Nemf Stinks

Well in a word it comes down to a simple case of corporate greed.
Some of the smaller union LTL trucking companies that couldn't afford sticking with all that was offered their employees under the Teamsters wage,health,and welfair contract.
Teals,Howards,Central Trransport.
These are north east companies that were once union,and now are non-union.

In just a short time frame the CEO's of these companies decided they wanted out of operating under the union contract.
And that was that,they pulled out and now run their operations non-union.

When I got my first Teamsters union job way back in 1966 there were around 3500 Teamster trucking companies,now after deregulation in the early 80's you can count the union companies on one hand.

I really don't know where our industry is going anymore?

Sorry I can't comment on the topic at hand, but just hearing your accounts of all the mob and old time trucking stuff is pretty darn interesting!!!

any of you guys ever get to meet nancey shuvell? she looks pretty hot to me. probably worth a good piece of change also. i think i'm in love, and i dont even like nemf.

any of you guys ever get to meet nancey shuvell? she looks pretty hot to me. probably worth a good piece of change also. i think i'm in love, and i dont even like nemf.

SHe is all that.....And she is worth millions upon millions and she is very smart and well connected politically...She is quite the catch. But alas, she is married and her brother is a douche.

That was posted on 2/12/07. What was the arbitrator's decision?

There where "scheduling conflicts" this matter has yet to go before an arbitrator.

Interestingly enough, when you dial 800-524-0598 (NEMF Central Dispatch) the recording now says "welcome to the Shevell group of companies" then launches into a diatribe on Eastern Freightways.

Previously only NEMF propoganda was on this recorded message.

Damage contoll? Maybe

I just wanted to correct one mistatement.Having worked for Eastern Frt back in 1972.Eastern bought ASssociated transport and its huge dept load not the otherway around thats what killed Eastern.The fly bought the elephant and got crushed.Also both brothers and the mother owned eastern,not that it matters now.

Thanks a lot for setting the record straight,on the Eastern Associated buy-out,luck7.

I was a city driver for Hall's Motor Transit at the time that this took place.
I didn't really pay attention to who bought who.
But the real shocker was that it wasn't long after this merger the whole works closed up.

They were the largest LTL trucking operation in the country,and just like that they were out of business.

All of us Teamster drivers were very surprised that a union trucking company as big as they were was going under.

If we only knew then what we know now,we'd of all been aplying at Yellow for work.
Insted of floating from union LTL companies that weren't going to make it.
This is what happened to me,and thats why I gave up my union card to hire on with Overnite,21 years ago.

If we only knew then what we know now,we'd of all been aplying at Yellow for work.
Insted of floating from union LTL companies that weren't going to make it.
This is what happened to me,and thats why I gave up my union card to hire on with Overnite,21 years ago.

How true, If we only knew then. But I think that the guys that really lucked out are the younger drivers that hired on at Overnite before the UPS buyout. After the contract is settled I think that they will have a good job with a very good future

At this time, to the best of my knowledge, everyone who was on layoff has been called back to work. Some of those who were called back had already found work elsewhere, so they did not return.
When people ask questions like "What kind
of a Union would allow this to go on", they are understandably upset about the situation.
I am a Shop Stewart in this Union and
proud of it. I can say that this Union will
respond to any unfair or illegal actions that
the Employer may take. It's is incumbent on
all of the Union workers, through their Shop
Stewards, to voice their objections and
constructive opinions on how we need
to address those things that bother us.
If there are any violations of our Contactual Rights, we need to know about it and go after it immediately. If there is new
contractual language needed to protect our
rights, the Stewards can ask for it in our next round of Contract Negotiations.
Ask your Shop Stewards if they are participating in the Monthly Steward Committee meetings. If not, let them E-Mail
me at [email protected] and I will assist them.
I work for NEMF for 12 years and I have
earned a good living here. I have been able to
maintain a middle class life style with a nice
house in a suburban setting. I have put 2 children through college and the third one is in the process. Please don't bash the Company and please don't bash my Union. There's and old saying "You don't know what you've got till it's gone" that's very
appropriate here. Work with me and the rest
of your Shop Stewards to make a good thing better, not to tear it down.:chairshot:

Carrier and Eastern are pulling linehaul for several reasons:

1) NEMF, when they had their first lay offs in Q4 2006, most of the dirvers, when called back, did not go back to work, leaving NEMF now extremely shorthanded in line haul.
2) NEMF pays Carrier and Eastern very well to pull line haul.
3) Business demands at Carrier & Eastern allow them to provide NEMF with driver and power on certain days and in certain lanes.
4) The expansion to the West has given TSG several challenges especially in the area of line haul so that the points in the west can satisfy the two day delivery agreements we have with our customers. There are many Eastern drivers in PIT who hand off east/west within the system.
5) If the company, TSG, is going to grow to be a $1B organization, systems and ways of doing business need to change. There is a real battle internally about this change; because people (whether you are a driver or a salesman) are afraid/resistant of/to change and the disrution of your normal routine and interactions.

I deal with change every day in my role at TSG. Yes, it does become very frustrating at times but my role to secure freight so you guys can move it. Sometimes the internal BS can ****** the successes in the field, but that is all being addressed at the highest levels.

If you want the truth about what is going on internally and if I have the answer, I will give it to you.

Carrier and Eastern are pulling linehaul for several reasons:

1) NEMF, when they had their first lay offs in Q4 2006, most of the dirvers, when called back, did not go back to work, leaving NEMF now extremely shorthanded in line haul.

Can you blame them for not returning to a company that would lay them off & replace them with non union workers at a cheaper rate, in violation of their union contract.

Do you thing that they should have been loyal to a company that showed such disloyalty to the same workers that helped build NEMF into what it is today?

IMO NEMF should have shown their loyalty to their own workers rather than to the Carrier & Eastern workers. Let them do their own work.

Unanswered Question

logisticnyc. When we last heard from you 6 months ago you never did reply to my questioning you about your giving MS a free pass with his mob dealings.
Since I do not work directly for NEMF, I can not comment on driver pay scale. I can comment on the NEMF union situation...
The bother of the leader of the Teamster local (I believe 529) did work for NEMF, at one time. A deal was made and the Teamsters went away. Dont blame MS, business is business and God forbid that a union leader may not take into account what is best for his local but for himself....
You have got to be kidding "Don't blame MS business is business" He was in bed with the mob. He is the one who paid off the Genoviese crime family to get NEMF out of Teamsters NMFA & into a sweetheart contract with the machinist union

It was local 560 & Tony Pro was the union leader who's brother worked for NEMF.

Blame the mob & the owner!!

Do you still think that it was okay to pay off the mob in order to intimidate his employees into acceping a substandard contract?

logisticsnyc,
if you are in sales , how do you know
so much about what is going on at the
you seem to know alot about the ceo
rumor (another thread)
how do you get this kind of info

The Freight is Shevell Groups pulled by Shevell Group employees.

Try and spin it any way you want, but the trucks still say NEMF, the freight is routed NEMF & shipper's freight bills are made out to NEMF.
"The Shevell Group" made its fortune off of the hard work done by the dedicated NEMF workers. I have yet to see a truck or driver thats called "The Shevell Group"