TForce | Negotiation time is coming soon. What are you going to ask for?

upgf-driver

TB Lurker
Credits
With so many terminals ready to negotiate I think it would be a great idea for all of us to get together and start to formulate some ideas on proposals for our new contracts. We've had our share of bashing the Indy deal, now it's our time to do it.

I honestly don't know to what extent we (the drivers) will be involved, but it's for us, so we better have as much say as anyone else.

What did you like about the Indy deal and what didn't you like? Let's share ideas and opinions in this thread. Then we can all use this information during our local negotiations. I will kick it off with some ideas in the next post.

Please lets not debate these on this thread. Let this just be a collection of ideas. The debating should be done locally with your fellow workers.

With so many terminals ready to negotiate I think it would be a great idea for all of us to get together and start to formulate some ideas on proposals for our new contracts. We've had our share of bashing the Indy deal, now it's our time to do it.

I honestly don't know to what extent we (the drivers) will be involved, but it's for us, so we better have as much say as anyone else.

What did you like about the Indy deal and what didn't you like? Let's share ideas and opinions in this thread. Then we can all use this information during our local negotiations. I will kick it off with some ideas in the next post.

Great post. I was going to start this one myself.

Here are some random ideas to kick this off.

-I wonder to what extent local cost of living adjustments will matter. If you live in a larger city or a tax haven, you might consider this.

-Indy had trouble with the pay rate for road drivers with the company not wanting to pay the full rate for certain jobs that were performed. Clearer language will be needed.

-Something to consider is whether or not road drivers should or could be paid hourly. Doing the math, it comes out very close with the advantage being safety. There will be no incentive to driving 15 over the speed limit in Illinois as many do. Also in winter weather driving conditions, you will be properly paid for your time.

-Vacation for road drivers is currently being paid as your average whereas city drivers are paid just eight hours. That should be fixed so that all are paid their average. Also, holidays and personal days should as well.

-In the Indy deal, the limit on accidents is three per nine months, not twelve. That will be very important for some.

-One I'm particularly fond of is that all road runs (who took what the previous night) needs to be posted every day. That way we know that all drivers were given what they should have been and we don't have to fake that we really give a crap how everyone is doing when all we're calling for is to find out what they're running.

-Contractors. We cannot eliminate them, but good language will limit their use. I don't like the way it's set up where they seem to think they can use them when there isn't freight coming back. Right now, in Milwaukee, we load direct trailers for Dallas, but Dallas doesn't load direct loads for Milwaukee, so they send the Dallas freight with owner operators. But there is freight coming back, they just don't load it for a direct run. My point is it can be twisted. I like the idea that all company drivers must be working before the contractors pull loads. Also, and this is huge, there must be language that limits their use to a certain percentage. Otherwise, they'll never hire another road driver. We go first and they can only run a certain percentage with contractors.

-I would go into the negotiations with the expectation that we get to keep the matching 401k. Losing it shouldn't be a given. What are we going to get in return? What did Indy get?

I will add more later. I'm looking forward to hearing what ideas you have in the works for your negotiations.

at ren we get paid layovers after the first one. makes it a little easier to stay out all week as an extra driver

I'm all about working to keep the match on the 401K, and I believe legally if it is not kept it will have to be renamed a 403-b per fed regs. I could be off on this
Art 44 re: contractors, reads something like this when the union and company agree a "sufficient" amount of frt is being handled by contractors then additional new hires will be considered. To me this is very vague and needs to be adressed in more detail ie % 's of freight, on a regular basis etc..
Art 45 re: air conditoning. The article now reads a/c I think it should be re written to read WORKING a/c
Art 5 Monetary Drivers shall be paid for all time spent "in the service" of the company.
Goes on to list several criteria. Does this include delays? It is not specifically covered.
These are the things that have jumped out at me by skimming the contract that I have read so far.:1036316054:

i can tell you guys what to ask for.......exactly what yrc and abf has.......no ifs, no but.......go for it all......nuf said:smilie_132:

Didn't you listen to the card check rules? The contract is being negotiated by the international not the locals. This has been said numerous times

Oh boy I see the s*** hitting the fan now

Great post. I was going to start this one myself.

Here are some random ideas to kick this off.

-I wonder to what extent local cost of living adjustments will matter. If you live in a larger city or a tax haven, you might consider this.

