ODFL | Need some advice

Mack185

TB Lurker
Credits
So right now I work for a chemical distributor here in Indy (private fleet) doing LTL, tankers and branch transfers. It's a good company but, the pay really isn't there. They have great PTO, an AMAZING 401k and plenty of OT but, it still isn't enough especially considering the work we do.

I have two boys so the most important thing they provide is stability, no lay offs or cut hours. Now OD is hiring line haul drivers at both Indy and Brownsburg so I guess my question is; Is it worth the switch?

My health insurance sucks and I average about $55-60,000 a year but, I'd like to make more. Are the two Indy branches stable enough to keep you working year round? Income potential? etc. etc.

Any help is appreciated, I'm really conflicted on this one.

55-60 is what our line drivers earn if they took half the year off. Most avg 90-100k+ including new guys. You see them come here and a month later they're driving a 79k pickup. The money is that good. Put in the app and don't look back.

Is one branch better than the other? Brownsburg or Indy?

Is it best to just apply online or mosey on over to the branch and pay a visit?

I run out of Indy and if I were choosing between Brownsburg and Indy as a new hire it would be Indy. We have more runs and more miles on the extra board and you'll have more of an opportunity to move up the board.

I live in Johnson County so Indy is closer, good deal. Thanks for the advice so far, guys.
We were offered the opportunity to transfer to Brownsburg and I stayed in Indy. Very glad I did. I have a 75 mile commute myself and it's definitely worth it.

We were offered the opportunity to transfer to Brownsburg and I stayed in Indy. Very glad I did. I have a 75 mile commute myself and it's definitely worth it.
About a 58 door terminal on Northfield drive next door to Guitar? I so a nice building. The doors were a little close. Lots of fans on the dock. Small but nice to run a small operation for NW Indy and Crawfordsville, Lafayette, & more NW of the Purdue campus. I was there 2 years. Not bad compared to some other hole in the wall joints. von.

55-60 is what our line drivers earn if they took half the year off. Most avg 90-100k+ including new guys. You see them come here and a month later they're driving a 79k pickup. The money is that good. Put in the app and don't look back.
You need to put these new guys on notice about texting or moving in on your side grass cutting job.

You need to put these new guys on notice about texting or moving in on your side grass cutting job.
I have a grand total of 5 customers. Just enough to cover their lunches. No CDL needed. Applicants must have experience driving a zero turn mower while texting. This is a must have skill. All others can apply in the winter for the snow shoveling detail. von.

I have a grand total of 5 customers. Just enough to cover their lunches. No CDL needed. Applicants must have experience driving a zero turn mower while texting. This is a must have skill. All others can apply in the winter for the snow shoveling detail. von.

Von, I may be intrested but have not been checked out on zero turn snow blower.
Last job offer I had, guy said he would pay me what I was worth, I told him right quick, damned if I'll work for that!

Last job offer I had, guy said he would pay me what I was worth, I told him right quick, damned if I'll work for that!

You boys are scared of the mighty OD and try to derail our important company communications at every turn, but OD will stop at nothing until we collect every LTL's carrier's freight and put it onto our trucks. There is no stopping us, we are OD. Feel the power of 2.0.

Defiantly go in to terminal. They will ask if you have doubles, hazmat and tanker. You will run good out of indy. It slows in winter for a couple months, but they spread the miles around. They dont starve out the guys on bottom of the board. I avg around 2500 in winter and 3000 plus the rest of the year running extra out of indy.

