FedEx Freight | New 5th wheels

WornOut

TB Lurker
Credits
Is it me, or do the new style 5th wheels like on the KW's, the ones with the big black handle make your shoulder sore?. Seems like every time I drive one for a few days, my shoulder gets real sore right on top.....its really painful, am I pulling them wrong? The only way I can get it to unlatch is to pull up first, then out, seeems a little awkward, and definitely not ergonomic.....

USLoneStar said:
Is it me, or do the new style 5th wheels like on the KW's, the ones with the big black handle make your shoulder sore?. Seems like every time I drive one for a few days, my shoulder gets real sore right on top.....its really painful, am I pulling them wrong? The only way I can get it to unlatch is to pull up first, then out, seeems a little awkward, and definitely not ergonomic.....
All our old ones at roadway are like that, never had a problem. Maybe they need to be greased, or just worked in.

hello luckyman here. no not just you lol . get yourself a hook or pin puler works good . dont forget have fun .

The fifth wheels are jost the only way to pull them is to use a hook in the smaller hole twist and pull with both hands and your hole body. It's a 70 lbs pull it's the lightest in the industry to help prevent sholder strain at least thats what a brocher I read said about them.I talked to guy who orderd them He seems to think they are the same as are old ones with a 5 lbs pull.The main reason is the cost of rebulding them $5.00 for parts and 20 minutes for labor verses $250 in parts and 2.5 hours in labor.
The curant cost of a rotator cuff 10 to 15 thousand dollars and all the drugs you can handle pluse all the work you are not doing at that time for the company also!10 to 15 thousand is just a guse but use a hook all the time when pulling the pins.
Also the Westcoaster said "The east guys use these all the time and they love them"
but then how would He know what You guys like anyways.He dosen't know his rear end form a hole in the ground He was a trailer monkey in His early days.

QUESTION---- I had rotater cuff surgury a year ago should i be concerned about the new 5-wheel,ive still got pain every day anyway.

Friend just got a 89** series volvo within the last month and they have a neumatic fifth wheel release on the dash similar to the air dump switch just crank down the landing gear disconect hoses and flip a button, maybe save some shoulders!

I'm sure it will .
My KW is not too bad but I have a pin pulller
for the days that it is messy out also days
that my shoulder is sore. / Smokestack

In late 2004 the West began getting tractors with the Jost fifth wheel on it. We were told it was a new style and the drivers in the East loved them, not too sure how you all knew about them if they were new. I don't know of many drivers who were not either concerned or just plain disbelieving. Once we had some experience with them and learned how to use a puller on them most of us found them to be the easiest to open and least likely to hang up. So far, 19 months, mine has functioned flawlesly.

You know, now that you bring this up I've been battling a sore shoulder for the last couple of months, thought I have been sleeping on it or something. It's the scapula area that is sore, it's usually not too bad, but when I get home from work it is definitely worse than when I went to work. It is the one I use to pull the Jost 5th wheel, I usually knock the lever up and then pull out to disengage. My 5th wheel has a hand grab that's a complete oval rounded on the ends.

Hmmmm....

roog

I love my JOST had one on my first road unit R6025, Have one on my new tractor R7676,love it works awesome ,I also use the new dolly style pull both west coast oldies trailers with the deeper pin or ours it has a jost also works awesome best fifth wheel I have ever used personally.. beats them frigin hollands or fontains pull it out thing flops right back in wont release had a ryder rental for awhile once what a pain in the A$$.....

Custom made

Next week I'll post a pic of my puller.
(on vac. for a few days)

Ouch !

Oh yea Cfer look who is calling the kettle black.
BTW , off next Monday too.
Smokestack / :nutkick: