Estes | my experience, so far....

nctruckin

TB Lurker
Credits
LOVE this job! Glad all my downs, at EPES, has finally paid off! Everybody I've met have been super friendly and very willing to help. I had to have help setting up doubles in ATL yesterday, since I was in a really old 9400(sleeper) loaner for the week and that hill is really dark....only thing I needed help with was that stupid dolly, I can make a set in about 10 minutes, but most of that time is spend backing that dolly.....I know it's only been 2 weeks, so far, but I'll get it....and since I got my truck back, having a window to look out at dolly will greatly help. And not to mention how long doubles are with a sleeper...that was very different. And Orlando(I was there the night The Voice chick was murdered) yard is REALLY TIGHT with a sleeper too! haha I know when I first started driving(coming up to 5 years), I enjoyed the freedom of being left alone.....but now when I get to where I need to be, I wait, maybe an hour or so, and that's just for paperwork. No more, going into the sleeper, and hurry up and wait, for no pay! Even though I was started at a few cents more than people out of our school(was told because I have 4+ years experience), I can't believe how much my checks are, compared with what I was making. But, I got my satellite radio, and my iPod...that's all I need....oh and a good cup of joe to get me going! haha But, crazy question.....When I got my EZPass I signed a form for it.....Bill Turner in dispatch told me to take it home with me or else it'll 'get gone quick'...why is that? I always thought those things were issued to only 1 truck.....that's how it was at EPES.....if it was stolen dispatch would have it shut off immdiately and issue you a new one.

Right. The EZ Pass is assigned to you. Take it with you in case your truck is gone when you come in off your break.

Glad you dig it here. It's the best trucking job I've ever had. Wish I'd started years ago.

Glad that you are doing good here. It takes time to get used to doing things in a new job. But if you will do what is asked of you then you will do just fine. Extraboard is usually pretty laid back. I hope that you continue to have good luck and don't forget to just ask if you have questions about anything. And the main thing with the pup's just find a routine that works for you and take your time to double check that everything is hooked properly. Good luck.

Ask Bill if he can get you a Florida Sunpass.You will certainly need it running extra.
I talked to that cute little brunette JoAnna in the front office and she's getting my SunPass and checking on my Corp Lodging card! I have NO PROBLEM asking for help....now that trainer I had wasn't really honest with me....and did his paperlogs COMPLETELY wrong! You DO NOT SIGN your logs until AFTER they are completely filled out....he wanted me to SIGN BEFORE I filled them out! MAJOR log violation!

You can still run the Florida turnpike without sun pass. They'll mail Estes the bill. That's what I did. Amazing how fast they got it to me when they got the bill. Lol. I take PrePass and EZ Pass out of truck at the hotel. If you think Orlando is tight wait till you go to Brooklyn or even Oklahoma City on the weekend.

You can still run the Florida turnpike without sun pass. They'll mail Estes the bill. That's what I did. Amazing how fast they got it to me when they got the bill. Lol. I take PrePass and EZ Pass out of truck at the hotel. If you think Orlando is tight wait till you go to Brooklyn or even Oklahoma City on the weekend.

Owensboro KY. Don't go to the other side of the yard unless you want to break your set down.

Lol. I mean there's no room to turn around. I've seen guys hook their set on one side of the yard and then try to leave on other side, realize there's no gate and no way to turn around. Break it down and do it again.

That yard is tight.

was in Brooklyn this past weekend....actually North Bergen....it wasn't all THAT bad...considering I'm back in my truck as opposed to that old sleeper truck....now that security guard was something else! LMAO Got my Sunpass so that is set....only thing that's getting me is STILL having to run 2 logs! Paper AND Electronic! Getting tired of paper....it's been a whole month now....starting to annoy me!

was in Brooklyn this past weekend....actually North Bergen....it wasn't all THAT bad...considering I'm back in my truck as opposed to that old sleeper truck....now that security guard was something else! LMAO Got my Sunpass so that is set....only thing that's getting me is STILL having to run 2 logs! Paper AND Electronic! Getting tired of paper....it's been a whole month now....starting to annoy me!
If you are not having problems with your logs than I am not sure why they haven't turned you loose on the peoplenet system. And also you will find that some of terminal names are not always in the city they are named after,if ever in doubt and you have a smart phone you can type in Estes and the terminal name and it should show you the name of the address and the actual city that it is in. I am glad that everything is going well so far here. Be careful out there on the road.

