Never seen this before

Discussion in 'Consolidated Freightways' started by CFer, Nov 12, 2007.

1. CFer

CFer Active Member

In my 15 years at CF I never saw anything like this. I never even saw pintle hooks on any of the long trailers.

Does anyone know which part of the country used the big doubles?

[​IMG]

2. imported_sunny

imported_sunny New Member

Florida

Dont remember the trailer series but they did have pintle hooks. Also tractors were equipped with larger engines

3. TheBigR

TheBigR Member

Weren't they starting to bring the big doubles up out of Florida to run out of Buffalo New York? I remember something about they were going to start running them to New England like Roadway does now. Roadway used to run them years ago, early 70's, but I don't remeber CF doing it.

4. Stimpy

Stimpy Wingnut

Wouldn’t you need a tandem axle dollies for the big boxes? We had a guy hook up four pups to one truck for picture purposes. Maybe that is what this picture is about, to make you wonder.

5. cityman

cityman Member

Double 48's were used in Florida on a daily basis. The 79 series trailers were used for this operation with a single axle dolly. Before the shutdown alot of these trailers were sent to Buffalo Ny to run the NYS thruway.

6. SQUARE HEAD

SQUARE HEAD Member

they run these or should i say other companies run these on the ohio turnpike and pa pike and/ny pike

7. CFer

CFer Active Member

I know other companies run them. I had just never seen CF do it.

8. Trucking Green

Trucking Green Driving my life away ....

these are called turn pike dbls they use these in co, ut okc. but never seen one with a single axl maybe they where moving these trailer around in the yard i think you are to only use a tandem axl on 48 ft trailers i may be wrong...

9. StewieGriffin

StewieGriffin Member

no you don't. as long as it scales it's fine. the thru way doubles (48' trailers) dollies are larger than a typical pup dolly tho. i see NEMF and RTC (mail contractor) using single axle thru way doubles dollies all the time.

10. StewieGriffin

StewieGriffin Member

you've never seen them on the pa pike. not allowed. IN, OH, NY and other toll roads that i don't go to in the northeast.

11. excfman

excfman Active Member

lol they sure didn't come to knoxville can't see them run 75 and 40 up and down are hills

12. Fish

Fish Member

When should we expect to see NEMF pulling the big boxes across the tunpike?

13. StewieGriffin

StewieGriffin Member

long time if ever. you gotta get all the permits, which cant be cheap. until they expand more in the midwest, don't see it being economical. plus they'd prolly want a break bulk in the northwest indiana somewhere to build all these sets. if they ever do it, i'll throw my name in that hat, looks like fun.

14. Fish

Fish Member

at Fedex we use the drop pad in Hammond our hub is in Chicago Hgts that we come in and out of

15. Infidel

Infidel Active Member

One of those tractors made it up to Milwaukee after it was well broken in. Until that time I didn't relize that the numbers went above 30-36. I think the number was 30-40something. I drove it one day and if I recall correctly it had twin screws as opposed to the usual air tag. And it also had a 10 speed transmission verses the normal 7.

16. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Active Member

They used these in Florida on the turnpike also. The trailers were 79 series and when they took them out of the double service they changed to a 379 number. They used a single axle dolly and they also had double axle ones. They used to pull them out of Orlando Fl. down to Ft Lauderdale and Miami.

17. park5969

park5969 Member

In my 15 years at CF I never saw anything like this. I never even saw pintle hooks on any of the long trailers.

18. park5969

park5969 Member

19. park5969

park5969 Member

CFer

I posted the picture of the Turnpike Doubles on the CF Kansas City CF Reunion Web Site.It was taken in on the Drop Pad I-4 and The Florida Turnpike.The tractors had 430 Detroit Engines with 10 speed transmissions.Like Big Daddy said they were used to run between Orlando And Miami.CF used the single axle Dollys because Florida has a high weight per axle limit.Cf did have 15 tandem axle dollys.I ran a bid from Atlanta
    to Orlando for 6 years three times a week and drove all of the 30 series Turn Pike tractors.There was on of them that would run 73 MPH.Several times I pulled tandem Dollys back to Atlanta with a regular set of 28 ft pups.I never got to pull a set Turnpike Doubles,all though I did pull triples on the Ohio Indiana turnpike for 5 years.

Steve

20. wishy-washy

wishy-washy Member

We ran long doubles out of Buffalo Ny terminal right up till closing time. Buffalo to Boston every night