"Muler" Has Had Enough!

Discussion in 'ABF Freight System' started by Freightmaster1, Feb 6, 2018.

1. SAC75

SAC75 Well-Known Member

I’ve looked threw my book about 15 times now. Where do you find the percentage of bids at? I’m sure I’m skipping over it. Our barn has 4 people and three bids but it’s been that way for a long time.

2. Trucker 206

Trucker 206 Well-Known Member

Speaking of the cubes...and I’d like as many guys as possible to ring in on this question: Does EVERY driver in your terminal, no matter how many doors it has, deliver and pickup the Relo cubes? Or is it just a few guys that handle that work?

3. Boilerpeddle

Boilerpeddle Drawing found in trailer

At our barn its really just a few guys who do it but they CANNOT force a senior guy on it if there is a junior man available to bump it to. Being qualified or not is no excuse. They can be trained.

4. Trucker 206

Thanks, boiler. That’s good information. Our TM is in a tizzy because not everyone in our barn does that work. Are you saying that a senior guy, whether he’s trained or not, can bump that work to a junior guy who IS qualified? That has happened at our terminal on occasion and now the TM wants to have EVERYBODY trained on that work. I think it’s garbage. Does the rule of seniority come into play here?

5. Kennesaw Kid

Kennesaw Kid Super Moderator Staff Member

In the NMFA, Southern Road Supplement, your bids are based on 75% of the run count. Go to Article 42, Section 4. The bid Formula is the Total number of runs X .75 = and divide that number by 26 (weeks) and divide that number by 3 for Lay downs or divide by 6 for turns.
    ABF Drivers voted to change the formula by using .60 (?) instead of .75.............KK

troubleman84, Homesick and SAC75 like this.
  6. Boilerpeddle

Yes total seniority. The senior guy can bump it to a junior man no matter if the junior man is trained or not..... Well you know hours available and so forth... In my opinion that's the way it should be. They have had ample opportunity to train everyone. A senior man shouldn't have to be forced to do a job just because management couldn't be bothered to make sure people are trained. Now we have seen where the senior man had to train the junior man before he left on the run.
    In reality management knows who likes to run the princeton and will put it out when they have a guy starting who will take it or is qualified and will be on the bottom to get forced on it. It just takes a little thought and planning. Wait .......did I really say that? lol

the5tolls likes this.
  7. SAC75

SAC75 Well-Known Member

That explains why I can’t find it. Thanks.

Kennesaw Kid likes this.
  8. canaryinthemine

canaryinthemine Retirement....The Job I Was Born To Have!

Actually,......the work is not “segregated” anywhere in the contract. So........technically, everyone should be able to do it.

But,.......in reality,......we all know there are some guys who do it well,.........and some guys who regard doing Relo-Cubes as the same as having their liver wrenched out,......without anesthesia.....

And,........they treat a Relo-Cube assignment as a personal affront. If they have seniority to swing,.......then they try to make it a “ harassment “ problem,......and thereby a Union problem.

TurnCoat likes this.
  9. TurnCoat

TurnCoat I'd rather be golfing, fishing, hunting, etc.

"Cubing" as we refer to it, is a "driving assignment." At our place with start times being the same, our dispatchers offer the assignments by seniority, however, if you are the only driver available when the "Cubing" assignment is dispatched for "whatever" reason, you are expected to take the assignment. When I applied for a job at ABF, I expected to have to work, and I knew there was flatbed work. Some of you cry babies crack me up. :crybaby::lmao:

10. canaryinthemine

Well,......don't forget, Brother,....that some guys are a little leery of loading flatbeds. I don't know if you've done it or not,....but I remember the first time I loaded coils in a steel mill. 2- 20,000 pounders ,.....loaded "suicide", no less. I had experienced hands to help me,....but once I left the mill, I was sweating bullets.

Especially after the "helpful" guys filled my head with every conceivable scenario.....

I "trained" a few guys on 'Cubes.....And there were a few that never loaded a flat,....even after 20 or so years of driving.....

I'm sure you'll agree that "driving is....driving." Every kind of equipment configuration is.....truck driving. And,.......as Teamsters, and supposedly at the top of the "competency" heap,.......we should be able to handle anything....( and handle it well...).....that ABF can put on the road as legal equipment.

ABF takes that position,........and they feel that their hiring "process" screens only the best. The truth of the matter, though,...is in the last couple of years, ABF has....umm....."lowered"...their standards,...just to fill seats. (Everyone has, actually....).

