My first route solo

Moneyman01

Proud to be a dad!
Credits
I did my first route solo on friday. I did 3 deliveries, 1300 cases and 230 miles. Plus I had a backhaul. I was back before 12 hrs. My dispatcher was shocked I was back as early as I was and some of the drivers said I did a very good job.

Now I'm back in the yard spotting. I got 30 hrs left for the week till i gotta reset and I guarantee there gonna use every min.

I deliver milk to Kroger stores, and I have made some pretty good friends at some of the stores here in Dallas and Houston Texas.

Many ask me "Why can't you be our milk guy all the time?" Well, it is just not set up like that any more. It seems they expect every driver to know the exact location of Two Hundred and Sixty-five Thousand, Nine-Hundred and Twenty-Three Kroger stores. Well, you and I both know that is impossible to keep that much information! No set routes and that is one of the reasons for what turn over we have.

I tried the yard dog at the dairy.....I couldn't do it. I would have to shoot several milk tanker drivers and leaver their lifeless bodies in a dumpster along with a bad cottage cheese experiment.

I did my first route solo on friday. I did 3 deliveries, 1300 cases and 230 miles. Plus I had a backhaul. I was back before 12 hrs. My dispatcher was shocked I was back as early as I was and some of the drivers said I did a very good job.

Now I'm back in the yard spotting. I got 30 hrs left for the week till i gotta reset and I guarantee there gonna use every min.

Good job Brother!!! Your gonna make em a hand, I knew you would, get off that extra list and your gonna be in good shape!!

I deliver milk to Kroger stores, and I have made some pretty good friends at some of the stores here in Dallas and Houston Texas.

Many ask me "Why can't you be our milk guy all the time?" Well, it is just not set up like that any more. It seems they expect every driver to know the exact location of Two Hundred and Sixty-five Thousand, Nine-Hundred and Twenty-Three Kroger stores. Well, you and I both know that is impossible to keep that much information! No set routes and that is one of the reasons for what turn over we have.

I tried the yard dog at the dairy.....I couldn't do it. I would have to shoot several milk tanker drivers and leaver their lifeless bodies in a dumpster along with a bad cottage cheese experiment.

They don't even try to keep ya in the same general area? That would be difficult - finding the stores is one thing, but then figuring out where to deliver is another! Which dock, where's the cooler, etc? I'll give Lipari (where I work) credit for keeping me in the same general areas for the daily routes I run. Every once in a while I'll get a weird stop or 2, but it's pretty consistent for the most part.

Customers like to see the same driver, even an ass, they would still like to see the same guy that knows what do do and how to do it.

They don't even try to keep ya in the same general area? That would be difficult - finding the stores is one thing, but then figuring out where to deliver is another! Which dock, where's the cooler, etc? I'll give Lipari (where I work) credit for keeping me in the same general areas for the daily routes I run. Every once in a while I'll get a weird stop or 2, but it's pretty consistent for the most part.

Most of us who have not been there for years do all the stores with no pattern at all. But, I know that in time, if I wait and stick with it, I will get something more predictable. I may be 82 years old when it happens....

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of us who have not been there for years do all the stores with no pattern at all. But, I know that in time, if I wait and stick with it, I will get something more predictable. I may be 82 years old when it happens....

I hear ya autocar. If I stick it out at Martin-Brower I will get set routes to. Just gonna take some time to get there. Might not be as long as I think but you never know. We have alot of "older" drivers here. The last week the only thing Ive done is spotting with the yard dog. I'm the bottom guy on a union board and I get the crap. Spotting isnt so bad. I work 8-4 right now but the bidding isnt done yet so I'll probably get overnights or 3-11 bid. But they just hired 3 drivers and if they get the 4th one on then I can get out of the yard as we have 4 yard bids. I'm trying to stay positive guys!! Its a good outfit but I do have some concerns