TForce | My supervisor says all supervision won't be Mr. nice guy anymore.

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
I asked him what he thought about us going union?
He said he wished we would stay non-union.
He got his start in a Teamster union company,and he liked working with us a lot better,because he could be more personable with the workers.

But he says now it will have to change.
The stuff that was human error that they looked the other way on will be write ups.

The company will make all management the enemy.

He did say I'd get my lunch break in,but that we'd also have time studies on our routes to see if we can pick up the pace,to get everything done allowing a half hour break.

I asked my co-worker thats been a Teamster promoter ever since he's worked with us,around 15 years.
If I should dust off my withdrawel card?

He said he thought I didn't want to have anything to do with the union again?

I said I didn't see that I had a choice?
He said get out,retire.

So here we go again,if we go union,I know where I stand already with a hung out to dry attitude from my local union rep.s.

Same old Teamsters union.

Thats ok though God has always taken good care of me even if we go union,I know who I can count on.

Thats right Apostolic be judgemental without having any idea at all what you are talking about. Twenty years is along time. I guess you are exactly the same as you where twenty years ago, eh?

Thanks for clearing this up for me Kennsaw K.

I know working for a union company thats been unionized for a long time,everyone minds their P's,& Q's.
But working with a company thats going to change over may be a whole different ball game?

Who knows how easy the change will be?

Untill everything is ironed out with work rules,it maybe good,or bad?

Who knows?

It looks like my terminal has 75% that wants to sign up.

Our Teamsters local is going to hold an informational meeting at a local resturant in 2 weeks.

Maybe thats what all the locals should do across the country.

A time for questions,and answers
from the union.

Just a thought everything up till now has all been here say.

We know what Overnite wanted,we'er not sure about UPS?

"So here we go again,if we go union,I know where I stand already with a hung out to dry attitude from my local union rep.s.

Same old Teamsters union."

so twenty years ago was Ernie M. or Bob P. supposed to hand you a job. others got on at Union barns and you could have also. you made your choice and it works for you thats OK.

Justice said:
"So here we go again,if we go union,I know where I stand already with a hung out to dry attitude from my local union rep.s.

Same old Teamsters union."

so twenty years ago was Ernie M. or Bob P. supposed to hand you a job. others got on at Union barns and you could have also. you made your choice and it works for you thats OK.
the spots on the leopard have not changed!

Apo,
The "real" reason that your supervisor wants you guys to remain non Union is so that he can continue to do the things that you yourself have described in your posts......in other words....bully you around at will, get you to work off the clock (checking unit, oil, etc. before you clock in) and skip lunch but get cut a half hours pay.....when what he should do is hire a few more drivers so all of the work gets done. You guys are really generous to donate your time while they give you little in return for your favors.

In The Union Contract..............

In the NMFA (Union Contract)There is no quota for the dock or city drivers.

It only says "a fair days work for a fair days pay".

I worked for a union company and I was never questioned on why it took me longer to do the same route than it did the day before.

You dont think the "O" mang wants it to stay the same? You think they'll be here much longer? I'm in a barn(terminal), that has been long known for having the worst tyrants going. It was very cut throat. If you weren't a co. man you were on the list. Now a days, its almost a dream job(almost). No sups on the dock except for doors to be closed, yup thats there job, and to give assignments, yup they go to you. Although, not the same every where. Just trying to inform you of how things changed in the last couple years. No its not perfect, but its getting so much better. Everyone works together now, its a matter of cut throat business now a days, and everyone thinks its a bad thing. We, and thats YRC, are still the biggest co out there(profit), that might not be for long, but we'll try! But working together, and amazingly enough, management agrees things are smoother, more efficient and all together a happier place. So to say you cant be happy, and wont get along with the sups is ludicress. Lol, and I gotta throw this in, if thats not the truth, harrassment greivences will stop that in a heart beat.
Sorry about the long wind, and skipping around. Too many thoughts jump at me!:duh:

clutchcargo said:
In the NMFA (Union Contract)There is no quota for the dock or city drivers.

It only says "a fair days work for a fair days pay".

I worked for a union company and I was never questioned on why it took me longer to do the same route than it did the day before.
Or any field for that matter. They cant come at you with numbers. Tell them fair days work...

The cards are really stacked against being non-union when..

The UPS C.E.O. rolls out the red carpet for the Teamsters to walk in.

Thers no way I'm getting in the way of J Hoffa Jr.'s union steam roller.
If everyone at my terminal wants to be organized.
So be it.

I'm to old to go against the majority.

