SAIA | Nanny-cams

Do any of you really believe these cams will save anything? Ambulance chasing attorneys will still file the law suites. They will check every detail of that drivers day. Can they prove the driver was not well rested? Phone records might prove he did not get much sleep while he was off duty. Did he take his full manditory break? Most terminals have yard cameras. Did that driver do any work related activities while off duty? Maybe he fueled while on his break, did he hook his set while on that break...
There are so many other things that can prove that a driver was not compliant. I dont believe the cameras will do anything but add cost and headaches for the Saia managment. What will the cost be to retrain drivers who need "coached" and Saia is paying two drivers for a week to do the same job.... x 10 drivers a month, x 20
How about the cost of replacing drivers? Terminated or resigned?
Driver facing cams... can you figure how big the sign on bonus, it will take to fill that vacant seat?
The way i see it. Whatever amout the management will save on accidents will pale to all the other cost they will incur. Let alone the cost of the equipment and monitoring........
Cameras are not the answer.
The answer is...... finding experienced drivers that can do the job. Employees that can be counted on to come to work everyday and get the job done. Drivers who will call out fellow drivers not meeting expectations. I believe this can be done without being spied on... if you want the real answers to success,
ASK the drivers.... they are your bread and butter. Dont tell them how to do the job the biggest majority have be doing all along......

I agree with everything you said here, the only problem is that we don't live in that society anymore. If it were still 1958 and "old school" was still considered "current school" this would be a no-brainer. But we have management that knows nothing of trucking, a good number of drivers that aren't made like they used to make 'em, and a lazy litigious society looking to score a quick and easy buck. There's no good answer to this equation I'm afraid...

I thought i would look up why Airline pilots do not have cameras in the cockpit. The answer was, no one should watch a person die on video.

So here is what i want hear.
If the drive cams are so important. When there is an accident that kills a driver. And it will happen. Every Saia upper managment that agreed with having cams should have to watch that video. Not lay it off on the saftey department. But look at the handy work that they have used to mico manage their employees.

Most of the reason, for me anyway, to love trucking was to have a job with no one looking over my shoulder every minute. Give me a job to do and the tools and equipment to do that job and let me figure out how to do it better than the next guy.
I hope Saia gets everything they deserve. As with a lot of things
"Be carefull what you wish for, because you just might get it"

These is a Cosmic give and take in this world and to me, Saia is doing a lot of taking and not much giving.
When i add that up in my head... sounds like nothing but bad luck.

Friendly suggestion, and I'm speaking from experience...

Seriously look into buying your own truck and being an Owner/Operator. You pay yourself, and your income is a direct correlation to how willing you are to work. Get on the healthcare exchange and get a nice policy for about $150/month.

This is a big step and isn't for everyone. But I took this leap and haven't looked back. Now I have 4 trucks and employees in less than 3 years. There is so much freight to haul it is insane. Look into it. A brand new truck is not that much money if you are willing to work.

I thought i would look up why Airline pilots do not have cameras in the cockpit. The answer was, no one should watch a person die on video.

So here is what i want hear.
If the drive cams are so important. When there is an accident that kills a driver. And it will happen. Every Saia upper managment that agreed with having cams should have to watch that video. Not lay it off on the saftey department. But look at the handy work that they have used to mico manage their employees.

Most of the reason, for me anyway, to love trucking was to have a job with no one looking over my shoulder every minute. Give me a job to do and the tools and equipment to do that job and let me figure out how to do it better than the next guy.
I hope Saia gets everything they deserve. As with a lot of things
"Be carefull what you wish for, because you just might get it"

These is a Cosmic give and take in this world and to me, Saia is doing a lot of taking and not much giving.
When i add that up in my head... sounds like nothing but bad luck.
Really??? Kind of a sick spin on this topic. You act as if these cameras watch you 24/7 .... I rarely trigger them so for the most part I'm never watched. I do my job and I'm left alone. SAIA NOT GIVING MUCH??? I can take home over a $1000 a week if I want. Do you even work here? As long as I'm getting paid the kind of money I do they could watch me all day. I work to get paid and brother I get paid good. Most knocked on SAIA's door. Not the other way around. If guys don't like the terms they are free to leave. Buy your own truck like Buck suggest and run things the way you want. That would be your right. SAIA HAS THE RIGHT TO RUN THINGS THE WAY THEY WANT !! Take it or leave it.

Last edited:
Friendly suggestion, and I'm speaking from experience...

Seriously look into buying your own truck and being an Owner/Operator. You pay yourself, and your income is a direct correlation to how willing you are to work. Get on the healthcare exchange and get a nice policy for about $150/month.

This is a big step and isn't for everyone. But I took this leap and haven't looked back. Now I have 4 trucks and employees in less than 3 years. There is so much freight to haul it is insane. Look into it. A brand new truck is not that much money if you are willing to work.
Buck do you have your own authority or leased to a company?

My own authority. Went around to several companies in my area and gave them my card and credentials. Phone ringing constantly.

My own authority. Went around to several companies in my area and gave them my card and credentials. Phone ringing constantly.
That is the way I am going to go if I do it again. I had 10 trucks leased to a company before coming to Saia. Just waiting on rates to come up, and not sure i want to do it again. It is a lot of work. This Saia gig is the easiest job I have had in my life, but these cameras and ridiculous rules have me thinking about it.

37eBkHT.jpg

Since I've been in this business probably longer than you have been alive I have found that some of the most serious accidents have involved smug, arrogant drivers that know it all. The ones that know nothing about the word "humility"
When you get to old to adapt, you've gotten to old to learn. If you're too old to learn, you're not much good to anyone.