ODFL | Need ODFL driver traiing info

guide lamp

TB Lurker
Credits
I applied at the Indianapolis terminal yesterday for OD'S driver training school as I possess neither the CDL license or driver experience.

I've had contact with their safety manager in NC, but he gave out very little information, instead refering me to their line haul and employment managers in Indy. Unfortunately, neither of them would offer much in the way of information either.

All parties said not to check on my application, and that they would be in touch if they were interested in interviewing me.

Now I read a posting here that says I would have to work the docks first and then work into their training program. I also noted that their training is only offered at the larger terminals, and was wondering if Indy's was one of them. I am aware of OD'S one year commitment in exchange for training.

At age 54 and retired, my days of dock work (yes I did that for many years) are over. My physical strength and stamina just arent able to handle that anymore.

Besides wondering if Indy is one of OD'S driver training facilites, I am also wondering if I could become placed right into their training program, without being required to work into it through dock work?

I don't have the $$$$$$ for driver training school and cannot locate any funding sources for it, or I would obtain my CDL license with proper endorsements first. Nor can I locate any other LTL carriers that might offer CDL and driver training.

Any info you can give me about OD"s driver training or answering my questions would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum guide lamp. Having to work on the dock depends on the terminal you apply at. Now a days I think it is becoming a rarity. That was not much of an answer they gave you in Indy but O.D. is supposed to be hiring drivers now so they are probably covered up with apps.Especially after giving what they called a good raise.You've done about all you can do if they said not to call back.Maybe somebody from that area will post and be able to tell you more.Good luck and welcome again to the forum.

i don't think ind makes you work the dock but it does take about a week or two to do a background check on you before they will inteview you it may be longer if they have alot of apps. as far as the school you sign a one year contract the school is one week of class one week p&d and three weeks linehaul at least thats the way they do it in tn ind may run alittle diferent good luck

In KCY you have to work as a hostler first. Usually move from the dock to get that gig. Than 1 week school and 250 hours real time training. Indy has school almost all the time sometimes a couple of classes I think. Good luck.

Thanks!

Ive received more helpful info from you guys than I could ever receive from the company!

I plan to just sit back, relax, wait, and hope that OD will eventaully give me a call. Their linehaul manager told me last week they were hiring drivers. However, it was apparent he wants to hire experienced drivers, as he didnt sound too happy after hearing I would need CDL and driver training.

At least he didnt brush me off, as he explained about having to sign on for a year in exchange for their training, and that "it would take me longer to get up to speed as I have no experience."

My commute to the Indy terminal is an hour each way, no matter what route I travel. It will even be longer once winter weather hits this area of Indiana. However, if OD will provide training and offer me a line haul position, I'm ready to sign on for that year, despite the commute.

After all, at age 54, this new positon will be my last.

Again, thanks to the trucking board posters for their help!

Don't wait on them to call you.You call them at least once a week to let them know that you are still interested and if you are really wanting to work for them you would be willing to do anything.

Don't wait on them to call you.You call them at least once a week to let them know that you are still interested and if you are really wanting to work for them you would be willing to do anything.

ANYTHING ???....easy there driver.I know you and what you meant but all these fellas don't know you and what you meant.You might need to Xplain that one a little better.

Well not anything,just that if folks don't want to sit around and wait for the phone to ring maybe they could inquire about the dock or yard or shop. Something to get your foot in the door so to speak.

Can not call OD

As part of my "pre application" I had to sign a paper saying that I would not call OD to check on my application. OD made it quite clear their hiring manager in Indy does not want to be bothered by applicants for any reason.

On the same form and on my way out, I was told "if OD is interested, we will call you."

As part of my "pre application" I had to sign a paper saying that I would not call OD to check on my application. OD made it quite clear their hiring manager in Indy does not want to be bothered by applicants for any reason.

On the same form and on my way out, I was told "if OD is interested, we will call you."

Now that's what I call a change in attitude.That might bite them on a tender place.

I really think you should just look into getting your own CDL training while you are waiting for a call from OD. Generally, I just think getting training from a company, and being obligated to that company is a bad idea. Sometimes it can't be helped, but getting your own CDL training helps you in two ways. 1. you already have the license when applying, therefore you get a little more attention.
2. you are not obligated to stay there. If it doesn't suit you for some reason, you can look elsewhere, without fear of being sued.
Community college CDL training is the way to go.