NEMF Turning down tractors to 65mph

they are starting to turn down the tractors over here in cincinnati. nemf is taking out the cruise. That i don't understand.

I'm sure the flat response from management would be "safety." Pffftt...

No one seems to remember that the worst crash in NEMF history, involved a truck that was traveling at 62 mph at impact and it was not equipped with cruise control.. But yes.. safety and such.. huzzah!

I just wanted to make some observations about the Company's recent decision to turn the Tractors down to 65 mph in the hopes that everyone posts a lot of honest and mature comments for our Management to read.
To begin with, when I first started driving full-time for the Company in 1997, the majority of the tractors (those with Computer controls available) were turned down to 59-60 mph, but left the cruise control enabled. All of our trucks at that point were manual transmissions. We had some "R" macks that were still being used for Line Haul and some cabover macks, these had no computer control available in them (1970's era) so they were cabable of 75-80 mph on the open road.
I just had a breakfast with some of the Line Haul men in our Terminal that are more senior than I am. They told me of a short period, when I was working as a dock supervisor 94-97, when the Company actually turned the trucks down to 55 mph!
Regarding the cruise control, we have been told that management believes that having cruise-control available, in conjunction with an automatic transmission, leads to or causes more severe accidents, because some drivers have fallen asleep behind the wheel.
The manual transmission tractors are being turned down to 65 mph, but the cruise control is left enabled.
I want to state "for the record" that I am vehemently opposed to "turning off" cruise
control. I don't suppose there are any scientific studys that anyone can point to, to confirm their belief that it causes drivers to fall asleep? If their are, I wish someone would show them/it to me; I'd love to read
it.
Cruise control does not cause accidents!
Drivers fall asleep behind the wheel because they are not properly rested before coming to work, and/or they are not observing the proper safety procedures while working, so as to prevent drowsiness. Finally, if you're feeling sleepy, pull over and take a nap!
Regarding the setting of the truck speed.
I'm sorry but I have to side with Management if they wish to attempt to save some money on the fuel. I also believe that 65 mph is sufficient to do our job and make a full night of pay.
Regarding the cruise control question,
I wish to direct these questions to all those
making these decisions.
a.) Isn't the best fuel economy accomplished
using the cruside control on the open
road?
b.) How is a manual transmission different
from an automatic transmission, in terms
of possibility of falling asleep behind the
wheel while cruise control is being used?

There you have it. I hope some others will add their comments to this thread. I have talked to management about the cruise control issue in the past, but it was a waste of time. They are convinced that they are right, until something else (other than a steering-wheel holder) can disprove their
contentions.
What do you think folks? G. Anis
Well, being a Conway Freight night linehaul driver, I feel your pain/concerns. But don't feel too bad, we got ours turned down to 62 MPH(Most of them 61 MPH). At least now I can hang out with you guys a little bit longer on the big roads. See you all soon. Be safe.:1036316054:

I want to state "for the record" that I am vehemently opposed to "turning off" cruise control. I don't suppose there are any scientific studys that anyone can point to, to confirm their belief that it causes drivers to fall asleep? If their are, I wish someone would show them/it to me; I'd love to read it. Cruise control does not cause accidents!
Drivers fall asleep behind the wheel because they are not properly rested before coming to work, and/or they are not observing the proper safety procedures while working, so as to prevent drowsiness. Finally, if you're feeling sleepy, pull over and take a nap!

Yes. Give this man a beer. Dont ever try to explain this to anyone who makes the decisions though, they will give you a blank stare because your making way too much sense.

Regarding the setting of the truck speed.
I'm sorry but I have to side with Management if they wish to attempt to save some money on the fuel. I also believe that 65 mph is sufficient to do our job and make a full night of pay.

Doesnt going 65 kill just as much as going 68?

As far as "sufficent to do our job," losing that 3mph will cost me 30mins a night, base. When you add that 30mins to hitting rush hour traffic (because your getting back later), 30mins turns into an hour. Which will screw up my day, everyday, and cause freight to get back later, which will make the city guys leave later, which will delay my start time that night.

Regarding the cruise control question,
I wish to direct these questions to all those
making these decisions.
a.) Isn't the best fuel economy accomplished
using the cruside control on the open
road?

Yes. Every fuel economy guru in the world is telling us to use our cruise control as much as possible to increase mileage.

From Edmunds.com;
Using cruise control is a bit of gas-saving advice frequently on tips lists. We have always agreed with this tip in theory but we hadn't expected such significant results. First, it smoothes out the driver's accelerator input by preventing nervous "surging." Second, it makes the driver take the long view of the road rather than reacting to every change in the traffic around them.

b.) How is a manual transmission different
from an automatic transmission, in terms
of possibility of falling asleep behind the
wheel while cruise control is being used?

As I have said before, the worst fatal crash caused by an NEMF truck was going 62 mph at impact and was an automatic not equipped with cruise control.

Another point I would like to make is I use my cruise control constantly in order to avoid getting a ticket. When moving with traffic, you have a tendency to speed and not even know it (see "nervous surging" above) You can save yourself a ticket by setting the cruise control at or around the posted limit and not worry about it.

I also like having my cruise control during the winter... As I have said, you have a tendency to speed up and not realize it. When the road conditions are dangerous, every guy I know (the smart ones) sets the cruise way below the speed limit (say around 52-58). Thus you avoid going too fast or too slow (keeping up with traffic wise), and avoid the "jerky" movements on the pedal, which can cause you to jackknife in icy conditions.

But again, we should just shut up because we're only dumb truck drivers and dont understand what happens out on the road.

I appreciate your input and intelligent comments. I know what you mean about adding 1/2 hour to your work day. You are correct, it adds some time to an already long day; but realistically they would respond with cutting your miles if you feel it's too long, not turning the trucks back up. I think this part of it we just have to live with.:Bondage: