Must not be a driver shortage!

Discussion in 'Dayton' started by thermo, Jun 4, 2015.

1. thermo

thermo New Member

I applied at Dayton five or six years ago and never got a response .I again applied earlier this year and they finally called for an interview .Had a good interview with the TM and took the Hogan test online.I am a P&D driver for another Ltl carrier and been doing it for 20 years, driving for 30.Well qualified, all the endorsements, clean driving and safety record and clean cut.Called the terminal and they were going to call me the following week.It has been over a month now and they are avoiding me like the plague.It is sad to say it is because I am too old or have been employed by a Union company for 20 years.Wow ,feeling violated.

2. Hoodock

Hoodock Well-Known Member

If that's truly the way you feel.Why would you want to work there?

Getoverit likes this.
  3. thermo

thermo New Member

I Don't want to anymore,but it is true.Just thought I should bring to light the tendencies of some of these companies. There is another one that wont give the time of day also..Its blatant discrimination. Should be judged on personal character,not age or an affiliation . Just as the laws state.

blindspot90 and Hoodock like this.
  4. Hoodock

Agreed!!

5. bull dog

bull dog Member

If you didn't pass the hogans test they won't call you back.

6. Hoodock

hogans test?

7. Moneyman01

Moneyman01 Proud to be a dad!

How hard is it to not pass the hogan test? I never understood why they need to do those

8. thermo

thermo New Member

It is an online assessment test.I consider myself intelligent enough to answer all of the questions they asked in the correct way.They use that test as a way they can cover up their discriminating hiring practices.

9. Snark Monkey

Snark Monkey Well-Known Member

The Hogan test is a psychology test to see how honest you are or if you have a quick temper. unfortunately for you, you didn't know the correct answers to pass the test. If you have a learning disability, it will also trip you up. They don't want no damaged goods working for them. Just good little followers. No Leaders, Earth Shakers, or anybody that would upset the apple cart. Trust me, you dodged the bullet.

10. Birdman07

Birdman07 Keep turnin

I highly doubt it was the hogan test that was the reason you didn't get called back. It's true dayton doesn't want lazy or bad apple employees. How it is at my terminal depends a lot on the drivers that already work at dayton. Our TM will check with tbe drivers that know the driver who is putting in the app, if his driver says he's a bad employee the TM won't even open up the app again. He trusts his drivers and they have a lot to do with it. That also could be a bad thing. Someone could say bad things about you even though your not a bad employee but if they have a beef with you for whatever reason they will make sure you don't get hired

11. bull dog

bull dog Member

I had a friend that applied. He took the hogans test and didn't get a call back so I asked my tm at the time what was up and he said that he'd failed the test an that the computer kicked him out of the process. He said to wait 6 months and reapply. He found another job on the meantime and never reapplied.

Birdman07 likes this.
  12. Birdman07

Birdman07 Keep turnin

Oh I didn't know it did that. So ya it's possible that maybe it was the hogan test then

13. bull dog

bull dog Member

I'm not saying that's what it was. I'm just stating what happened with my experience.

14. thermo

thermo New Member

I dId not fail the Hogan test.I am intelligent enough to answer the questions properly,I am not Lazy.I am a hard worker and can peddle freight and pick up freight with the best of them.I have a 14 year safety award from previous company and a clean work file.Bottom line is I am too old (early 50's) and have been in the union for 24 years and for those two reasons they didn't hire me.They use the Hogan test as a way to discriminate against people that don't fit the profile.

15. Snark Monkey

Snark Monkey Well-Known Member

Sweet, but that's not how it works.

16. vongrimmenstein

vongrimmenstein Well-Known Member

I think you hit it dead on. They don't want prior union workers for many reasons. Wall-Mart the same way. Previous rank & file union driver, they will never hire you. The other side of the coin is your age. I might be wrong but our LTL work force union or not, does suffer more work-comp injuries than someone in their late 20's or early 30's. As for the the test, I have no idea. But the prospect of a older dock/driver getting hurt driving up their medical costs & a former union employee talking about how we used to do it @ a company under a CBA is not something the supervisors want to have to deal with. I could be completely wrong, but I could be pretty close as to why they won't hire you. I have been @ ABF on the city board for 17 years. I worked @ your new city terminal on Northfield Drive, a really nice piece of property. Who ever works out there will like it. von.

17. Banker

Banker Active Member

18. bmxdad36

bmxdad36 New Member

Banker and Von you both have it wrong, We have quite a few past union drivers at my terminal and many others that I know of. As for the age thing yes we do hire some P&D drivers younger but most of them come in through the dock to driver program Dayton has, as for hiring drivers off the street most of them are well into there 40's and early 50's. Good luck with the quest and if you do succeed in getting on you will see the wait was well worth it..

19. Banker

Banker Active Member

After looking at my post it does appear I said the entire paragraph, however somehow my comment and Von's got bundled together. I said he "may" be correct about Dayton, since I did not know about Dayton, but "that he was wrong about Walmart." Thank you for informing us that Dayton has an open mind when looking for qualified drivers. The reason for my post was to assure union drivers who were contemplating working for Walmart, that they shouldn't be discouraged to apply just because of Von saying Walmart doesn't hire current or former union drivers. Some companies won't hire former union drivers. Walmart is not one of them and now we know that Dayton isn't either. Thanks for the reply! I will try to edit Quoted comments from what I said.

20. Lazer

Lazer lied to again

I worked for Dayton for just shy of 14 years, I worked with plenty of former union drivers.