Well...I'm a really HYPER GUY! haha Got my CLC and I'm thinking I was using 'terminal names' instead of actual CITY names.....started thinking about that last week in York/Harrisburg. There's that printout saying PUT YORK, NOT HARRISBURG ON YOUR PAPERLOGS! So, been doing that....should be last week on paper, then. All and all I'm just HAPPY here.....only 40, but DEF looking to retire here! I actually made a $1500 gross check this week and $hit...I didn't even break a sweat last week running! Made friends with Jeremy at York/Harrisburg yard....turns out we're both into music....metal too! haha So we talk bands for a few, that's pretty cool! One question I don't get.....I got a 'time card' with my CLC...is that incase I go combo/p and d? That was odd. I LOVE the road, more so now as I'm actually AWAY/OUT OF TRUCK for around 11-12 hours, but I'm sure within 10-15 years I might hang up my otr and just switch to local....HERE AND HERE ONLY! This is what I've been working so hard towards getting, that getting where I'm at is a dream come true! Don't put me off as a 'cheerleader' I'm just really thrilled at what I FINALLY should have done about 2 years ago and it's working out....hey a bad day here is a good day at EPES....that's ALL I have to say about that. No more parking lot losers! No more Lizards.....NO MORE older drivers telling me I'm young and don't know anything about the road...NO MORE TRUCKSTOPS, so far and I'm happy with that! I did stop at one, to get something to eat, my first week out....but, long story short....I had a REALLY BAD experience this past Dec at the TA in Duncan, SC where I ended up beating an older driver REALLY BADLY and he even ended up getting arrested.....yeah...he was drunk...but he was driving! Just want out of those peelots for a long while until I 'cool down'! haha Hope everyone is having a great week....miles are a little short...but it happens!

Well...I'm a really HYPER GUY! haha Got my CLC and I'm thinking I was using 'terminal names' instead of actual CITY names.....started thinking about that last week in York/Harrisburg. There's that printout saying PUT YORK, NOT HARRISBURG ON YOUR PAPERLOGS! So, been doing that....should be last week on paper, then. All and all I'm just HAPPY here.....only 40, but DEF looking to retire here! I actually made a $1500 gross check this week and $hit...I didn't even break a sweat last week running! Made friends with Jeremy at York/Harrisburg yard....turns out we're both into music....metal too! haha So we talk bands for a few, that's pretty cool! One question I don't get.....I got a 'time card' with my CLC...is that incase I go combo/p and d? That was odd. I LOVE the road, more so now as I'm actually AWAY/OUT OF TRUCK for around 11-12 hours, but I'm sure within 10-15 years I might hang up my otr and just switch to local....HERE AND HERE ONLY! This is what I've been working so hard towards getting, that getting where I'm at is a dream come true! Don't put me off as a 'cheerleader' I'm just really thrilled at what I FINALLY should have done about 2 years ago and it's working out....hey a bad day here is a good day at EPES....that's ALL I have to say about that. No more parking lot losers! No more Lizards.....NO MORE older drivers telling me I'm young and don't know anything about the road...NO MORE TRUCKSTOPS, so far and I'm happy with that! I did stop at one, to get something to eat, my first week out....but, long story short....I had a REALLY BAD experience this past Dec at the TA in Duncan, SC where I ended up beating an older driver REALLY BADLY and he even ended up getting arrested.....yeah...he was drunk...but he was driving! Just want out of those peelots for a long while until I 'cool down'! haha Hope everyone is having a great week....miles are a little short...but it happens!
They give everyone a time card so just in case they want you to punch in for a meeting or in case you are covering a hub run and you want to work on the dock to make a little extra. Are if you go somewhere and they ask you if you have some hours to run some switch outs or some P&D work. I have had to do that up in York before when freight is heavy, but it was any big deal just a few pick ups. But anyway that is usually why we get the card. Anyway this place doe's pay pretty good and especially if you have come from a truckload company I doubt that those will ever be paid per mile what LTL'S make which is a shame because we all are driver's and we all should be paid good to do our jobs. But as a you said a bad day here is a good day there. Be careful out there and try to be patient when you have to wait somewhere for a while before your next load because on extraboard it will happen. You just have to take the good with the bad. But most of the time it's usually pretty good but we all get frustrated at times.

