ABF | New 17 Tractors

Mr.Happy

TB Lurker
Credits
I was just noticing that these new 17's say to use only ulta low sulfer fuel and at the pumps at the fuel barn they say low sulfer deisel I was just wondering if this would cause any problems with this new motor:smilie_132:

Ultra Low Sulphur Fuel

The new fuel (Ultra Low Sulphur), has 15 parts per million sulphur or less. The former low sulphur fuel had 500 parts per million or less, that wasn't very much sulphur. The ultra low sulphur fuel became available late last year as the former fuel was being phased out. I don't know of any refiner that has sold anything but the ultra low since the first of the year. There shouldn't be anything but the ultra low in the storage tanks by now.
The new engines require the ultra low fuel because of the catalytic converters (mufflers). Units 17300 & up have the 07 engines.
An interesting thing is that the ultra low has been cleaning the storage tanks & plumbing from tanks that had the older fuel stored. If you look at the Davco fuel separators you will see a black residue on the filters. That is what had accumulated from the older fuel.
The fuel mileage is not as good with the ultra low, (2 to 3 percent less). Combine the lower fuel mileage & the added costs of the 07 engines & you see how costly this is to the trucking industry.
The politicians were told about ten years ago how much this was going cost the consumer but they chose to go ahead with the new emission standards.
Politicians know what is best for us.

I know this is off topic,but I,m going to be moving soon and I was hoping some of you fine upstanding ABF employees could help me out.I heard ABF will drop a pup at your house and let you load it,and then they will take it to your new house.Is this true?If so,what would it cost for a move of about 1,100 miles?Any information you guys may be able to provide will be greatly appreciated. :1036316054:

I know this is off topic,but I,m going to be moving soon and I was hoping some of you fine upstanding ABF employees could help me out.I heard ABF will drop a pup at your house and let you load it,and then they will take it to your new house.Is this true?If so,what would it cost for a move of about 1,100 miles?Any information you guys may be able to provide will be greatly appreciated. :1036316054:

Check out www.upack.com . The answers to all your questions are there. Good luck with the move.:1036316054:

It might be nice to drive the new 17s, but do ya think we might be able to get them ot of the yard service befor they get the crap beaten out of them?

It might be nice to drive the new 17s, but do ya think we might be able to get them ot of the yard service befor they get the crap beaten out of them?

Yea I know where you are coming from mikey I don't undrestand why some of theses guy's think they have to tear up the equipment:ranting:

We have had several reports of a 17300 series tractor exploding burning and eventually killing the driver. Does anyoone know this to be true?

Tractor Fire

I heard there was a tractor that caught on fire after an accident & the driver died a short time later. I heard that it was around the K.C. area. I can't verify any of it so it's just a rumor now.

Accident

I heard today that the accident was in Kentucky in a construction zone. I first heard that it was around the K.C. area. Rumors are plentiful after an accident. I still don't know the facts.

Accidents/Deaths

I heard today that two drivers died last week from burns/accidents. The one in Kentucky & one a few days earlier in the Wytheville/Carolina area, this one involved ABF & another vehicle. The one in Kentucky was a single vehicle accident. I don't know any more details at this time.
This thread has gotten off topic but people are concerned about the deaths.

Isnt it wonderful that we never get the story from the company? I wonder if we really will know how damn dangerous these wannabe fords are? I have written up dozens of them and guess what? The company does not fix problems that they dont deem necessary. They just keep the falling apart junk running. :chairshot: :chairshot:

Isnt it wonderful that we never get the story from the company? I wonder if we really will know how damn dangerous these wannabe fords are? I have written up dozens of them and guess what? The company does not fix problems that they dont deem necessary. They just keep the falling apart junk running. :chairshot: :chairshot:

AMEN brother, I have written up several dozen, and guess what? None have seen the inside of the shop since new. I'll bet a nice roadside inspection by the DOT might get their attention.

Well, you guys might as well know the truth. ABF is not in business to fix trucks, just keep 'um running 'til trade in.
One of our guys here had an engine problem with a 17400 series, wrote it up, and guess what happened? I was dispatched on 2 more relays before somebody took it to a shop. Dont drive um without a clear previous VCR. I wont risk my life driving a truck needing a red tag.

Dang!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For a company thats not in business to fix trucks we sure do fix a heck of a lot of them at the shop at 086!, in fact there were 39 trucks on the deadline for repairs when I left there at 7:00am this morning

For a company thats not in business to fix trucks we sure do fix a heck of a lot of them at the shop at 086!, in fact there were 39 trucks on the deadline for repairs when I left there at 7:00am this morning

I am certainly not disputing what you guys do there, but it really is frustrating to see trucks that have been written up for various reasons, including safety reasons, go out the gate loaded on a 500 mile trip. Our mechanics are the best in the business, the problem comes in managing to get them to the shop.

ABF is not in business to fix trucks, just keep 'um running 'til trade in

Besides that was told to one of our drivers in an undisclosed terminal location, by some shop manager.

This is certainly no reflection on our highly regarded maintenance technicians.

Anybody tell me how a truck with a write up made it from Charotte to Salt Lake City, via dayton chicago omaha and cheyenne, before finding a wrench?

Oh i guess their 'major shop" rule comes into play here. It needs to go to winnapeg or where ever they build this :nutkick:

A better question would be..............

.........how do SOOOOOOOOO many drivers from SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many locations agree to drive a truck in SOOOOOOOOOO bad a shape?

Me thinks the original writer may have been SOOOOOOOOOOOOO full of $%@!