancy Mustang are you?

Im a city driver. I do not believe Dale left for ABF but not positive. I did see him a few weeks ago. He lost his DE bid and wasnt happy. Had a few retire from the road board since last year, two hired, and one transfered from the city, but with the new bids you would still be a long way from a bid run. The fancy mustang I think was repossessed.

I don't know many city drivers, pretty much just Charlie and the guy who's wife has the restaurant up in Allenton, they both still run Madison I think and Reggie, I always appreciated how Reggie would help me out when I stopped by to make a kick. I just got off of a bid and am back on the open board.....I am way happier the bid I was on was a crummy one. The reason I mention that I am tall is that we have three Bill's on the road board in AP, one is pretty short, one is kind of medium and I am tall, I would hate to be talking smart on here and find out that one of the other Bill's got punched in the nose because of it!.....well it might be a little funny!

I don't know many city drivers, pretty much just Charlie and the guy who's wife has the restaurant up in Allenton, they both still run Madison I think and Reggie, I always appreciated how Reggie would help me out when I stopped by to make a kick. I just got off of a bid and am back on the open board.....I am way happier the bid I was on was a crummy one. The reason I mention that I am tall is that we have three Bill's on the road board in AP, one is pretty short, one is kind of medium and I am tall, I would hate to be talking smart on here and find out that one of the other Bill's got punched in the nose because of it!.....well it might be a little funny!

Im on the first inbound shift so I see a lot of road drivers. Reggie had the fancy mustang. He does get a lot of the kicks. I work the other end of the dock and load a heavy area so I dont get bothered with those.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

I didn't know that Reggie had a mustang, there is also a road driver that has a real fancy one, at least he showed me pictures on his phone with a hot woman in a bikini and said it was his car and wife...I believed him. I want to say it had some sort of fancy doors on it that opened differently than regular doors.

Trying to get back on topic, I am always watching the other companies what they are offering and such. I was looking at a Conway add on Career Builders and it read:

Compensation & Benefits:

Pay starts at $19.60 per hour and may also include the opportunity for overtime and an annual company bonus. Benefit plans are based on length of employment, beginning with 401k eligibility and expanding up to full medical, dental, vision, prescription, life insurance and disability. Con-way Freight is a great opportunity for a challenging career with tremendous growth potential and the flexibility to be home every day.

Does anyone know what they mean when they say expanding up to full medical? Do you have to work there for a while before you get Insurance? I know I was just looking into the Walmart in Beaver Dam, WI and was not very impressed with their medical, not only a pretty good weekly deduction from your check but a 3500 family deductible. I know guys are PO'd about the pension, but we do still have good health insurance for now!

Trying to get back on topic, I am always watching the other companies what they are offering and such. I was looking at a Conway add on Career Builders and it read:

Compensation & Benefits:

Pay starts at $19.60 per hour and may also include the opportunity for overtime and an annual company bonus. Benefit plans are based on length of employment, beginning with 401k eligibility and expanding up to full medical, dental, vision, prescription, life insurance and disability. Con-way Freight is a great opportunity for a challenging career with tremendous growth potential and the flexibility to be home every day.

Does anyone know what they mean when they say expanding up to full medical? Do you have to work there for a while before you get Insurance? I know I was just looking into the Walmart in Beaver Dam, WI and was not very impressed with their medical, not only a pretty good weekly deduction from your check but a 3500 family deductible. I know guys are PO'd about the pension, but we do still have good health insurance for now!

You dont get full medical (whatever that means) until you top out at Conway. That takes 5 years in this part of the country.

Any idea what you get for the first five years? Partial Medical? Half Medical? Hope your wife has insurance?

You dont get full medical (whatever that means) until you top out at Conway. That takes 5 years in this part of the country.

What the?? The Evil Empire knows no bounds . . . Conway Mission Statement: "Cheat Employees out of as much money as possible for Wall Street"

Having served a 3 year sentence as a Con-way convict I can clear up the benefits question. You are eligible when you complete 90 days of employment and are eligible only for the basic plan. Crappy coverage but you have insurance. After your first year you can choose from any plan they offer.

