Yellow | My 2 cents worth (minus 15%) on why this should be voted down:

I've already read it. Regardless of how long the inevitable was postponed, bottom line concessions at ABF. The Teamsters at YRCW have already decided how they're going to vote. I've said I'm voting no because EVERYONE'S pension needs a larger contribution. And now this BS about non-CDL Teamsters, only re-enforced my position. NO! You and your opinions won't change any more minds here than they did at ABF.

I read, with interest, the linked article and I can see the point your trying to make regarding Hostess and it's relevancy to the YRCF situation....However the first sentence, "The jobs of most of the workers who used to make Twinkies and other Hostess cakes, and their union, are not coming back".
That says a lot right there...

The article further states that management misused the gains from the concessions....but how do we really know with any certainty about the inner workings of Hostess....or for that matter, YRCF? Considering how Management is anti-Union in general, it is not outside the realm of that possibility....
IF that is the case with YRCF it is outside of our ability to do anything about that anyway.....Risking the loss of jobs, especially during this time of economic and employment weakness, will not right that wrong......and those at the top of the Corporate hierarchy are not going to suffer at all...not even a tiny bit.....It's always the workers that take the brunt of it......I know that some say how debt free and wise they have been and how this will not affect them.....or they have a working spouse that will lessen the impact......Yes that's all well and good but they are not thinking of how it might impact others that have a greater reliance on this Companys survival.....for example, they may have dependents that need healthcare. What is another aspect in the role of a Union Brotherhood?.... isn't that looking out for every ones best interests, along with the the best interest of the Union? Notice that first line I quoted from the article that you linked to....... It said the "workers and their Union " are not coming back....... The Twinkies are back...but not the Union or their workers.....If YRCF were to close....it would be the same....yes the freight would still need to be moved...but it won't be by the Union and their drivers.....

If the Union employees pass these concessions....and the Company still goes bankrupt at a later date....it would be hard for management to say it's the Unions fault, like they will, if it's voted down and they close......To those that say shutting it down somehow equates to having dignity or going out with your head held high...is a bunch of dramatic Bravado...nothing more......to go out after doing everything reasonably possible....and without the Union to be the scapegoat is a preferred way... that would do more to reflect the blame to who is really responsible.....

You could say that....but actually those things you cited, with the exception of morale, would actually save the Company money.....that is what the concessions are about...savings....Freight discounting has been going on for years....all the Carriers engage in that practice... Give a deep discount to try and get the business and then try and raise the rate later to make some money...... Personally, my thought would be if none of the Carriers did that..rates would be more stable....but that is just my opinion....

Low morale is a problem for any Company...but it is especially troubling at a time like this.....I know it's a problem and it's a problem that is not solved easily overnight...

However, each of us as individuals, can do something about it....Besides morale....we have a Motivation problem.....the two are closely related concepts..
While motivation is an individual concept, morale is a group concept. Thus, through motivation ,the individual, with our inherent differences, can have an impact among the rest of the employees as a group, thus the morale of the employees can be increased. So by taking that into consideration it is easier to see how each of us can influence the larger group. If each of us takes a more positive attitude.....that over time can have an impact on the Group....think about it...would you rather spend your work time with complaining, whining co-workers or be around people with a pleasant or happy demeanor?.....Morale, good or bad, largely depends on each of us and how we respond to our situation as well as those around us....If you don't like the morale.... you can do something about it.....set the example yourself......

It is as I have stated in previous posts.. Look around at what other similar jobs are paying in wages and benefits....time off.....vacation ect. Compare that to what your current job pays and factor in your seniority...is it such that you can bid for runs or time slots that you like.... If the "average" driving job start to look better......then I would say it's time to move on......but as long as that's not true...it makes more sense to stay the course......
It is impossible to say what two years hence will look like......as far a vote, if that were to be the case....I'd have to say that it would entirely depend on the situation and the circumstances at that time.....

I hope that answered the question to your satisfaction...

Now I ask you, How low of a wage and how much are you willing to pay for Benefits along with having to start at the bottom someplace else and the lack of seniority and the "perks" that go with it?

We can't allow the issues of management bonuses and what they do, or don't do, dictate how we vote..... We can not stop what they are doing or may do in the future.....other than shutting down the Company....but as I said before...who is going to suffer the most.....or shall I say who will be the only ones that will suffer? It will be the workers....not them.....why would anyone want to risk their Jobs....the jobs of their fellow Teamster brothers and sisters....and those that will come behind....just because we don't approve of management and their bonuses , or whatever the "beef" is...Everyone likes to complain about the Union...well think about how less strong the Union is without the Hostess members....think about how less strong it will be for our ABF or UPS brothers and sisters if we allow this Company to fail? ... It's as I said before....the whole issue goes beyond just us as individuals.....The ramifications are far reaching, irreversible and final......Don't allow short sighted overemotional thinking cloud your best judgment.....

Thank you Mr hanalad for engaging in an adult level discussion without the mention of "panties" underwear drawers" and "Balls" !

