NEMF Info

Big Jay

TB Lurker
Credits
I applied for NEMF for a linehaul position. Can anyone inform about the pay. Paid by the mile or an hour? How often do drivers get layed off every year? I been workinf for ABF for 4.5 years now,and been layed off more than I worked. You can not support your family like this. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Run away, fast. Don't look back. Run - Merry Christmas

I applied for NEMF for a linehaul position. Can anyone inform about the pay. Paid by the mile or an hour? How often do drivers get layed off every year? I been workinf for ABF for 4.5 years now,and been layed off more than I worked. You can not support your family like this. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

when i was there, we never got laid off. what would happen was all us line haul guys would head to eliz, or alb, or newb, or bethpage. there would always be some freight from those terminals going back to our place (02).

i think back then the idea was to keep everyone working and not lose any drivers, but i can be wrong about that thinking. i never did lay-overs, as i was number 3 on the list. the lower guys were supposed to do lay -overs, but i cannot tell you the cry-babies new drivers that ALWAYS HAD AN EXCUSE, like, "oh no i can't do lay overs, i got to take care of the kids when the wife goes to work" or "i can't do lay overs, i got important things to do at home".........well SCREW THEM.........if you are LOW MAN on the list, YOU DO LAY OVERS......PERIOD...........

line haul gets paid by the mile, they used to pay an hourly wage when you got to another terminal, but you had to give them like an hour or two first i think, then they said NO hourly pay when at another terminal, you work the docks, at their pay, not your home terminal pay.

all of this MIGHT have changed since i left in sept 05........

my term is making the linehaul guys still ork weekends but no linehaul layoffs here yet that is..gonna be a crappy time for any driver in the next few months or as the suits will tell you

O i can try to help you. If thier is no one else hiring and you need a job badly then go for it. Start pay is .3325 it takes 5 years to get to full scale which i am not sure what that is. you will be at .3325 for 1 year then you go up 10 percent. Then not real sure how the progression works because each area seems to have different wording in the contract. When you leave your terminal you will hook and fuel for free. When you get to a terminal to wait on a load you have to give them 45 minutes then you get a whopping 11.00 dollars an hour for the rest of the time you are thier. In the contract you dont get any money for drop and hooks till after the 2nd one of the night then you get 4.00 dollars for everyone thier after. If you get to a terminal at 0600am and go to bed and they dont get you out till midnight that night and this will happen all the time you recieve no money for waiting. Dues are 10.00 dollars a week and you have to pay a 500.00 dollar fee to get in the union which comes out 25.00 dollars a week untill paid. I will say this tho i always average 525 to 580 miles a night. Linehaul rule is not to let you go over 580 miles a night but of course if they need something that benifits them you will run 660. You will have to carry a pigtail with you just in case you pull doubles thier is not pigtails on thier dollys. You get 7.50 to hook and the same to break it dont matter if it takes you 3 hours to do it thats it. Contracts very in different areas so check yours.

O i can try to help you. If thier is no one else hiring and you need a job badly then go for it. Start pay is .3325 it takes 5 years to get to full scale which i am not sure what that is. you will be at .3325 for 1 year then you go up 10 percent. Then not real sure how the progression works because each area seems to have different wording in the contract. When you leave your terminal you will hook and fuel for free. When you get to a terminal to wait on a load you have to give them 45 minutes then you get a whopping 11.00 dollars an hour for the rest of the time you are thier. In the contract you dont get any money for drop and hooks till after the 2nd one of the night then you get 4.00 dollars for everyone thier after. If you get to a terminal at 0600am and go to bed and they dont get you out till midnight that night and this will happen all the time you recieve no money for waiting. Dues are 10.00 dollars a week and you have to pay a 500.00 dollar fee to get in the union which comes out 25.00 dollars a week untill paid. I will say this tho i always average 525 to 580 miles a night. Linehaul rule is not to let you go over 580 miles a night but of course if they need something that benifits them you will run 660. You will have to carry a pigtail with you just in case you pull doubles thier is not pigtails on thier dollys. You get 7.50 to hook and the same to break it dont matter if it takes you 3 hours to do it thats it. Contracts very in different areas so check yours.

There it is in black and white. (580*525)/2=552.2 per night X .3325= $183.71
X 5.00

Weekly gross: $918

Better than unemployment, but look around first!

There you go big jay. You have heard all about NEMF from everyone but a current NEMF employee. Well, I am next to the bottom of the seniority list of linehaulers at my term. I have not been laid off yet and I am on my 3rd year with the company. The starting pay stated by other posts is inaccurate, all TM's can negotiate a mileage rate pending on your experience and driving record, but it cannot exceed a specific percentage as stated in the terminals contract and it will take a minimum of three years to reach the top pay scale. I ran just over 250 sets of pups for the year and occassionally run into minor issues such as lites or air lines, but nothing that takes anymore the 15 to 20 minutes to repair and get moving, on the norm it takes me about 20 to 30 minutes to break a set and hook another set and be on my way to the next terminal. No matter what company you look at for a driving job, someone with have something negative to say about that company either by past employment or via the grapevine. I have learned thru the years that every job paints a green pasture, but it also has its brown spots that you discover and you learn to avoid or deal with to benefit you. As a current NEMF driver, I am satisfied with what I do and how the company treats me. The pay is not the same as when I was over the road, but i get home just about everyday and will gross mid 60's for 2009. I guess it's what you make of it, but it's a decent place to work. Good Luck.