That sure would make me think twice about going to work there! I have been doing quite a bit of trolling lately, from what I read on this here computer, it sounds like the OD guys are probably happier than most. I don't know if that means they have it good or just don't know what good is, but there isn't much bitching on their site, compared to others.
It does sound like finding drivers is pretty hard to do for most companies, we are not alone with that problem, I don't think many of these young fella's want to work that hard and they definitely don't want to be out on the road all week. Can you imagine the shortage there is going to be in five or ten years with all the drivers in their late fifties and sixties.
Having served a 3 year sentence as a Con-way convict I can clear up the benefits question. You are eligible when you complete 90 days of employment and are eligible only for the basic plan. Crappy coverage but you have insurance. After your first year you can choose from any plan they offer.

I stand corrected

That sure would make me think twice about going to work there! I have been doing quite a bit of trolling lately, from what I read on this here computer, it sounds like the OD guys are probably happier than most. I don't know if that means they have it good or just don't know what good is, but there isn't much bitching on their site, compared to others.
It does sound like finding drivers is pretty hard to do for most companies, we are not alone with that problem, I don't think many of these young fella's want to work that hard and they definitely don't want to be out on the road all week. Can you imagine the shortage there is going to be in five or ten years with all the drivers in their late fifties and sixties.

Believe it or not OD isn't the great satan that it gets portrayed as. I've been here almost a year and it is by far the best trucking job I've had. You show up and do your job, they leave you alone. We are respected by folks in operations and are asked how to make things work better. Yes we do pay for some of our insurance, but in today's world there are very few who don't, and that's not just in the trucking world.

I'm 33 years old, and it's going to be very interesting to see how the industry copes with the impending shortage of drivers. I look at some of our younger drivers and it's a mixed bag of guys who have what it takes to make a career of it, and then some who couldn't find their ass if you gave them a map and they used both hands. I really hope the ltl world remains the place where the good guys go to work. Only time will tell I guess.

I have never heard anything about OD being a great satan, I just had heard they did not pay well for the misc things, waiting, break downs that sort of thing. It doesn't seem like it was all that long ago that they were just a small company that no one really paid any attention to, I guess times have changed! Nice hearing from you Songremainsthesame!

I have never heard anything about OD being a great satan, I just had heard they did not pay well for the misc things, waiting, break downs that sort of thing. It doesn't seem like it was all that long ago that they were just a small company that no one really paid any attention to, I guess times have changed! Nice hearing from you Songremainsthesame!

I know we get paid for breakdowns but I don't know how much (haven't broken down yet) and waiting is free, but it's quite rare that it happens. We do get paid delay in the hotel, not much but for sitting on my ass watching tv doing nothing it works. There just seems to be some propaganda thrown out time to time about them and I feel obligated to defend them. They haven't done me wrong yet. Not all folks would like working here and that's fine but it really burns my ass when folks torch a place they haven't worked for and don't have all the facts. Not to say I haven't been outspoken about this or that in relation to other outfits, but I do my best to have my facts straight and will be the first to apologize when wrong. Hope you have a safe one!

Cant hire drivers here at CN. The ones they do hire tear up more **** than I have ever seen. Local hires cant even drive forklift. This company has become a joke. I have been at CN since day one.It is amazing what YRC or Yellow or whatever you call it these days is doing to what used to be a great company. Been in the industry 36 years it saddens me to see the way USF Holland has been torn down

We sure are busy enough to pay some new guys a little better and get some quality drivers in here. I could see if business was bad, but I see the pile of envelopes in the middle of the night and on Saturday's that they are really struggling to move and you can't tell me we couldn't give the new guys one year at ninety percent and then full wage the second year or something like that to get a little higher quality of guy coming here. Of course, I guess if you can't keep the guys you got, does it really matter. Can't wait for them to start hiring right out of Diesel Driving School, then we should really have some great stories to tell on TB.

I interviewed at Holland and was asked to road test before going to OD. I would have loved to go to work for them, the terminal mgr in Atlanta was a good guy, seemed like good management there (relatively speaking) and I've got several good friends that work down there. With the 15% giveback and the YRC anchor, I couldn't do it.

Even if the pay was better, I still think the junk they would have to drive would keep them from staying! Hell the only reason I'm staying is because I'm almost done. Just a few more months and I'm out of here!! Hopefully things will turn around and will all work out in the end? Just don't see it though???