That's funny. As to the zero turn snow blower, only if you are clearing a round about. Otherwise I am stumped. Bought my 60'' X-Mark 10 years ago. Has about 700 hours on it. I know a guy who has 12 crews17 machines & puts 1500 hours on every machine each year. Most 60 inch zero turns run about 10 to 11 grand. He cuts 420 acres a week. Most of the big box warehouse properties in the industrial parks. Hacheete aka Little Brown books has 2 500,000 SQ FT warehouses on about 30 acres. They have or had a employee who all he did was take care of the lawn during the summer. It took him 4 days to do all of it. 1 day was for weed wacking alone. Typical time is a acre per hour for cutting with a 60 inch. All depends how rough the lawn is. Dixie Chopper, or X-Mark are the 2 best on the market. Heavy steel decks. 27 to 30 horse engines. Dixie makes a 82 inch wide deck with 2 - 27 horse engines. One drives the hydraulic pumps & all accessories, the other the deck belts that turn the blades. It is a beast of a machine. Nothing can keep up with it. But, @ 13,500.00 you better have a lot of grass to pay for it. Or maybe not. Some like a ride on a Harley on the weekend, some like a Dixie Chopper. With an 82 inch cut & a typical lawn of about an acre, ya can cut your yard in 20 minutes & drink the other 3 hours it would take to push it with your 21 inch. Each to his own. Happy mowing or drinking. von.
Forgot, on u-tube type in remote control snow plows. There are people with to much time & way to smart to build one. But they did. Some pretty cool computer controlled snow blowers.

You boys are scared of the mighty OD and try to derail our important company communications at every turn, but OD will stop at nothing until we collect every LTL's carrier's freight and put it onto our trucks. There is no stopping us, we are OD. Feel the power of 2.0.

Not hard to derail your communications when you use 2 tin cans and a string.
Billy to Wong, over

Last edited:
That's funny. As to the zero turn snow blower, only if you are clearing a round about. Otherwise I am stumped. Bought my 60'' X-Mark 10 years ago. Has about 700 hours on it. I know a guy who has 12 crews17 machines & puts 1500 hours on every machine each year. Most 60 inch zero turns run about 10 to 11 grand. He cuts 420 acres a week. Most of the big box warehouse properties in the industrial parks. Hacheete aka Little Brown books has 2 500,000 SQ FT warehouses on about 30 acres. They have or had a employee who all he did was take care of the lawn during the summer. It took him 4 days to do all of it. 1 day was for weed wacking alone. Typical time is a acre per hour for cutting with a 60 inch. All depends how rough the lawn is. Dixie Chopper, or X-Mark are the 2 best on the market. Heavy steel decks. 27 to 30 horse engines. Dixie makes a 82 inch wide deck with 2 - 27 horse engines. One drives the hydraulic pumps & all accessories, the other the deck belts that turn the blades. It is a beast of a machine. Nothing can keep up with it. But, @ 13,500.00 you better have a lot of grass to pay for it. Or maybe not. Some like a ride on a Harley on the weekend, some like a Dixie Chopper. With an 82 inch cut & a typical lawn of about an acre, ya can cut your yard in 20 minutes & drink the other 3 hours it would take to push it with your 21 inch. Each to his own. Happy mowing or drinking. von.
Forgot, on u-tube type in remote control snow plows. There are people with to much time & way to smart to build one. But they did. Some pretty cool computer controlled snow blowers.

Ferris has one with twin 27 Kawasakis,even more expensive, my brother has Xmark, I have a gravely 25hp kawasaki
52in, you can't sit on it wot, about 12mph, I cut about 4 acres in the country, here on the island my lot is only 60x185 ft.
My bro. just returned from his friends funeral, his zero fell on him, these commercial mowers weigh 1000lb plus

Ferris has one with twin 27 Kawasakis,even more expensive, my brother has Xmark, I have a gravely 25hp kawasaki
52in, you can't sit on it wot, about 12mph, I cut about 4 acres in the country, here on the island my lot is only 60x185 ft.
My bro. just returned from his friends funeral, his zero fell on him, these commercial mowers weigh 1000lb plus
Mine is right @ 970. Ferris is not a bad machine. Gets the job done.Kawasaki is a good engine for these mowers. My first zero was a 52 inch Scag. Did a good job, but the X-Mark with the Advantage Deck for some reason has never clogged up on me & does a better job of cutting @ discharge of the grass. Don't know why but the X-Mark machine is better than a Scag. I do know the more horse power the better the cut & discharge. The key to all of it is the measured blade tip speed. More ponies, more BTS, better discharge. Especially if you cut early when the dew is still in the grass. von.

I got two goats. Cut and fertilize at the same time!!

My father in law has a dixie chopper silver eagle series with the 31 hp generac zero turn. Its real nice but a bit pricey.