Mt. Joy (Lancaster, PA) terminal questions

rjg

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi guys, I'm a newbie here on the boards and don't have LTL experience so really don't know how that system operates.

NEMF opened a terminal in Mt. Joy which is only a few miles from where I live. I am considering applying for a job but before I go through that process I would like to make sure that I could actually work from that terminal... as in drive my car there and pick up a truck and go. It seems like a small terminal so I just want to make sure that it isn't just some kind of transfer facility or something. Again, I only have a little idea of how the LTL system works so any tips will be appreciated.

All LTL basically works the same. You have two kinds of drivers. P & D or local drivers and line haul drivers.

If you are a P & D driver you will deliver and make pick up for your terminal and you go home every night. If you are a line haul driver you bring the freight betweem terminals and you may be out overnight or even for a few days.

It all depends on what the terminal is looking for and what kind of experience you may have.

Mount Joy Terminal

How people are at this terminal? NEMF is with the Machinist Union, right? I found that there is 56 doors at the terminal.

From reading these threads it seems most don't like the P&D but prefer linehaul. I guess P&D would be harder work, so does that pay more? Or is pay generally based on senority? Maybe someone starts out as a P&D and then moves to linehaul and better pay?

I am delivering soda right now, have been for nearly seven years. They're cutting my pay so I am not very happy!

From reading these threads it seems most don't like the P&D but prefer linehaul. I guess P&D would be harder work, so does that pay more? Or is pay generally based on senority? Maybe someone starts out as a P&D and then moves to linehaul and better pay?

I am delivering soda right now, have been for nearly seven years. They're cutting my pay so I am not very happy!

first of all, that "new Terminal" could just be a drop yard. BUT if it IS a terminal, then go IN PERSON and apply for a job, you will work out of that palce IF you are a P&D driver.

NOW, as for linehaul, generally, central dispatch in Elizabeth (01) will be your dispatching, but, you will STILL BE running out of Mt Joy. the TM at Mt Joy can still tell you what to do, etc,etc, but your dispatch comes from Elizabeth (as a linehaul driver).

now, pay........

usually P&D drivers get paid more, as they work more hours, but don't forget, you'll be handling freight at times.....

linehaul drivers get paid by the mile, and any extra pay comes from pulling pups, or turnpike doubles, and any loading dock work you do (if its required or not, this may have changed), and doing overnighters. i NEVER made more than a P&D driver.................

The Mt. Joy location is an actual terminal. It was the original Lancaster NEMF terminal. It was closed for about eight years after NEMF purchased the Camp Hill hub from Nations Way.

The Mount Joy terminal has some of the best management of any of the NEMF locations! Eileen and Randy are knowledgeable and professional assets to the company.

This being said, don't apply at NEMF. There are better options in your area.

FedEx National LTL is just to the north on 283. They start out at .495cpm. Equipment is better, management is better, pay is better, I can think of nothing that NEMF has to offer that can compare........

Call Jim S. at the Fedex National facility. He can tell you everything that you need to know.

I spent eight years hating NEMF and the last few months loving it here at national!!!!!

just my two cents - good luck

Thanks for your help and advice guys. I see there are some job postings with FedEx National in Middletown so I'll be investigating that too.

A few months ago a P&D NEMF driver and I were at the same place and I asked him about his job. He was having a rotten day for various reasons but had good to say about the company. So I thought that was impressive and made me feel NEMF was worth checking out at least.

NEMF is a good place to work. As a road driver you will have some low or unpaid detention time, as a P&D driver you will deliver and pick up freight. Road work is usually nights and P&D work is generally days/evenings. Remeber all freight companies have there flaws. Steelmiller will find Fed Ex National has flaws also. NEMF is a secure growing company. I would recomend trying us out.

Any job is worth checking out before you mark it off the list including the one you asked about in the 1st post. Add what you find out for your self to what people tell you.

NEMF is a good place to work. As a road driver you will have some low or unpaid detention time, as a P&D driver you will deliver and pick up freight. Road work is usually nights and P&D work is generally days/evenings. Remeber all freight companies have there flaws. Steelmiller will find Fed Ex National has flaws also. NEMF is a secure growing company. I would recomend trying us out.

Point taken, NELTL. There are no perfect jobs, especially truck driving jobs!

I simply feel that in an area like Lancaster, PA there are many excellent choices in the LTL industry for someone to consider. Since I have experience at both companies I felt qualified to offer advice on this matter.

A new job is a big decision! Take your time, consider other options as well.... Let us know!

IMHO NEMF p&d guys are usually more content than the road guys. I agree that at NEMF city often makes more money than the road drivers do - maybe the only company whose pay is structured this way.

So if you do decide on New England and all other factors being even - go with the city....

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here on the boards and don't have LTL experience so really don't know how that system operates.

NEMF opened a terminal in Mt. Joy which is only a few miles from where I live. I am considering applying for a job but before I go through that process I would like to make sure that I could actually work from that terminal... as in drive my car there and pick up a truck and go. It seems like a small terminal so I just want to make sure that it isn't just some kind of transfer facility or something. Again, I only have a little idea of how the LTL system works so any tips will be appreciated.
I believe I can answer most of your questions about this Termional. Mt. Joy is not a new terminal. In fact, it was in operation for approximately 8 years and it closed up when NEMF opened a larger facility in Camp Hill, PA. Most of the personnel moved to the Camp Hill Terminal at that time.
I realize that you first posted your question in Jan., but no matter, since it's not likely that they'll hiring anyone until the end of MAR or the beginning of APR. This is a separate, stand alone, terminal. Part of the overall Terminal network.
They reopened this facility because Camp Hill is a Break-Bulk facility and has more work than it can handle effectively. Operational changes have been made to provide this Terminal with sufficient operating area, while relieving two other terminals of some of the more remote sections they previously served.
Our Network is now stronger and better organized to provide proper service levels.
I met the TM once a he seemed to be a decent guy with ample industry experience. If you live in the immediate area and you have a good safety record, along with some practical experience (I would say that Store-Door Delivery qualifys as experience for P & D work) Why not put in an application.
Most all LTL Companies, NEMF included, will require their drivers to have a Hazardous Materials Endorcement on their CDL. If you don't know this already, it involves a background check including finger prints, taking 5-6 weeks to get the results of the background check back.
I think that you will get a straight answer about pay and benefits from someone at the Terminal, should they offer you a job at some point. I can tell you that starting hourly pay is over $18.00/hr now and the work is no where as difficult as delivering soda is. Good Luck.
Ganis :smilie_132:

Thanks for your help. I kind of figured they weren't doing any hiring this time of year. I put in an application over there several weeks ago now but haven't heard anything. I do have hazmat (although I have never needed to use it) and a clean safety record. I was talking to a Roadway driver today and he said there isn't much freight moving right now. In the mean time I am still pushing beverages and waiting to see what else comes along. I can take my time...