Well spoken post. Spoken from the view of someone scratching for the last couple years before retirement. Spoken from the view of someone at the top of the list and doesn't want to risk his gravy for those last couple of years. From the view of someone who won't see the end of this "contract". But well spoken.

NO

I look at it this way.Freight in general through the last quarter was pretty good.As a spokesman said from YRC.We had a change of operations the freight lanes were out of cycle.Vacations and too few drivers and workers out of place.All that and few more things pushed the OR higher.Usually the OR will go up after a change of operations.Of all these elements this is not our fault or problem individually as members and employees. We just go and do as ordered.YRCW debt issue.Again not our problem individually as employees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Just glad im not the company and having that debt issue.Because we are a worldwide company and that YRCW has roughly over 2.1 billion in assets just here in the states.Not to mention the assets in the overseas operations.This makes it virtually diffilcult for this company to file any sort of bankruptcy in any court in America.Twice this has happened and twice yrcw was thrown out.Plus a corporation has to have a ton of money just enter the bankruptcy court.Lots of money.im totally for YRC and all its subsidiaries to make it in the near future.optimism is fair.We all are doing a decent job in performance as employees.A no vote will not close the doors sooner.This company has potential to operate better without putting carrots out in front of us.With the pay cuts already in place.We can work with this.The company is going to have to sharpen up even more from the leadership standpoint and in management and in sales.good luck and God Bless.dont sell your talent short

Well spoken post. Spoken from the view of someone scratching for the last couple years before retirement. Spoken from the view of someone at the top of the list and doesn't want to risk his gravy for those last couple of years. From the view of someone who won't see the end of this "contract". But well spoken.

NO
It's a good thing you're not a profiler. NOT ONE of your observations or opinions are correct about pilot87 except "well spoken".

I look at it this way.Freight in general through the last quarter was pretty good.As a spokesman said from YRC.We had a change of operations the freight lanes were out of cycle.Vacations and too few drivers and workers out of place.All that and few more things pushed the OR higher.Usually the OR will go up after a change of operations.Of all these elements this is not our fault or problem individually as members and employees. We just go and do as ordered.YRCW debt issue.Again not our problem individually as employees.

Teamsters as a group are 25% owners of the business, isn't it the shareholders problem? The books are open, our reps on the board have been quiet, but support the process. No one has ever brought forth any disputed facts about the finances. IF company was saying lies and holding back money and assets like everyone claims, why didn't the board members cry fowl, and bring up the issue?

Because legally the company does not have to show earnings from overseas operations.That is why you dont hear any screaming from board members and such.Less for us and alot to gain for the upper part of the corporation.Bonuses and high dollar salaries.I dont blame anyone getting that type of salary if one can.It isnt in the corporation to care about you or your family.It seems all corporations are yelling bankruptcy here in the US.

Teamsters as a group are 25% owners of the business, isn't it the shareholders problem? The books are open, our reps on the board have been quiet, but support the process. No one has ever brought forth any disputed facts about the finances. IF company was saying lies and holding back money and assets like everyone claims, why didn't the board members cry fowl, and bring up the issue?

Now you're just expressing common sense and reason! You know we have no tolerance for sincere and thoughtful opinions.
:kickedoutsmile::hysterical:

C'mon is that the best you can do???? ... If it is...I'd say that your the idiot.....

I know you must be feeling intellectually inadequate, but really now...... If I were you I wouldn't be showcasing it on an open public forum such as this....

Curious..... aren't you even the slightest bit embarrassed???

Your batting a 1000!!!!

Just glad im not the company and having that debt issue.Because we are a worldwide company and that YRCW has roughly over 2.1 billion in assets just here in the states.Not to mention the assets in the overseas operations.This makes it virtually diffilcult for this company to file any sort of bankruptcy in any court in America.Twice this has happened and twice yrcw was thrown out.Plus a corporation has to have a ton of money just enter the bankruptcy court.Lots of money.im totally for YRC and all its subsidiaries to make it in the near future.optimism is fair.We all are doing a decent job in performance as employees.A no vote will not close the doors sooner.This company has potential to operate better without putting carrots out in front of us.With the pay cuts already in place.We can work with this.The company is going to have to sharpen up even more from the leadership standpoint and in management and in sales.good luck and God Bless.dont sell your talent short

Because we are a worldwide company and that YRCW has roughly over 2.1 billion in assets just here in the states.Not to mention the assets in the overseas operations.This makes it virtually diffilcult for this company to file any sort of bankruptcy in any court in America.Twice this has happened and twice yrcw was thrown out

When did YRCW file for bankruptcy protection? And how does having assets make it difficult to file for Bankruptcy?

We all are doing a decent job in performance as employees.A no vote will not close the doors sooner.

I agree.....by and large I think most YRCF employees are doing a good job........however, with that being said.....Why do you feel a "no" vote will not close the doors sooner as opposed to later......The "no" vote at Hostess greatly accelerated their closing......and that is assuming that their closing was inevitable at some unspecified point in time..

.This company has potential to operate better without putting carrots out in front of us.With the pay cuts already in place.We can work with this.

