Must not be a driver shortage!

Discussion in 'Dayton' started by thermo, Jun 4, 2015.

1. vongrimmenstein

vongrimmenstein Well-Known Member

My comments on wall mart hiring union drivers info is about 20 years old. Times do change. Got a good record most anyone will hire an ex-union driver, to many shinny new tractors in the yard with no one to sit in the left seat. All about supply & demand.

2. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

We are getting off-topic starting to talk about Walmart. I think it has been well-established that Dayton hires former union drivers. I know there are former Teamsters freight guys as well as former union car haulers working for Dayton.

They also hire older guys. Drivers with decades of experience and knowledge of their city are typically better suited to the demands of LTL P&D work, and Dayton recognizes this. The vast majority of the drivers here are in their 40s, 50s, and 60s. They just want solid, reliable drivers with good attitiudes and work histories. They spend a lot on training, so they want to make sure that a driver will stick around and not jump ship because of some "greener grass" at some other company.

I would encourage anyone who isn't hired to not make assumptions about why or take it personally. Just because they didn't hire you doesn't mean they hired someone else due to discrimination. As was stated in an earlier post, they don't over-hire. They want to be able to keep everyone working and not rely on casuals to handle freight fluctuations like some LTL companies do.

One side note regarding P&D: many of us drivers have gotten used to working 12-14 hour days and really chasing money over the years. If you are looking to make $80k in the city, look somewhere else (I hear Conway city guys talking about that kind of dough!). Dayton does pay overtime, but they try to be smart about it. Don't expect to work 50+ hours per week. You won't get rich, but there is actually some time to enjoy your life.

Enforcer75 likes this.