ODFL | My Benefits Package

sparky said:
Of course no one works here just because we like the uniforms. That image is for the customer. There are benefits in wearing a uniform but that belongs on another thread. As far as the insurance being crap it is not. It is just not the best. Probably somewhere in the middle. It is a PPO where you can pick your own doctor and I have not found a doctor that does not accept it. At least it is not a HMO. Insurance has became a difficult situation for many people in this country I understand that a large percentage of people are not insured at all. Many companies are making a case of this just look at are automakers that claim that the cost of insurance has made them less competitive. I am ready to bet that just because OD has more expensive insurance than some other carriers that one way or another when you work somewhere else in any company similar to OD that you pay the price. This is not a problem that is confined to OD employees only this is a universal problem and you are paying for the high price of medical needs one way or another.
sparkey not putting o.d. down but how do thank the make money meaning the company record profits witch is good .the can do it because the give very little money an benefits back to the back bone of the the company drivers an dock workers i would rather drive a 5 year old truck that is safe an clean up an down the road making .053 a mile then a brand new tractor at 0.43 that is just me. if i got to work i may as well try to get top dollar an benifits for my family an me.like i said i have nothing bad to say about o.d. i was there for 10 years.when i frist came there in 1993 ceo dave an his dad use to tell us workers to hang in there with them that the want us to the highest paid non-union drivers give them 3 or 4 years as they grow they could not keep drivers or dock workers back then the were going to con-way an american fright back then because the would not pay what those companys paid the were not even closes.an there is still a big gap in pay an benefits. i had fun at od when i was there.

As far as record profits go many LTL cos are making record profits. That is why there is a run up of LTL stock prices. ODs record profits though impressive are still in there youth. Not to long ago they were still a small, impressive, likable LTL carrier with revenue of 500 million that had practically gone out of business in the early 90s. That is when they through the help of a new CEO came up with a new business plan. This included acquiring the assets of small LTL cos to expand into other regions and to build in other regions they were already in. Though this worked well the success of this part of there business plan has just recently shown large success. There have been such articles as OD is the king of the pocket merger. This plan is still in the process. OD is one of the senior LTL COs was founded over 85 years ago. They have just recently been noticed as a force to deal with by the larger LTL cos. Give them more time and they could be in the top 5.

sparky said:
Of course no one works here just because we like the uniforms. That image is for the customer. There are benefits in wearing a uniform but that belongs on another thread. As far as the insurance being crap it is not. It is just not the best. Probably somewhere in the middle. It is a PPO where you can pick your own doctor and I have not found a doctor that does not accept it. At least it is not a HMO. Insurance has became a difficult situation for many people in this country I understand that a large percentage of people are not insured at all. Many companies are making a case of this just look at are automakers that claim that the cost of insurance has made them less competitive. I am ready to bet that just because OD has more expensive insurance than some other carriers that one way or another when you work somewhere else in any company similar to OD that you pay the price. This is not a problem that is confined to OD employees only this is a universal problem and you are paying for the high price of medical needs one way or another.

Actually I've had many doctors that weren't on the insurance plan and I had to change pharmacies because of it. The largest and best hospital in my area is not on the insurance so we cannot go there.

The way to offset the pay and benefits with OD is to buy the stock. Since they are making record profits and building equity with their business practices they are pleasing their shareholders. The increase in stock prices helps offset the lower wages and cost of benefits which are ways they make their record profits and increase stock prices. It's like betting on both horses in a 2 horse race.

shookeys said:
I see your point of view also, but it seems to me they treat their employees not so good, and if you are gonna keep your drivers at 42 hours a week and expect them to pay 75 bucks per week out of their check for benefits, well I think it sucks. To have crap insurance and high premiums is a need to have an extra tube of vaseline handy. That's all I am saying. They are worried about changing their image by having their workers wear company uniforms-please....they need more than uniforms to change their image. Why is it that they can't retain or hire good quality professional drivers in some of their locations? I am sure offering all of these potential company drivers uniforms is whats gonna get them in the door to apply right?

hold up 42 hours a week, ha u just gotta slow down a lil, at the end of the day take a nice long lunch before u head back to the terminal .

Education

Beeman said:
Actually I've had many doctors that weren't on the insurance plan and I had to change pharmacies because of it. The largest and best hospital in my area is not on the insurance so we cannot go there.

The way to offset the pay and benefits with OD is to buy the stock. Since they are making record profits and building equity with their business practices they are pleasing their shareholders. The increase in stock prices helps offset the lower wages and cost of benefits which are ways they make their record profits and increase stock prices. It's like betting on both horses in a 2 horse race.
Look out Beeman,if you're not careful,you're gonna educate these boys.

I was just responding to Dollar Bills post with a smoke thread. The outsiders that post here want to make OD look like a bad place to work and I resent that because I know that no company pays you to do nothing. All of them have bad points.

Not the only one

Relax Sparky,they kinda stand out don't they.Time is on our side.O.D. is not even close to peaking out,most of the rest of them already have.