Yes I agree...This Company has a lot of potential ... what a shame it would be to let another Large Unionized LTL Company fall by the wayside....I guess we all will find out soon enough if it will survive or join the other Great Unionized LTL Trucking Companies that have faded into history.....and I think we can all agree on what a shame it is that so many once thriving Companies, that provided Decent middle class livelihoods, for so many Families over many years are no longer plying the Highways of America today...

The company is going to have to sharpen up even more from the leadership standpoint and in management and in sales

If it survives......I agree....Leadership and sales......very important things.......... Especially the "sales" part......Sales is the lifeblood of any Company...without sales.....the rest doesn't matter...

good luck and God Bless.dont sell your talent short

Amen Brother...

Sorry, those prior posts were a combination of working until 5:30 am, grabbing only 5 hours of sleep, then consuming a few alcoholic beverages.
Also, I have only 4 more years until retirement. I could currently survive on unemployment if I wanted to. So a no/yes vote makes not a difference to me.
I can adapt to changes, unlike some of my fellow employees who barely scrap by on 60 hours a week.
I agree partially with we have no choice in what direction the company takes. Basically, just corporate greed today.
Meanwhile, the middle class gets smaller and smaller.
I believe you can get much more work out of a "happy" employee rather then an angry, dissatisfied employee.
Hasn't the company always mentioned us as owners and part of the "team?"

Sorry, those prior posts were a combination of working until 5:30 am, grabbing only 5 hours of sleep, then consuming a few alcoholic beverages.

Not a problem... I completely understand the long hours and short sleep thing.......

I have only 4 more years until retirement. I could currently survive on unemployment if I wanted to. So a no/yes vote makes not a difference to me.
I can adapt to changes, unlike some of my fellow employees who barely scrap by on 60 hours a week.

I understand your perspective.....however, with that being said, your comment serves to make my point.....We all tend to think of how something is going to affect us individually.....that is normal and part of being a human being.....What I'm trying to do is get people to look at the larger picture than just how it affects just them individually. It seems that you see a part of what I mean...you recognize that some of your co-workers are struggling more than you are...Would it be logical to conclude that they need this job more than you? I would think so......While a "yes or "no" vote" doesn't make a difference to you....It may very well mean a great deal to some of your co-workers that want to get to the position that your in someday...or at least be given the chance to....Being concerned about ourselves is part of being Human.....the ability to be concerned for others is what Humanity is about...

Basically, just corporate greed today.
Meanwhile, the middle class gets smaller and smaller.

I agree... Corporate greed is has hurt the working class of America...The Middle class is clearly shrinking......and the Impact on the economy is just as clear....and the Closure of YRCF would not help that situation improve...it would not help the Union be stronger...and the Union is what actually made the Middle class attainable for so many working Americans......that is another part of the concept of seeing past ourselves.....

I have had a few on here try and take me to task about the issue of Corporate Greed......lol .....Maybe you'll be spared....

I believe you can get much more work out of a "happy" employee rather then an angry, dissatisfied employee.
Hasn't the company always mentioned us as owners and part of the "team?"

I don't think there is anyone that would disagree.....That is absolutely true.. You must be a former Roadway Employee, as am I, .... Roadway Express developed various "programs" with the express purpose of trying to get the employees to "Think and act as owners of the Business" E. E. F. B. Educating Employees in the Fundamentals of Business...... and I think they were on the right track.....It's to bad that Roadway does not exist today.....Roadway also had other opportunities for Employees ...... Roadway and Yellow, each had Employees that felt some sort of loyalty to the "Brand"...That is something that developed over time.......YRCF needs to have that same chance to evolve into something better.....I think that would go a long ways to someday having "happy" employees....

Now I suppose someone will call me an "Idiot" again for my comments.....Oh well........

It's a good thing you're not a profiler. NOT ONE of your observations or opinions are correct about pilot87 except "well spoken".

create.php

We had are meeting at 326/KCM earlier this week. One of the executive officers, who's name I won't mention, spoke at the meeting. He, along with others in management, pretty much read from a prepared statement and did answer questions. It was a very heated meeting, with very strong no voters speaking up to voice their opinions. And one of the questions asked was, how could bonuses be paid in 2012 to executive officers, when YRC made no money in 2012? The answer was that goals were set by the board of directors and the banks, and the goals were meet. Goals were met?
One thing they did bring up was 100 million needed to be cut per year for the banks to roll over the 2014 balloon payments. Not saying I like it, but even if the entire executive board worked for free, that wouldn't come close to 100 million. So I guess the question is does anybody believe a word they say? And does it really change anything? Will they file for bankruptcy if this is turned down? Even with this extension are we just "kicking the can" down the road? Will management ever realize what their real problems are? And is there really a plan B?
I still don't know for sure how I will vote. I'm sure if I need to find a job, I'll find one. But I think there are still many, many YRC teamsters that will never work again for even half of the current wage and benefits we are receiving. And where else can you go where work is optional.
Just my opinion. Ok, now you can open fire on me.