ABF | New 17 Tractors

I dunno grease, but I wish the guy who buys these tractors would drive one on a 450 mile trip. Check with safety. The one I last posed on was reported there.

The last post about the Charlotte to SLC really happened. Safety got involved in that one.

Heres a suggestion. I wish the guy who bus these trucks would drive one with about 300,000 miles on it for the average 460 mile trip, for the required six tours, before ordering new equipment.

I hope you guys are talking about those new green spotting horses we have in chicago. I aint never drove one, but you'll see about 15 or 20 overnight with yard guys sleeping in them. Their supervisor is on surveilance duty across the street at the all night "cafe".
If anyone has seen new road units please call it to my attention.:smilie_132:

.........how do SOOOOOOOOO many drivers from SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many locations agree to drive a truck in SOOOOOOOOOO bad a shape?

Me thinks the original writer may have been SOOOOOOOOOOOOO full of $%@!

Have you heard anything of a ruling from the DOT in ATL that these so called "all position" tires are not going to be allowed on the steer axle? I heard that from an 086 driver in Cookeville yesterday.

You know its really nice that ABF rotates their fleet every 36 months, and saves them a ton of money in the long run. But I've really got to tell you that there needs some improvement in the design and specifications or I really will need to retire about 15 years ahead of schedule. We are really getting the living crap beaten out of us with these short wheelbases, cheap seats and the suspensions are treacherous.
I am really surprised that there havent been more bodily injuries from diving these sterlings.
Any body else notice this, or am I just getting too old?

Yea i think its true that they let u load the trailer, then they pick it up when its loaded and drive it to where u want it to go, because at the last place i lived at, it had a dock and abf backed up to it and dropped the trailer for a few days and i heard people loading it up, then a few days later it was gone.

Mikey. You're getting too old!:biglaugh: Just kidding. I believe that the trucks have improved significantly in the short time I have been here. It seems to me like they are making an effort and have been hearing some of our input. I think that they will always buy about the cheapest thing out there. I've come to expect that. What union carrier doesn't? But when you look how these trucks get treated by a lot of folks. If I were a company man, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to turn the pigs loose out on the green at the country club.
I was just wondering how many people have had to regenerate these '07 engines already? I've only had one. But it only had 19,000 miles on it. I was told that if they were properly maintained. Most of them wouldn't need a parked regeneration until 200,000 miles.

I was just wondering how many people have had to regenerate these '07 engines already? I've only had one. But it only had 19,000 miles on it. I was told that if they were properly maintained. Most of them wouldn't need a parked regeneration until 200,000 miles.
I've had 2 of them, one was on my way home and it wasn't convenient to stop so I kept driving. I was 45 minutes from home and the light came on, but I made it in ok. The other week I had one that the light came on and I wanted to see just how long I could go with it. I went all the way to my destination and sat in the yard and let it regurgitate, parked right outside the TM's office. I put in for the time because it delayed me from going to the motel.
When I came back from my rest, I was an hour out in my trip and the light came on, but this time it flashed and the engine shut down. I was able to apply the overide twice, then I found a wide spot and got off to the side. I called in and got to a mechanic and was told to do the process again and it would take another 40 minutes. I did it then I was ready to go. There is nothing else you cando, when it wants to regurgitate you have a couple of hours from the start, but at some point it will start flashing and it will shut down. You will have a couple of resets, I'm not sure how many, I think I used 2, maybe there was a third one.
If you are lucky it will happen when you need a nap and you will have 40 minutes of heat. And get paid for it. Shivers down howdy's spine! The fact that you might benefit from it! GASP!

I had one that the light came on but then went off i don't no took me all the way to the term, so maybe the light was bad 10-4

Whats A 17? We Dont Get To Drive Yard Equipment On The Road! Whats The Matter With You Guys?

Whats A 17? We Dont Get To Drive Yard Equipment On The Road! Whats The Matter With You Guys?

17's are for yard men that run the rails 10 miles away. Sometimes they are for use in the city. Almost never for the road.
One guy told me the ones with chrome are for the non union division? Not sure about that though.

17's are for yard men that run the rails 10 miles away. Sometimes they are for use in the city. Almost never for the road.
One guy told me the ones with chrome are for the non union division? Not sure about that though.

Yeah, just like you said. :smilie_132:

Mikey. You're getting too old!:biglaugh: Just kidding. I believe that the trucks have improved significantly in the short time I have been here. It seems to me like they are making an effort and have been hearing some of our input. I think that they will always buy about the cheapest thing out there. I've come to expect that. What union carrier doesn't? But when you look how these trucks get treated by a lot of folks. If I were a company man, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to turn the pigs loose out on the green at the country club.

It happened to me the other night, and I sat there for an hour and forty minutes. The trouble is this unit was in yard service hookin sets for a dau and a half, which filled the stack with soot. Nice huh? real nice

These sterlings are about 4 steps backwards, in my opinion. I would like to know why they are buying the cheapest seats possible, and they keep shortening the steer axle springs that make these heaps ride like a skateboard with a chair.

Parked Regeneration

You are right, these engines normally don't require a parked regeneration for many miles. As can be expected with new technology or the lack there of, there will be problems.
There have already been two upgrades in the programs for this system & the units are still new.
The dealers are installing the new software when they have the units in the shop.
I'm sure that there will be even more upgrades as time goes on so stay tuned.

Thanks Doc! You always have honest input for us. Good or bad news. We appreciate what you guys do for us. As much as some folks complain. We wouldn't make it very far without your hard work keepin these green machines rollin!:1036316054:

You are right, these engines normally don't require a parked regeneration for many miles. As can be expected with new technology or the lack there of, there will be problems.
There have already been two upgrades in the programs for this system & the units are still new.
The dealers are installing the new software when they have the units in the shop.
I'm sure that there will be even more upgrades as time goes on so stay tuned.

Doesn't the extended yard service that these tractors are used for have an impact on the pollution control installed on these units?

Idling

Yes, as with all diesel engines idling shortens the life of the engines due to lower temperatures in the combustion chamber which causes fuel dilution of the engine oil. The factory represenative said that our engines would probably go longer between parked regeneration & replacement of the muffler soot trap because we have idle shutdowns. Yes extended idling is harmful to these engines & all others.

Yes, as with all diesel engines idling shortens the life of the engines due to lower temperatures in the combustion chamber which causes fuel dilution of the engine oil. The factory represenative said that our engines would probably go longer between parked regeneration & replacement of the muffler soot trap because we have idle shutdowns. Yes extended idling is harmful to these engines & all others.

Then maybe you need to call g. VistaCruiser in Chittycago and get them off the yard service, before the road driver has to do a one hour parked regeneration 5 miles from the start of his run. Happening all the time.

Idling

Then maybe you need to call g. VistaCruiser in Chittycago and get them off the yard service, before the road driver has to do a one hour parked regeneration 5 miles from the start of his run. Happening all the time.

I'm not sure that I know the meaning of your post. I certainly have no control over what happens in South Chicago. Is g. VistaCruiser a vendor?
At Little Rock no vendors come on the yard. The company would have to pay a time claim to shop employees for any work that wasn't warranty.
The parked regeneration process normally wouldn't have to be done for many miles. Currently the units with the 07 engines are being upgraded with new software. As with anything new it takes time to work out problems especially with all the controls/sensors/processors etc. required to meet the emission standards. I will be glad to pass along any information I have that might help to make our jobs easier. Even the factory representatives are still learning about these new engines.