I'll go to the Teamster meeting to see whats up,and take it from there.

Whatever happens either way I can live with it.

I live the Bible way.
One of its principles is to:
Follow peace with all men,and holiness without which no man shall see the Lord.
( Hebrews 12:14)

go to the meeting with your questions written out and don't be swayed until they get answered. Don't let Ron and/or Steve put you off and say they will get back to you.

Justice said:
go to the meeting with your questions written out and don't be swayed until they get answered. Don't let Ron and/or Steve put you off and say they will get back to you.
Well I gotta totally agree with you there. Right down the questions you want answered. You might have to go to a couple meetings to get it, but you will. I imagine they will cove rthe basics first, and get back with the rest. But dont be afraid to ask anything and opush for an answer, even if it takes a couple days.
I honestly think you'll have a brighter future with us, (working conditions,pay, and pension), but I hope you look into it to make a honest choice.
I think most of us try to help, and yet sometimes pushy. Its hard for us sometimes not see why it doesn't set in:lol: alot of us have gone both was, gee did I say that? But me, I've been on both sides,plus and minus, but would go union all over again. Hope you make the right choice what ever it will be. Still going to kick you in the:nutkick: to see the path though,lol.

Say there Justice I think you know me?

If so I sincerly hope we can work together.

Everyone close to me in all my trucking industry years knows I'm really a nice guy.

Yes I've been very unhappy about my last years with the Teamsters.

If the events that happened didn't I'd of had 30 years credit by 1997.

But thats fate.

What went down must of been ment to be at the time.

Each day we live is a new day,with new adventures.
As soon as even one second passes we can't do anything to get it back.

So please forgive me,one and all for my regrets of my old Teamster years,time to let it go.

So Justice,you can send me a private message,or meet me on the street sometime,or just remain a handle on the truckingboards.

Whatever works for you is good for me.

Apostolic said:
If so I sincerly hope we can work together.

Everyone close to me in all my trucking industry years knows I'm really a nice guy.

Yes I've been very unhappy about my last years with the Teamsters.

If the events that happened didn't I'd of had 30 years credit by 1997.

But thats fate.

What went down must of been ment to be at the time.

Each day we live is a new day,with new adventures.
As soon as even one second passes we can't do anything to get it back.

So please forgive me,one and all for my regrets of my old Teamster years,time to let it go.

So Justice,you can send me a private message,or meet me on the street sometime,or just remain a handle on the truckingboards.

Whatever works for you is good for me.
Truth be told, my father an ex teamster is bitter as well. Blasted me when I took this job(Roadway). He too couldn't understand. Hopefully, you'll have a much hapier experience this time. Honestly, I think there will be some head bumping at first, old O way of thinking, as with any company in transistion, is hard to give up. But I truely think you'll be happier in the long run. LOL, especially when you stop to eat! couldn't resist.

I love this story, and I think I told it once before. We had a driver who transfered in. Old management had a hard on him for some reason. Anyway, being a real nice guy and great with customers, coming from a deferent local at the time and doing things the way they do. He did things they way he always did. Well our terminal at the time, tried to squeeze every once outta him. Just to say its better now then when this happened 7 yrs ago. Well they started to letter him to death(disipline), but no change. Fair days work.... and he always got the customers what they needed. You would say, hey this is a good company guy. So one day they road along with him to see what he was doing. Time for lunch came, and its our choice, but they can tell you within reason when to take it, he told the sup, I'm going for lunch. No problem from the sup., so he said ok, get out of my truck I'm taking anhour. Well needless to say, he got out on the highway shoulder, stood there for an hour while he took lunch, got back in and never said a word to the driver again about his work ethic. While I laugh at this, you may think thats bad. But right is right, you work hard to deliver pick up and please our customers. We deserve our time away. Its our right by LAW. You think as a non union guy you'd get away with that? Food for thought.

Apostolic, believe me I respect a person works hard, especially one that's been doing it as long as you have. I know how the local was at the time but keep an open mind for now and question them. you know me, I work for New Penn now.
p.s. ask them if they are going to credit anymore years toward your pension if you go union.

Thanks serta,I may not be a union convert..

but I'm not dumb enough to know when to throw in the non-union towel.

I can see that just about everyone at my terminal wants to go with the union.
So if thats the case,they'll get a yes vote from me as well.

Who'd of thunk it?

Overnite could of stepped up the plate a long time ago to fix some small items, but they didn't so by their not buying us off with a little.

There handing us over to Teamster representation.

I'm sorry to say that once again they've proved themselves to be penny wise,and dollar foolish.