WOW..........good luck and be safe driver.

Last edited by a moderator:
They give everyone a time card so just in case they want you to punch in for a meeting or in case you are covering a hub run and you want to work on the dock to make a little extra. Are if you go somewhere and they ask you if you have some hours to run some switch outs or some P&D work. I have had to do that up in York before when freight is heavy, but it was any big deal just a few pick ups. But anyway that is usually why we get the card. Anyway this place doe's pay pretty good and especially if you have come from a truckload company I doubt that those will ever be paid per mile what LTL'S make which is a shame because we all are driver's and we all should be paid good to do our jobs. But as a you said a bad day here is a good day there. Be careful out there and try to be patient when you have to wait somewhere for a while before your next load because on extraboard it will happen. You just have to take the good with the bad. But most of the time it's usually pretty good but we all get frustrated at times.
Yeah...had to wait in Columbus this morning for my lead trailer going to Cincinnati....ok 90 something miles away...but only an hour wait...had to break and MAKE set.....no worries...I still made more than an hour sitting at the dock for no pay. Good thing I got a laptop! Nothing wrong with getting on it! PLUS, I like making and breaking sets up....it's actually alot more work than just drop and hook a 53 footer! All in all, I'm pretty much consistent with around 500-550 miles a day....that's easy...I HAVE had those 600-650 days...that's even better...but at least I am being ran pretty consistently....I know when freight is down(jan-mar), freight is down....but oh well...for what I'm making compared with truckload is a world of difference! Now about that Skyline Chili in Cincinnati...that stuff is GROSS!!!! haha Just me....gonna have the BBQ joint this afternoon! Hope everyone is doing good!
sorry expand to read reply...stupid laptop is acting up on me!

wow....so trucking is trucking...DUH! Left out of Jacksonville this morning...go to Tampa.....then to Ft. Myers.......get there THEN central say to go back to Jacksonville....I have enough time......uh I have 5 HOURS LEFT TO DRIVE! took me 6 to get down and maybe that OR more to get back.....SMDH! So up to Tampa I stay at....oh well.....I want some of the stuff they have, just don't drug test me for a month or 2. haha

working on month 3! EVERYTHING is almost back to normal. Insurance kicked in, check...401(k) about to start, check. Looks like it's gonna be a short week out of Greensboro, Called at 1815, as always on wednesday. say 7 guys ahead of me. Call at 0200 and told 17 guys ahead of me and a few coming out of hotel. Guess they got SLAMMED with other xtra guys last night. I have right over 1000 miles for this week....so I should be leaving tonight. I can still make a good check as long as I leave tonight! haha

I'm NOT complaining at all...a bad week here is a good week at General Freight Epes! Which I hear isn't doing so hot, right now! I always take the good with the bad! Still ended up with right under 2100 this week....yeah, general freight, that would be(with PER DIEM!), around $600 NET! I really love it here....I will say this...and I WILL make this public! I CAN'T STAND THAT driver 'Hollywood'!!!!!!!!!! He get's on my last nerves sooo bad! He ALWAYS has something stupid to say to me! Like, yesterday, his quote, (YELLING) 'What do you do with that blue box(ezpass), when you're done for the day?"....oh man it went on and on...I REALLY can't STAND that guy! I really wanted to say.....ok...you guessed it...haha but, c'mon, I actually have 'morals' in life.....I know you fellows aren't THAT way with other drivers. Jacksonville, tonight it is! Gonna hafta start early.....wife is at home, her country(YES I have the dark haired, dark skinned, Venezuelan Beauty! haha) for 2 weeks more and I gotta get home and watch 2 little kids as much as possible!