ABF,...and most other carriers have relied on other carriers closings and bankruptcies to provide them with a steady and constant stream of highly-trained, experienced drivers. Those drivers are now retiring instead of moving on to another carrier...(like me)....and ,....all of a sudden, carriers realize that their short-sightedness in not spending money on training and apprentice programs,.....like EVERY OTHER industry,.........is blowing up in their face.......

So,.....Yeah,.....you'll get guys who are afraid of flatbed loading........

And,.....you'll get guys who will SAY they are afraid of flatbed loading,......and U-Pack spots,.....and food warehouses,.......and liftgates,......and home deliveries,.....

You've been around for a while,.......you know what I'm saying....

TurnCoat likes this.
  11. TurnCoat

We show a first timer how to chain down the lift and strap the cubes, when he gets back he's considered...."experienced"

canaryinthemine likes this.
  12. 6PakAbs

6PakAbs Active Member

one time, and he is experienced? Oh well, the standards are lowered (as Canary has pointed out)

TurnCoat and canaryinthemine like this.
  13. TurnCoat

Virginity is lost rather quickly at our terminal....just sayn. I did see that the Union has asked for $2/hr premium pay for Cubing and UE. I assume if you did a Cubing assignment in your shift you would get the premium for the full day. We seldom have a full day Cubing, usually a "head out" or "tail out" for us. Sometimes we have a days work just on cubes.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  14. Trucker 206

Our terminal is pretty steady on cubes. April-October is the busiest time. $2/hour premium for cubing??? Hmmmm...hadn’t heard that.

15. TurnCoat

Union is asking for it. Up UE from $1 to $2 premium and Relocube work, but hopefully at least they will get a $1 premium for cubes. Exercise equipment deliveries should have a $50 bonus and 3 free chiropractor visits!

16. TurnCoat

http://www.abfteamstersunited.org/ Look around this informative website and find the link for Union proposals to ABF and download the PDF. The proposed change is on page 3 of 49 at the bottom of the page included in with the UE premium language.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  17. Boilerpeddle

No offense to anyone but how many times should it take? Its not like its a very complicated load. The cubes and lift have specific tie-down points. Of course if they send them out with odd freight then all bets are off. Getting used to the Princeton will take the longest. But it really takes doing it yourself to bcome proficient. Took me several months to get used to intentionally backing off the end of that trailer. Spent 25 years NOT backing off of ledges, hard to turn that around. Now using the smaller flatbed that you load a regular dock forkllift onto. That is a challenge. Mostly not getting stuck. Try spotting a cube when there is no pavement within 10 miles.

18. canaryinthemine

I think it's more...."mindset"....than anything. Mechanically,......anyone in the trucking industry should be able to determine how to load the flatbed safely. I'd say that......90%....of us have come from various backgrounds that would enable us to use prior experience. Me,......I had both carhauling and flatbed experience,.....Both helped. Our terminal had the two-Cube beavertail trailer.

Logistically,......Yes,...all bets are off. Each delivery is an adventure,....and a logistic problem to be solved,......with the right mindset. I've figured out how to deliver 'Cubes down a mile of gravel road,...........off a busy four-lane highway,........up a steep hill......There are no manuals,...or training,.....that can cover this. How can you make this delivery....SAFELY.....and within a cost-efficient time?

Personally,...I enjoyed the challenge. But,.....there are guys who see it more as a personal affront,....( or a personal attack on their well-being...)....to be asked to deliver 'Cubes. There is .....NO amount of training that will overcome those mindsets......

Our 'Cube trailer was removed from our terminal a year before I retired. The reason given was that there was not enough 'Cube business in our area.......despite five colleges, tech schools and universities,...and our four county W.Pa. coverage out of our terminal.

The real reason.....in my opinion,......was that there wasn't enough guys with the right.....mindset. Certain guys would take 'Cubes out, and it would be an all-day disaster. Some guys would tell dispatch that it would be an all-day disaster....BEFORE they left the terminal.....Prophetic......

Oh, well.........Bottom guy laid off,.....and who knows how or where or with whom they are subcontracting out the 'Cube business to in this area.

NEVER,......give business or work away. You'll NEVER get it back....."Union 101"

19. vongrimmenstein

vongrimmenstein Well-Known Member

Strapping is easy. Chains a little harder, they tend to loosen up more than a strap will. Loading & unloading the forklift hanging off the back end is a totally different story. von.

20. canaryinthemine

Hah!.....Someday, Bro.Von,.....I’ll tell you the story about how I got barred from loading Porsches at Port Wilmington in Delaware,........because of my driving backward up my car hauling ramps up onto the trailer........and then making a sharp left hand turn..........

troubleman84 and SAC75 like this.