Never seen this before

CFer

TB Veteran
Credits
In my 15 years at CF I never saw anything like this. I never even saw pintle hooks on any of the long trailers.

Does anyone know which part of the country used the big doubles?

CFTurnpikeDoubles-full.jpg

In my 15 years at CF I never saw anything like this. I never even saw pintle hooks on any of the long trailers.

CFTurnpikeDoubles-full.jpg

Florida

Dont remember the trailer series but they did have pintle hooks. Also tractors were equipped with larger engines

Weren't they starting to bring the big doubles up out of Florida to run out of Buffalo New York? I remember something about they were going to start running them to New England like Roadway does now. Roadway used to run them years ago, early 70's, but I don't remeber CF doing it.

Wouldn’t you need a tandem axle dollies for the big boxes? We had a guy hook up four pups to one truck for picture purposes. Maybe that is what this picture is about, to make you wonder.

Double 48's were used in Florida on a daily basis. The 79 series trailers were used for this operation with a single axle dolly. Before the shutdown alot of these trailers were sent to Buffalo Ny to run the NYS thruway.

these are called turn pike dbls they use these in co, ut okc. but never seen one with a single axl maybe they where moving these trailer around in the yard i think you are to only use a tandem axl on 48 ft trailers i may be wrong...

Wouldn’t you need a tandem axle dollies for the big boxes?

no you don't. as long as it scales it's fine. the thru way doubles (48' trailers) dollies are larger than a typical pup dolly tho. i see NEMF and RTC (mail contractor) using single axle thru way doubles dollies all the time.

When should we expect to see NEMF pulling the big boxes across the tunpike?

long time if ever. you gotta get all the permits, which cant be cheap. until they expand more in the midwest, don't see it being economical. plus they'd prolly want a break bulk in the northwest indiana somewhere to build all these sets. if they ever do it, i'll throw my name in that hat, looks like fun.

long time if ever. you gotta get all the permits, which cant be cheap. until they expand more in the midwest, don't see it being economical. plus they'd prolly want a break bulk in the northwest indiana somewhere to build all these sets. if they ever do it, i'll throw my name in that hat, looks like fun.

at Fedex we use the drop pad in Hammond our hub is in Chicago Hgts that we come in and out of

One of those tractors made it up to Milwaukee after it was well broken in. Until that time I didn't relize that the numbers went above 30-36. I think the number was 30-40something. I drove it one day and if I recall correctly it had twin screws as opposed to the usual air tag. And it also had a 10 speed transmission verses the normal 7.

They used these in Florida on the turnpike also. The trailers were 79 series and when they took them out of the double service they changed to a 379 number. They used a single axle dolly and they also had double axle ones. They used to pull them out of Orlando Fl. down to Ft Lauderdale and Miami.

CFer

I posted the picture of the Turnpike Doubles on the CF Kansas City CF Reunion Web Site.It was taken in on the Drop Pad I-4 and The Florida Turnpike.The tractors had 430 Detroit Engines with 10 speed transmissions.Like Big Daddy said they were used to run between Orlando And Miami.CF used the single axle Dollys because Florida has a high weight per axle limit.Cf did have 15 tandem axle dollys.I ran a bid from Atlanta
to Orlando for 6 years three times a week and drove all of the 30 series Turn Pike tractors.There was on of them that would run 73 MPH.Several times I pulled tandem Dollys back to Atlanta with a regular set of 28 ft pups.I never got to pull a set Turnpike Doubles,all though I did pull triples on the Ohio Indiana turnpike for 5 years.

Steve