SAIA | Nanny-cams

A thought just occurred to me...perhaps the nanny cams are a way to get rid of some of the senior drivers who have their health insurance paid in full by the company. The health insurance cost must be astronomical for Saia, so the less people getting it for free, the better. Insurance gets more costly the older you get, so the cams could be an I direct way of making the pool shallower, without having to formally amend, or get rid of entirely, that benefit. Just a thought.

I'll chime in. A previous poster mentioned "ask the drivers" as a solution. In my experience at Saia, the culture existed and was nurtured that drivers are there for one reason: to drive. The company doesn't care about opinions, experiences, suggestions, any of that. That falls into the scope of managers. And managers are not drivers and vice versa.

I am sure those managers are fully aware of what it takes to be a successfull driver. Right up to the point they go home and eat supper and spend the evening with their familys... now i will say, we chose to do what we do. Sometimes a driver is in a no win situation. Damned if you do and damned if you dont.
But to think a manager knows every situation that can occur and how to deal with it is about as intelligent as buying lottery tickets.

A little more of a follow up,

All of life these days is about covering your a**.
It is not just that you will have a job loss... you will go to jail. If any of the above actions can be proven...
Experienced drivers know and understand that doing things correctly and not cutting corners can and will save your biscuts in a worse case scenaro...
Other drivers dont have the forthought to understand that the15 minutes you save cutting corners could cost you your career and maybe your freedom.

Phone useage.
I understand a few cases of distracted drivers have been disastrous. But look at the other side.
Research has shown that the human body is not really efficient at working a nightshift. It is physically and mentally demanding. Every driver has a different way of overcoming these obstacles. Some drink coffee, some stop for a nap.
Some use personal interaction, and since your in a truck, They use a phone. This is also used for company bennefit. Traffic and weather conditions, help a driver with directions and instructions.
Dispatch contact when there is a urgent need.
Drivers spend a lot of time at work. It gives them a way to stay in touch with family, which they might only get to see a few hours a week. And wouldnt the company rather have a driver resting while off durt instead of taking care of things that could have been handled with a call.

It really all boils down to driver responci
If the cameras run off a sizable number of experenced and reliable drivers. What do you think you're going to get to replace them? Less experienced and reliable drivers who in turn have even more accidents. So in my humble opinion it is cutting off your nose to spite your face
A thought just occurred to me...perhaps the nanny cams are a way to get rid of some of the senior drivers who have their health insurance paid in full by the company. The health insurance cost must be astronomical for Saia, so the less people getting it for free, the better. Insurance gets more costly the older you get, so the cams could be an I direct way of making the pool shallower, without having to formally amend, or get rid of entirely, that benefit. Just a thought.
I am sure those managers are fully aware of what it takes to be a successfull driver. Right up to the point they go home and eat supper and spend the evening with their familys... now i will say, we chose to do what we do. Sometimes a driver is in a no win situation. Damned if you do and damned if you dont.
But to think a manager knows every situation that can occur and how to deal with it is about as intelligent as buying lottery tickets.
Pure negative scenarios and speculation. There is the other side of how they can help the company and the driver. When you guys become a CEO of a major LTL company and have had the kind of success Rick has had then you may gain some credibility with me. Until then .... Whatever.

Last edited:
I know one thing for sure
Whenever a company tries to do change company procedures and policies. It always works out exactly as planned. Surely companies never make a mistake. They are WAY to smart for that.....

A little more of a follow up,

All of life these days is about covering your a**.
It is not just that you will have a job loss... you will go to jail. If any of the above actions can be proven...
Experienced drivers know and understand that doing things correctly and not cutting corners can and will save your biscuts in a worse case scenaro...
Other drivers dont have the forthought to understand that the15 minutes you save cutting corners could cost you your career and maybe your freedom.

Phone useage.
I understand a few cases of distracted drivers have been disastrous. But look at the other side.
Research has shown that the human body is not really efficient at working a nightshift. It is physically and mentally demanding. Every driver has a different way of overcoming these obstacles. Some drink coffee, some stop for a nap.
Some use personal interaction, and since your in a truck, They use a phone. This is also used for company bennefit. Traffic and weather conditions, help a driver with directions and instructions.
Dispatch contact when there is a urgent need.
Drivers spend a lot of time at work. It gives them a way to stay in touch with family, which they might only get to see a few hours a week. And wouldnt the company rather have a driver resting while off durt instead of taking care of things that could have been handled with a call.

It really all boils down to driver responci
Very well put. I personally can't sit perfectly still with 2 hands on the wheel not eating , drinking, or conversing on the phone or radio for too long without feeling the ol eye lids getting heavy. I've got to keep my mind going at night.

