NEMF Turning down tractors to 65mph

ganis

TB Lurker
Credits
I just wanted to make some observations about the Company's recent decision to turn the Tractors down to 65 mph in the hopes that everyone posts a lot of honest and mature comments for our Management to read.
To begin with, when I first started driving full-time for the Company in 1997, the majority of the tractors (those with Computer controls available) were turned down to 59-60 mph, but left the cruise control enabled. All of our trucks at that point were manual transmissions. We had some "R" macks that were still being used for Line Haul and some cabover macks, these had no computer control available in them (1970's era) so they were cabable of 75-80 mph on the open road.
I just had a breakfast with some of the Line Haul men in our Terminal that are more senior than I am. They told me of a short period, when I was working as a dock supervisor 94-97, when the Company actually turned the trucks down to 55 mph!
Regarding the cruise control, we have been told that management believes that having cruise-control available, in conjunction with an automatic transmission, leads to or causes more severe accidents, because some drivers have fallen asleep behind the wheel.
The manual transmission tractors are being turned down to 65 mph, but the cruise control is left enabled.
I want to state "for the record" that I am vehemently opposed to "turning off" cruise
control. I don't suppose there are any scientific studys that anyone can point to, to confirm their belief that it causes drivers to fall asleep? If their are, I wish someone would show them/it to me; I'd love to read
it.
Cruise control does not cause accidents!
Drivers fall asleep behind the wheel because they are not properly rested before coming to work, and/or they are not observing the proper safety procedures while working, so as to prevent drowsiness. Finally, if you're feeling sleepy, pull over and take a nap!
Regarding the setting of the truck speed.
I'm sorry but I have to side with Management if they wish to attempt to save some money on the fuel. I also believe that 65 mph is sufficient to do our job and make a full night of pay.
Regarding the cruise control question,
I wish to direct these questions to all those
making these decisions.
a.) Isn't the best fuel economy accomplished
using the cruside control on the open
road?
b.) How is a manual transmission different
from an automatic transmission, in terms
of possibility of falling asleep behind the
wheel while cruise control is being used?

There you have it. I hope some others will add their comments to this thread. I have talked to management about the cruise control issue in the past, but it was a waste of time. They are convinced that they are right, until something else (other than a steering-wheel holder) can disprove their
contentions.
What do you think folks? G. Anis

Mr.G. Anis,

i had worked out of 02, and my first tractor was a manual. then later, i was given one of the mack twin screws with the automatic. MY cruise control was enabled till the day i left. some though, were not, as the trucks went to Jersey for whatever reason, and left there, then the cruise controls were dis-abled. needless to say, i was one of the "lucky ones".

i don't suppose many of the guys pay attention to this, but you know what...the throttle pedal CAN BE QUITE HEAVY AT TIMES......even for the "drive by wire" throttles. I DID notice this in some of the other automatics, and it made no difference, single axle or twin screw either.

so to have the cruise control shut off can really tire a person's leg real quick. and YES, using cruise control DOES save fuel as the fuel being delivered is constant, and not wavering either from a heavy to hold down throttle or jsut constant holding down of the throttle for long distances.

i can too see why cutting back the engines will save fuel, but so does NO IDLING.....>!! i'll bet you dollars to donuts, the P&D drivers still idle the engines at thier stops, at the coffee shop, where ever...

and i'll continue to bet, so do linehaul driver......i know i did.....each year, the "old man" (or whomever), comes out with, things like, "instead of taking exit blah-blah, take a different exit, as the tolls cost money", etc,etc....

so, for the most part, some of what "someone" is saying on the top level, is the same ol', same ol' rhetoric..........

BUT, i do agree with you (and anyone else) that shutting off the cruise control is stupid. a tired driver will just as easily crash a truck cruise controlled or not.....:smilie_132:

Idling is a huge waste of fuel. It's a habit that dates back to the old days of gelling diesel fuel but isn't needed anymore because of fuel additives.

Don't you guys have automatic shut-downs after a certain amount of time idling.....say 5 minutes.

Idling is a huge waste of fuel. It's a habit that dates back to the old days of gelling diesel fuel but isn't needed anymore because of fuel additives.

Don't you guys have automatic shut-downs after a certain amount of time idling.....say 5 minutes.

yes, those trucks have automatic shutdowns after idling for a period of time.

At the price of fuel today...you have got to have them.

Any word on how NEMF is doing in their new Ohio terminals. Word on the street is not very good.

Not surprising since the Ohio economy stinks.

At jevic they already have started turning down everything except team trucks, they will run 70mph, everything else is going to 65
idle time is 3 minutes, unless your over ride is still operative, the fuel reports on road units comming in is less mpg after the turn down.
Were fighting with management also on this issue,

good luck!

None of our trucks that I have driven have auto shut down, but I know there are some that do (20 mins), but I'd say most don't.

Great now this will add an extra half hour to my already 12+ hour long day. At least they aren't going to 62 like they just did with Con-Way.

At the price of fuel today...you have got to have them.

Any word on how NEMF is doing in their new Ohio terminals. Word on the street is not very good.

Not surprising since the Ohio economy stinks.

On the contrary, our Ohio terminals are doing extremely well. They are generating steady and continueous outbound business. The problem we are encountering is the same problem the Industry has suffered for many years. We have a "Lane Imbalance".
Historically, there has always been more eastbound freight than westbound. National carriers like YRC and ABF are able to deal with it better because they have larger terminal networks and can run more relay trailers through the area, on the way to the west coast. Regional carriers like we are have to be a little more creative.
Some of you must have noticed that there are "system" drivers from the east being sent into Ohio on bed trips lately. This is no accident. Management is dealing with the lane imbalance problem as best they can.
Nobody should be alarmed at this. The slow period is coming to an end now. Provided the economy cooperates with us, things should start to pickup and the Company should be able to generate more westbound freight to deal with this problem.:1036316054:

i am reading in some of my trucking magazines that turning down the engines is going on all over the place these days.

I agree with the turndown but disagree with removing cruise. When you turn off the cruise you increase driver exhaustion. By riding on the big roads with your foot mashed on the accelerator and consistantly changing speeds how much fuel are you actually saving. With cruise you stay at a constant speed and the driver is more alert.

I agree with the turndown but disagree with removing cruise. When you turn off the cruise you increase driver exhaustion. By riding on the big roads with your foot mashed on the accelerator and consistantly changing speeds how much fuel are you actually saving. With cruise you stay at a constant speed and the driver is more alert.

I tore my MCL and sprained my ACL in my right knee about 6 years ago.. damn thing still pains me every once in awhile. When i've had to take trucks without cruise, my knee is throbbing at the end of the night from mashing the pedal down.. ouch.

they are starting to turn down the tractors over here in cincinnati. nemf is taking out the cruise. That i don't understand.