There you go big jay. You have heard all about NEMF from everyone but a current NEMF employee. Well, I am next to the bottom of the seniority list of linehaulers at my term. I have not been laid off yet and I am on my 3rd year with the company. The starting pay stated by other posts is inaccurate, all TM's can negotiate a mileage rate pending on your experience and driving record, but it cannot exceed a specific percentage as stated in the terminals contract and it will take a minimum of three years to reach the top pay scale. I ran just over 250 sets of pups for the year and occassionally run into minor issues such as lites or air lines, but nothing that takes anymore the 15 to 20 minutes to repair and get moving, on the norm it takes me about 20 to 30 minutes to break a set and hook another set and be on my way to the next terminal. No matter what company you look at for a driving job, someone with have something negative to say about that company either by past employment or via the grapevine. I have learned thru the years that every job paints a green pasture, but it also has its brown spots that you discover and you learn to avoid or deal with to benefit you. As a current NEMF driver, I am satisfied with what I do and how the company treats me. The pay is not the same as when I was over the road, but i get home just about everyday and will gross mid 60's for 2009. I guess it's what you make of it, but it's a decent place to work. Good Luck.

I will put up or shut up..If anyone whats to pm me a fax number i will be more then happy to show anyone proof. And yes i am a current employee near the bottom of the board. Like i stated some places are different than others.

The contracts don't set a max rate for employees in progression, they set the minimum % of top rate. Why would the union hold you back in wages?

Company policy is that a jr driver doesn't make more than a higher senority driver. Tm's have some flexibility in the starting rate, not to be less than 70% of top rate.

Run away fast 413 teamster is so right I dont have the time to tell all the bad. expect to wait alot of free time will be called in at 2200 dispatched at mid 0100 or so get to next term wait hour for load free time all night so why are we at 5 % giveback linehaul gives 25% freebee every week

Run away fast 413 teamster is so right I dont have the time to tell all the bad. expect to wait alot of free time will be called in at 2200 dispatched at mid 0100 or so get to next term wait hour for load free time all night so why are we at 5 % giveback linehaul gives 25% freebee every week

Amen brother,

Welcome to Trucking Boards.

Wow,

250 sets of pups? 5 work days X 50 weeks = 250. So you average 1 set every day? Wow!! Good for you - and the shop only takes 15 minutes to make those repairs? Ace mechanics there. Also, 65k as a Junior driver? I talk to an 18 year man who's on a layover bid that you have beat by 10k!

If those conditions existed for me I would never have left NEMF.

Bravo! Enjoy 2010. Keep livin' the dream buddy. ;)

Yeah it's horrible here. All I get is a 554 mile turn every nite, work m-f, no weekends and sleep in my own bed every day. I'm on duty around 11 hrs a day, longer in bad weather. Gross over $1300 a week. I'm so miserable, some one kill me.

When I take my 2 weeks vacation every year, it's based on my weekly mileage average from the previous year, not 40 hrs of hourly rate like many other places.

This place isn't perfect, no company is. Are there better jobs? Yup. Are there worse jobs? Tons.

Every one has different standards and needs. Do what you need to do for yourself and family.

Hey Supatrkr, Hometowndummy's givin you the straight stuff. It's all in your attitude. The checks paying half way decent wages are in your bank account on time every week , the medical so far has been fairly decent and low cost. Do the dispatchers and tm's seemingly act like morons? Absolutely! Do they throw aggravation our way? You bet. What I say to you is simply, name me one company that doesn't have it's own brand of BS and I'll call you a liar. It's all in your attitude and how you deal with it. Good luck in your search.

Hey Supatrkr, Hometowndummy's givin you the straight stuff. It's all in your attitude. The checks paying half way decent wages are in your bank account on time every week , the medical so far has been fairly decent and low cost. Do the dispatchers and tm's seemingly act like morons? Absolutely! Do they throw aggravation our way? You bet. What I say to you is simply, name me one company that doesn't have it's own brand of BS and I'll call you a liar. It's all in your attitude and how you deal with it. Good luck in your search.

I am not searching for anything, I was passing on my current experience with NEMF to big jay who started this post and was hearing stories from people outside of the company. I have no issues with what I do or what I make I make for doing it. I 2nd your statement - "It's all in your attitude and how you deal with it". Good luck to big jay and his search. As for hours worked, I average 10 hours a nite and yes a jr driver can and does make more than a sr driver until they reach the top pay scale and then become even. senority covers you on layoffs and vacation time.

pay depends on terminal. different terminals negotiate different wages. harrisburgs top rate i think is .45/mile or .48. i forget