Pure negative scenarios and speculation. There is the other side of how they can help the company and the driver. When you guys become a CEO of a major LTL company and have had the kind of success Rick has had then you may gain some credibility with me. Until then .... Whatever.
You have to give GuessWho some credit. He or she has very valid points to all of this.

You have to give GuessWho some credit. He or she has very valid points to all of this.
I told him he had some valid points. Look, this is the thing. These cameras are here to stay and it does no good to sit and bitch about it. They will soon start to retrofit all the units except the later model Volvos. In a perfect world these cameras wouldn't be needed but as we all know things aren't perfect. Having driven DriveCam exclusively since day one I can tell you they are not that bad. You learn how to work with them to keep them from triggering. I run the same P&D route everyday and know exactly where they tend to trigger and I act accordingly. Guys it does no good to continue and bitch about something you can't change. That's really all I'm trying to say. Your only option is to quit and I wouldn't recommend that. Many will but there are guys in line ready to take your place. The company is willing to pay that price. This company will move on with or without you. That's a choice you must make.

R

I would love to hear your best case
scenarios for your average day p&d
And linehaul driver!

Now after that....
When drivers can not do things "perfectly." Like lets say, not having two hands on the wheel at all times.
Maybe taking a drink of coffee while driving. God forbid. Just a couple possibilities. But i can imagine a few dozen more that are just as harmless.
I told him he had some valid points. Look, this is the thing. These cameras are here to stay and it does no good to sit and bitch about it. They will soon start to retrofit all the units except the later model Volvos. In a perfect world these cameras wouldn't be needed but as we all know things aren't perfect. Having driven DriveCam exclusively since day one I can tell you they are not that bad. You learn how to work with them to keep them from triggering. I run the same P&D route everyday and know exactly where they tend to trigger and I act accordingly. Guys it does no good to continue and bitch about something you can't change. That's really all I'm trying to say. Your only option is to quit and I wouldn't recommend that. Many will but there are guys in line ready to take your place. The company is willing to pay that price. This company will move on with or without you. That's a choice you must make.

You are exactly correct. But can you say that the replacement drivers are as good as the drivers that leave?
I can see Saia becoming SWIFT
I truely doubt that the replacement drivers, if you can find any...... can adapt to the micro management...... i hope Saia gets excactly what they want.

But beware of awakening the same wave the ousted the democrats and pushed Donald Trump into office...

Guys and Gals who who would normally walk the company line will
Balk about being so tightly managed.....

R

I would love to hear your best case
scenarios for your average day p&d
And linehaul driver!

Now after that....
When drivers can not do things "perfectly." Like lets say, not having two hands on the wheel at all times.
Maybe taking a drink of coffee while driving. God forbid. Just a couple possibilities. But i can imagine a few dozen more that are just as harmless.

You are exactly correct. But can you say that the replacement drivers are as good as the drivers that leave?
I can see Saia becoming SWIFT
I truely doubt that the replacement drivers, if you can find any...... can adapt to the micro management...... i hope Saia gets excactly what they want.

But beware of awakening the same wave the ousted the democrats and pushed Donald Trump into office...

Guys and Gals who who would normally walk the company line will
Balk about being so tightly managed.....
SAIA recruiters have a selective process that works really well. It's not that easy to get on at SAIA even with the driver shortage. At 25.40 hourly plus OT after 45 in Texas and 62cpm plus great healthcare and everything else you get pretty good drivers. And up North they make more. We would never be another Swift and your crazy to even think that. Don't bring politics in this because it has nothing to do with this. Your trying to spin things as many do here. Many would be happy to work here with our compensation package and would accept the terms that SAIA sets forth. Don't kid yourself.

He's right. Too much inconsistency company wide. I saw it firsthand more times than I can count. Just run linehaul and you'll see where and what you can get away with. Smoking, padlocks, seat belts, you name it. If you are going to have any policy, it needs to be consistently enforced or you open yourself up to litigation. Saia would never let it go to court and risk exposure, but it will cost money.
I need something to keep me smoking....PLEASE!!!

Here is all i meant about the political aspect... eveyone said Donald Trump had no chance to be President. IReally right up until election day. He tapped into the common man and womans frustrations. I see that happening with the drive cams.
Drivers who could not give a flip about anything going on in the Saia culture. Just wanted to get to work. Get the day over and get back home. Now these cameras will have a day to day effect on their jobs. Someone telling them they cant eat a snack driving down the road. They cant drink that coffee...most of the things they do safely every day for the longest time. All of a sudden it will be effect their ability to make a living. I dont see that going well, for anyone.
I do not think this is something that cant be reversed. I know the company is committed to the change. They have invested a lot of
Resourses. But time will tell. I think i know the common mans reaction to the coming events........ we will know for sure soon enough......