-Indy had trouble with the pay rate for road drivers with the company not wanting to pay the full rate for certain jobs that were performed. Clearer language will be needed.

-Something to consider is whether or not road drivers should or could be paid hourly. Doing the math, it comes out very close with the advantage being safety. There will be no incentive to driving 15 over the speed limit in Illinois as many do. Also in winter weather driving conditions, you will be properly paid for your time.

-Vacation for road drivers is currently being paid as your average whereas city drivers are paid just eight hours. That should be fixed so that all are paid their average. Also, holidays and personal days should as well.

-In the Indy deal, the limit on accidents is three per nine months, not twelve. That will be very important for some.

-One I'm particularly fond of is that all road runs (who took what the previous night) needs to be posted every day. That way we know that all drivers were given what they should have been and we don't have to fake that we really give a crap how everyone is doing when all we're calling for is to find out what they're running.

-Contractors. We cannot eliminate them, but good language will limit their use. I don't like the way it's set up where they seem to think they can use them when there isn't freight coming back. Right now, in Milwaukee, we load direct trailers for Dallas, but Dallas doesn't load direct loads for Milwaukee, so they send the Dallas freight with owner operators. But there is freight coming back, they just don't load it for a direct run. My point is it can be twisted. I like the idea that all company drivers must be working before the contractors pull loads. Also, and this is huge, there must be language that limits their use to a certain percentage. Otherwise, they'll never hire another road driver. We go first and they can only run a certain percentage with contractors.

-I would go into the negotiations with the expectation that we get to keep the matching 401k. Losing it shouldn't be a given. What are we going to get in return? What did Indy get?

I will add more later. I'm looking forward to hearing what ideas you have in the works for your negotiations.

If you think a road driver should get paid by the hour. You sure have fuzzy math. We average a lot more than $22.00 an hour.:1036316054:

I'm a peon again. Can't get new password that is sent to me to work.:hissyfit:

Ups does pay some of there road drivers by the hour.

Also there is nothing in the contract about Delay pay. I thought this was a big deal.

Didn't you listen to the card check rules? The contract is being negotiated by the international not the locals. This has been said numerous times

Oh boy I see the s*** hitting the fan now

Once again you don't know what you are talking about. Next week, New England is sitting down with UPS for regional negotiations. This involves eight locals and their respective Officials, and is lead up by UPS Negotiator Ken Hall.

final tok? Article #?

Is that the one that says all time spent will be paid for?

What if they make you logoff duty for 2 hours?

It was said by an indie man here that road drivers had to work to get paid. Empty trash or sweep trailers.

The paid for all time spent working clause is a catch all and can be interpreted different ways. Sitting in the breakroon is not working.

I was told that there will be no route bidding in the contract. It will be a start time bid only, though the start time must contain a description of the work at that time. This is also how the NMFA does it.

final tok? Article #?

It was said by an indie man here that road drivers had to work to get paid. Empty trash or sweep trailers.

The paid for all time spent working clause is a catch all and can be interpreted different ways. Sitting in the breakroon is not working.

You can not take or be given more than an hour lunch. That is the only on duty not paid time. according to article 30-section #1 A road driver can be instructed to take a meal period after he has been on duty for more than 3 hours. Min. 30 minutes, up to one hour. It must be at the turn around point of a set dispatch and the place must have accessible eating place. So you may have to take a lunch for at least 30 min of unpaid on duty not working time. They can not make you log off duty, unless you are out of the hours to return to your starting point. Or have a layover.

As far as working, sweeping trailers and picking up trash is work, so if it is avalible? get out the broom.

Plus, guys will network, if a non-union driver goes into a union terminal, a good steward would be prepared to make him sit unpaid and let one of the union employees do the work at the terminal. Who are the non-union guys going to compain to? Hr? There is no Hr at a union terminal. I think some of these hold outs may find themselves out of luck. Anyhow that is all in the future.

final tok? Article #?

Would someone from indie [sic] road like to comment on oversites claim ?

contract

25 years and out (no age qualifier), 7 discretionary days(since we will have to take vacation 1 week at a time), no out of pocket health care costs(no other LTL contracts have to why should we), full hourly for all time spent in service of employer, shiny wheels limited to very low percentage of freight.:1036316054: