never stand still

Discussion in 'Consolidated Freightways' started by excfman, Sep 16, 2009.

1. excfman

excfman Active Member

if any of you can get your hands on that book get it and read it. if your a cf person you really need to read it. i think it will really help some under stand why we are out of business today. there a lot things in it that surprise me and a lot that didn't.i don't there was one thing that surprise after 1982. but 1929 to the early 70s they did something that will really surprise you.

2. Stimpy

Stimpy Wingnut

Ok... I bite!!!! What will surprise me??? I don't have a copy of the book.

3. excfman

excfman Active Member

stimpy you need to read it there just to much to tell. there one part about how 1955 cf and roadway almost merge how the early 50's the ceo at the time name Sneed did his best to buy smith and ryder. i work for cf for over 25years i didn't know about ryder smith roadway deal. lot's of history there. hope that helps a little . i don't think you will be disappointed with the book.

4. Stimpy

Stimpy Wingnut

I think one of my x-CF friend (still a friend) and x-driver has a copy of the book, I will have to borrow it from him and check it out. He too had the same thing happen to him as me with the closure of Holland in Erie... :ranting2:who says lightning doesn't strike twice.:TR10driving03:I did not know about the mergers you talked about either... :deal:sounds like some interesting reading.:smilie_132:

5. usmck1

usmck1 Member

found the book on amazon.com..cheapest I found is 40.00 and goes all the up to 90 bucks

6. Stimpy

Stimpy Wingnut

For us unemployed ones it is cheaper to borrow... but thanks for looking!!!!

7. excfman

excfman Active Member

usmc2k1 stimpy i'd call your loacl libraries or go by one that how i got my hands on one .once i started to read it i didn't want to put it down i fiinsh mine in three days around 500 pages. hope that helps both of you.

8. Stimpy

Stimpy Wingnut

Great idea!!!:thumbsup::waycool:

9. excfman

excfman Active Member

if they ask about the writer his name is Kenneth D Durr. it might take a little bit for you to get one. it took about three weeks for me they had the ship one in for me.

10. longtimeltl

longtimeltl Retired and Happy!

:hide: I just went through my old posts and found the one where I posted on this forum about " Never Stand Still ".
    I got my butt chewed a little, and was told to go back to my own forum, but in the end, it was worth it!
    I bought my copy on E-Bay, and could not stop reading.
    I took it to work with me, and read a few pages at each stop.
    I read it at home in the evening, and on the crapper each day.
    When I finally finished it, I started over and read it again!
    There are some amazing events in that book!
    I have 2 copies, and if any body wants to borrow one, PM me and I will send one to you.
    Media mail is cheap.
    If there are other people who want to read it, maybe we can just mail it from one to another.
    excfman, if my memory serves me correctly, I offered to mail the book to you, glad you got a copy!
    I am serious, if anybody wants to read it, I will mail it to them on the honor system. Longtimeltl. :smilie_132:

11. excfman

excfman Active Member

i know there was a post some where one here about that book and i wish i had took you up on a that loan a long time a go.I'm like you everyone needs to read that book one time.how about that I.R.S. check they got back in the 60's and that's only thing that kept them from closing there doors. you think you know about cf but you don't.i know as soon as started the book i was i thinking this might be 2009 but it sure sounds like 1929 the way the carries do and act. and the day is coming that they will spin con-way off same way.

12. excfman

excfman Active Member

i can see a new thread here just talking the history of cf

13. Dockworker

Dockworker Super Moderator Staff Member

The book was an awesome read.
    I got my brand new copy from the publisher for 19.00.
    After it got sold out and became very very hard to fine, it was on Ebay for 700-900 dollars. It has since went down dramatically in price.

If anyone can get themselves a copy, snag it and hang on to it.

Never Stand Still

14. IBaCFer

IBaCFer Member

I got a copy of the book. Haven't had time to read it yet. I'll let ya know what I think when I'm done..

15. excfman

excfman Active Member

your going to be surprise about a lot of things in that book. i didn't want to put it down. i think it a must read book for all of us. but it didn't change my thinking about one company.

16. IBaCFer

IBaCFer Member

I am back in school at age 50+ so I'm a little busy now. However, I do have to read a book for an English class and do a book report. I think I just found my book. The report is due by Dec. 1. I'll try to post a copy of the report when I'm done.

17. Headnut

Headnut New Member

longtimeltl
    Please pm me about the book never stand alone.
    Thanks
    William Wright

18. Stimpy

Stimpy Wingnut

How did that book report turn out???????:smilie_132:

19. IBaCFer

IBaCFer Member

Still reading...

20. Stimpy

Stimpy Wingnut

Maybe you should get that book on tape it will be a faster read!!!!!!!!!!:biglaugh: Just joking!!!