ABF | Moving I prefer toTransfer to another location

Mally

TB Lurker
Credits
Happy New Years. How does the process work to transfer to another location, also how long do you have to work with the company.

Process depends on which board your are on City board arrange with the terminal you wish to transfer to Basically you resign from the company and are rehired by your new terminal Keep pay and vacation go to bottom of board Road is different it may have changed but go to bottom of board for year and a day can only transfer if there are openings

You may want to double check on the keeping your fringe benefits and full pay. Here in the Southern Region, unless something has changed, you resign at your current terminal and wait 7 days to be rehired as a “new hire” at the terminal you wish to go to. The only exception to this is Article 40, Section 3, of the Southern Region supplement. It states that you can transfer from road to local cartage or vice-versa one time with no retreat rights at his/her present terminal location. It goes on to say that you go to the bottom of the board for bidding, but you do keep your current rate of pay and fringe benefits. The only other exception that I know of is in Article 5, Section 5 of the ABF Master Contract. It states that if you are on letter of layoff for more than 30 days, you will be given the opportunity to transfer to another location ahead of any new hires at your current rate with fringe benefits, but you go to the bottom of the seniority roster for bidding. There may be exceptions made in some areas depending on the need to hire, but be sure and double check and preferably get it in writing before you jump to a new terminal and get burned after the fact.

You may want to double check on the keeping your fringe benefits and full pay. Here in the Southern Region, unless something has changed, you resign at your current terminal and wait 7 days to be rehired as a “new hire” at the terminal you wish to go to. The only exception to this is Article 40, Section 3, of the Southern Region supplement. It states that you can transfer from road to local cartage or vice-versa one time with no retreat rights at his/her present terminal location. It goes on to say that you go to the bottom of the board for bidding, but you do keep your current rate of pay and fringe benefits. The only other exception that I know of is in Article 5, Section 5 of the ABF Master Contract. It states that if you are on letter of layoff for more than 30 days, you will be given the opportunity to transfer to another location ahead of any new hires at your current rate with fringe benefits, but you go to the bottom of the seniority roster for bidding. There may be exceptions made in some areas depending on the need to hire, but be sure and double check and preferably get it in writing before you jump to a new terminal and get burned after the fact.
Thanks for all the info

I just took a transfer from Reading,PA to Ocala, FL. I got hired off the street in Reading for the driver development program last summer. In the development program if you include the daily food per diem into the hourly rate I made a higher hourly rate in CDL training than going down to 90% of top rate after I transfer with driving experience. That’s crazy.

I just took a transfer from Reading,PA to Ocala, FL. I got hired off the street in Reading for the driver development program last summer. In the development program if you include the daily food per diem into the hourly rate I made a higher hourly rate in CDL training than going down to 90% of top rate after I transfer with driving experience. That’s crazy.
Not crazy at all they tend to screw the people who been here all along making it happen. Congrats to the local in Ohio putting a stop to the sign on bonus, if everyone in the barn is not getting it no one is....ABF better dig a little deeper this next contract seeing how were slammed with freight & record profits every quarter. I don't think the O'Brien team will let us down like our last elected officials....

Not crazy at all they tend to screw the people who been here all along making it happen. Congrats to the local in Ohio putting a stop to the sign on bonus, if everyone in the barn is not getting it no one is....ABF better dig a little deeper this next contract seeing how were slammed with freight & record profits every quarter. I don't think the O'Brien team will let us down like our last elected officials....
Almost makes you feel like they want new hires more than they want their experienced employees.

That idea of working at one terminal until you retire or losing everything you've gained over the years...maybe that worked 20 years ago at an EXCLUSIVE company. But ABF gave back 7% in 2013, wages have fallen a bit behind other LTL's, and Judy is STILL on a shopping spree with that giveback money with no apparent potential to be made whole.

And that's not to kick you guys, that's just to say that times have changed, and the work rules should reflect that.

Can't expect to have military control over your employees when you aren't taking care of the troops like you used to.