JIM BOB said:
Relax Sparky,they kinda stand out don't they.Time is on our side.O.D. is not even close to peaking out,most of the rest of them already have.
will you ever see them peak out if so tell me i spent 10 years there my uncle spent 31 years in hickory n.c. an i never said o.d. was a bad company.they are a laid back company.have you ever wonder why people are not nocking the doors down to get on at od. like con-way an fed ex the reason i think od is laid back on things. the no the dont pay what the should the want to keep people around.high paying companys in force there work rules because the no there is 50 good driver wanting that 1 driver job every day at a high paying outfit.dont get me wrong i made good money there i new i could have left an made about 10.000 grand more at con-way or fed ex but at that time od kept telling us the pay was coming an i hope it still come for you guys i still hang out with my friends that still work there.because i am not there dont mean i dont the best for my friends an there familys.:smilie_132:

i look at it like this i dont know bout u guys but i came from nuthin and i got a job a walmart makin 7 dollars an hour and i worked hard to get to a supervisor possition makin 10 bucks an hour and didint wanna become a manager because it was crap work for only 30 grand a year and decided to get some qualification so i could make good money just enough to not be living with my mother. I got my cdl and now im with od 1 im off weekends 2 im makin 18.50 hr 3 the insurance is better 4 i dont work nights 5 this job is way easyers then wally world. yeah im sure i could have gotten with another out fit that is so called better which i tryed but i got theft on my record and this company is a good start for me and i feel blessed to work for this company because they have a bigger name then some of these crap outfits nobody heard of.

Shookeys,Skidmark.......I can't beleive you guys feel that way about OD and the way they do things,but I understand that everyone has a complaint about something and I don't care who you work for but here if "in my opinin" were to take all of the good things about this co and compare them to the bad things "your opinion" It's my belief the good will outweigh the bad in every aspect.Yes I too have a few things that I don't like here but I have learned that Trucking and life are very similar and there are some things we cannot control.Just like where you have gone to Skidmark, I'm pretty dog on sure there are somethings that you do not care for but you do it anyway right?Well just like me here!Some outfits are made for you and some are made for others.

I was with od in socal for 4 years thinking it would get better .... boy was I wrong , big turnover . The benes are not top rate in the west.

And everyone has a choice...

Man...and I was contemplating leaving Con-Way for OD!!
Things are difficult at Con-Way. I'm in linehaul. The work is hard and the hours are way too long. I average 70 hours a week (which I log as 60!) My drive to and from home is an hour. So that's 80 hours a week in a Con-Way uniform from the moment I leave the house to the moment I arrive home. I get 8 hours to sleep, eat, mow the lawn, play with the little one, watch TV, hold the wife, etc.

And then there's the re-branding taking place with new colors and uniforms coming out in March of 2007. We're no longer CCX, CSE and CWX but it is all known as Con-Way Freight now...uncertainty in my book, in regards to public perception. We'll have to wait and see.

However, in lieu of the equipment and treatment (as we drive crappy Sterlings with the cruise controls and fuel gauges removed), we only pay 1% of our weekly gross for complete health insurance for the whole family! Medical, dental and vision! Before I was hired (2 and 1/2 yrs ago), it was free!! Con-Way paid the whole thing. Now that, in-and-of-itself is a huge pay raise. You get to keep 4 entire paychecks as opposed to giving 1 back for health coverage per month. At top-scale, Con-Way pays $22/hr and .54 cpm too.

Couple that with the ICP (Incentive Compensation Plan) check we earn through achieving goals set forth by the company annually... I stand to receive a projected check for $2557 this December (if we attain those goals, otherwise its pro-rated off of 100%).

Having worked at American Freightways and FedEx Freight (and Vitran Express for that matter), I've come to realize that having the best equipment and best looking uniforms (because at Con-Way, they both suck!), instead of the health insurance, wages and retirement pension is not something I'm willing to trade for anymore.

But the bottom line is, you have to be happy or at the very least understand the there is a lot worse situations out there...and mark my words...this will be the last trucking job I ever do! Because it's slowly killing me!!!

Well I thought you should know that there are several exconway people over here now.But if your happier there then I would prefer you to stay.I must say that this is the only trucking I know unlike many,they had to switch awhile before they found what they wre looking for.

Must be the day

This must be " Embittered former employees bash O.D. Day " Is this a yearly or monthly thing ?

Hey I don't know a about you guys but I would not want to work for Conway. I would feel like a slave. All that money and benefits is not worth it if you have no life. I have some good Friends that work there after all when I worked nights and they were running alone after slaving on the docks they would climb into there trucks with no AC, power steering or cruise and there allowed fan on the dash they would need someone that would talk them back to the junk yard. Then they would tell me all about what it was like to work there and I would think of how lucky I was to work at OD where if I had a problem with my truck or my job management would understand and figure out how to resolve the problem. No way would I ever quit OD to work for a company that is obviously ran by people that neglect there employees and push drivers like Conways management. I would rather haul chicken guts.

JIM BOB said:
For the O.D. employee with dependents insurance costs are going to be important.I look for a good raise but if insurance goes up that will put you right back where you started .Our insurance has not gone up much for a while,so we're due for it.

I hope everyone that looks at this post realizes we are not only far underpaid in comparison to our ( competitors ) our insurance is not even comparible. I encourage all of you to talk to other drivers you know with our so called competitors and ask them what they pay in comparison and what they get. everone needs to realize OD is in the same ballpark as the big boys in the industry but the OD employees were not even let in to the parking lot. Need I remind anyone OD is a billion dollar company now. OD makes more mony than SAIA but they pay more in wages and less for better insurance. so when someone tells you OD doesn't have FEF's money you can say yeah but OD has more money than SAIA.

Benefits , pay are less

Benefits and pay are less at O.D.than union trucking companys.This is not news,why do you think we don't know that ?If you want to change jobs,go for it.Our 401 has done very well and the stock will probably split again this year.That will be the 4th time.If you would be happier somewhere else,go. O.K. Dollar Bill,I waiting for some of your dribble.

yeah I cant figure dollar bill out, some days he likes OD some days he doesnt. I think he just likes to stir things up.