SAIA | My Thought

I'm not anti-union at all, I'm actually pretty neutral when it comes to unions. I think the Teamsters is a shell of a union today, and joining their ranks right now offers no benefit in my eyes. I had applications in at ABF and UPS Freight at the same time as Saia, and there were several reasons I chose Saia over the other two. Mostly ABF's ridiculous vacation time schedule and UPSF's contract language that lets them use purchase transportation while the majority of their extra board sits at home.

I'm far from a company man, and if the Teamsters could offer me something that was worth having, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Right now it doesn't seem like that's the case.
Well said, I won't go down that road because the outcome is always the same. Today's Teamsters is just a shadow of it's former self. The whole dynamics of the LTL INDUSTRY has changed. With most the major players being Non-Union it would be utter ******* to try and organize. The glory days of the Teamsters have past. They once had great power. But it was lost along the way. And that's a fact that can't be denied.

Last edited:
Nope you're wrong, big pos company. You need to stick to kissing SAIA's ass
I almost might have to agree with you there Joe... I would'nt go as far as calling them a POS company, but they do need to shake that mom and pop image. Healthcare is a bit on the high side and linehaul pay in the south is just breaking above .51 per mile. And MOST definitely not as driver friendly as Saia. I worked linehaul in the south for alot of years, and was a little difficult at times dealing with some members of the Roberts family (not all) but some. One minute they were yelling and screaming about some BS and the next they would damn near dance at your wedding. But for the most part they did give me a pretty descent shout at a good quality of life, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have made Saia home longtime ago.... And as far as Central/Vitran...:hilarious:

Not all teamsters are in the Central States Plan. UPS got out about 4 years ago and UPS Freight has never been in it. I'll get my$3,000 a month plus my 401k and my Roth IRA. A wise man plans for the future a fool is affraid of it. As to whether or not y'all organize is up to you. It's like anything else in life you've got good points and bad.

Not all teamsters are in the Central States Plan. UPS got out about 4 years ago and UPS Freight has never been in it. I'll get my$3,000 a month plus my 401k and my Roth IRA. A wise man plans for the future a fool is affraid of it. As to whether or not y'all organize is up to you. It's like anything else in life you've got good points and bad.

Yep, the one union company left around here that might be worth working for is UPS parcel. My father-in-law has worked for them since the late 70's and loves it. Unfortunately the turnover at that barn is non-existent and if I did get in the door over there I would be only working 2-3 days a week on the bottom of the board. Really can't justify giving up my 575 mile run at Saia for that kinda crap.