Here is all i meant about the political aspect... eveyone said Donald Trump had no chance to be President. IReally right up until election day. He tapped into the common man and womans frustrations. I see that happening with the drive cams.
Drivers who could not give a flip about anything going on in the Saia culture. Just wanted to get to work. Get the day over and get back home. Now these cameras will have a day to day effect on their jobs. Someone telling them they cant eat a snack driving down the road. They cant drink that coffee...most of the things they do safely every day for the longest time. All of a sudden it will be effect their ability to make a living. I dont see that going well, for anyone.
I do not think this is something that cant be reversed. I know the company is committed to the change. They have invested a lot of
Resourses. But time will tell. I think i know the common mans reaction to the coming events........ we will know for sure soon enough......
They may dial it back a bit as far as sensitivity. Conway (XPO) made a few adjustments but it's still there. They will not cave just like Conway didn't no matter how much push back they get. In just 2 or 3 years everyone will have them. Just wait and see. And I have no problem with them. I think they will make the roads safer in the long run. They keep drivers aware and will help them from becoming complacent and over confident. Some of the smug drivers we have make me sick.

If you have been paying attention, you would know that the parameters and boundaries at Saia is different at every terminal. What may be acceptable at DLS may not be in SLC. I think it may have something to do with how easy it is to hire new drivers in that location.
What's more, the cameras may very well go against SAIA as some sharp lawyer could find something the driver was doing in an accident and sue SAIA. Something that can't be seen now. I don't know what world you live in Train, but, lawyers will be out to use this against SAIA every chance they get.

Wouldn't that be classified as some kind of discrimination. Treating one different than the other

Saia is in business to move freight from point A to point B. The only way we are going to get the managers to back off is if the freight is late getting to point B. So, the way we do this is that we follow the rules to a "T". If we need to drink some coffee or eat a little snack, then pull off of the road onto an exit and spend some time drinking coffee and eating. Get on the phone with your wife [or whoever] for a few minutes and then drive down the road, obeying the rules. If you have to pull off to drink again in 30-45 minutes, do that. If a 8 hour run now takes 10 hours, well too bad, just following the rules! I know it will be hard for many of you to do but, this is the only way to get the attention of the company that this won't work for them.
By the way, I was told that Dallas drivers were told they can't even so much as change the radio channel while driving. Is that true?

Saia is in business to move freight from point A to point B. The only way we are going to get the managers to back off is if the freight is late getting to point B. So, the way we do this is that we follow the rules to a "T". If we need to drink some coffee or eat a little snack, then pull off of the road onto an exit and spend some time drinking coffee and eating. Get on the phone with your wife [or whoever] for a few minutes and then drive down the road, obeying the rules. If you have to pull off to drink again in 30-45 minutes, do that. If a 8 hour run now takes 10 hours, well too bad, just following the rules! I know it will be hard for many of you to do but, this is the only way to get the attention of the company that this won't work for them.
I wouldn't advise that.

They cant have it both ways.
They either want you to follow the rules to the letter.....or they want late freight. If a driver drinks coffee to fight off the mornig sleepiness, that happens now matter how much sleep you get. It is part of the human circadian rhythm. If you cant drink coffee while driving, you have to stop.... if you smoke, you have to stop, if the only time you have to talk to your wife is on her way to work, guess what...... you have to stop. All of this takes time...
It doesn't matter than 99% of the drivers can do all of this and still get that truck back safely. We have to pay the price for a few.....

They cant have their cake and eat it too......
So any way you slice it, everyone and i mean everyone is screwed. There will be no winner, only drivers feeling pushed out and company managers stuck in the middle.
Having to call valued employees into the office and reprimanding them for things they don't believe are wrong either. I see tough times ahead, and it didn't have to be this way.

BTW... does anyone think the company stockholders know what is going down? The price tag this all could incur?
As I said before there will be no winners in this policy change...

Runawaytrain did you say
Some of the smug drivers we have make me sick?

If you really feel that way about fellow company drivers, that arent just like you!
I think you should examine that, maybe with some peofessional help..

37eBkHT.jpg

Since I've been in this business probably longer than you have been alive I have found that some of the most serious accidents have involved smug, arrogant drivers that know it all. The ones that know nothing about the word "humility"