ABF | New Account ???

TB Regular
Credits
Has anyone seen any of those 420 lb. slate pooltables yet? They are 2 man house deliveries & they are killers.

The customer had to help us & between the 3 of us we had one hell of a time just getting it into his garage.

They are an accident & lawsuit just waiting to happen.

We have two of them on monday. We will use the liftgate dont think it will be a very big deal at all. I wasnt going to take another driver with me but was told it was mandatory. they are only four hundred pounds. And they are packaged well. ABF is charging them well for this service so lets just get r done.

Are these pool tables "TURN-KEY" deliveries, where we are required to set up at the customers location, or just ground deliveries?

jellybean said:
Are these pool tables "TURN-KEY" deliveries, where we are required to set up at the customers location, or just ground deliveries?
No, they are just ground delivery into a garage or on the driveway.

Nooksack is a better man than me if he can safely unload it by himself.

I'll look forward to his thoughts after making the delivery.

nooksack said:
We have two of them on monday. We will use the liftgate dont think it will be a very big deal at all. I wasnt going to take another driver with me but was told it was mandatory. they are only four hundred pounds. And they are packaged well. ABF is charging them well for this service so lets just get r done.
We shall see !! only 400 lbs you say.

if these tables are like the ones i purchased it would be easier to break the carton open because the slate is in 3 pieces. it would make it much easier to carry. guess you just need the homeowners approval...

I dont think they are slate. The company sent paperwork on how to transport the tables standing on their sides. I dont think a slate table could take that. All the other pool tables we deliver have the slate banded on a plt to be installed when the table is set up.
These tables are easier than tring to get a full size triumph motorcycle [500# to 750#] off the truck.

Its up to the driver to get the freight off the truck safely. If you cannot do it alone, get the help you need.

You do not need to worry about pricing and the operating ratio of an account. Leave that up to sales and management.

Just deliver the freight and move on, its makes your life much easier that way.

I've delivered slate tables usualy before Christmas.

The ones I delivered for Overnite were laying flat ,banded on an oversizied skid.
I got the skid as close to the edge of the tail,broke the bands,than handed the pieces off to the home owner,who carried them to his garage,gingerly piling them up on the floor.

When I deal with people that have little clue of the weight of what they've purchased.
I just try to politely let them know that they need to help,or it goes back to the terminal,and they will have to make other arangments to get it delivered to them.

I never argue with anyone,I just state the facts,and let them make up their mind on how its going to be.

I used to say the freight charges are paid coming,as well as going,and personaly I don't care which way their shippment goes.

Some customer called in on me,and my TM told me that even though I was right.
He didn't want me saying that anymore.

As drivers we are paid to pick up and deliver freight, if someone asks our opinion, great. If you want to give advice, be careful, those words can and WILL be used against you.

Customers pay our salary, but that does not mean they are not going to be a-holes most of the time.

well put, fotf, i had the same thing happen a couple times at red star, id get it to the tailgate at the previous stop if possible, then explain to the customer that once it's out of the weather it'stheir stuff, all we had to do was make an effort to get it in the door or garage. the customer sometimes had to arange for extra help, but i never had any complaints.

Delivered first table tuesday. Slid it onto the gate, let it to the ground, hand trucked it to the garage. Eight min from arrive to back in truck. Like I said piece of cake. Have to say again great packaging. Rope holds are really helpful.
PS: I should tell you table only weighs 140# more than me. Be safe take as many guys as you need.

nooksack said:

what happens to the guy who just came back from workman's comp for back surgery when an unscrupulous dispatcher intentionally places this guy at risk by giving him this delivery
the second guy is also at risk for injury when the first guy can't handle his end

"they are only 400 lbs" actually 420
who are you paul bunyon?
perform this delivery solo?
let me know what hospital you use as i'll send you a get well card
we used 3-4 guys at our terminal
maybe abf is charging alot for this service but you aint seein ityou are just sweatin it:Censored-Cow:

big steve said:
hey nooksak
my terminal needs a few more like you and we won't need liftgates
Hey steve
Whats with all the animosity. My last post ended by saying Be safe take as many guys as you need. Under no circumstance should a driver do anything he thinks is unsafe. I wouldent try to unload this without a lifegate that is what made me able to do the job on my own. And yes my nick name is Paul Bunion. Have a nice day :thumbsup:

nooksack said:
Delivered first table tuesday. Slid it onto the gate, let it to the ground, hand trucked it to the garage. Eight min from arrive to back in truck. Like I said piece of cake. Have to say again great packaging. Rope holds are really helpful.
PS: I should tell you table only weighs 140# more than me. Be safe take as many guys as you need.

Packaging and crating for a thing like that does make a big difference.

nooksack said:
Hey steve
Whats with all the animosity. My last post ended by saying Be safe take as many guys as you need. Under no circumstance should a driver do anything he thinks is unsafe. I wouldent try to unload this without a lifegate that is what made me able to do the job on my own. And yes my nick name is Paul Bunion. Have a nice day :thumbsup:
no animosity bro
just amazed at guys like you who want to be heroes
do what you want
keep doin what you are doin and i'll send you a get well card when you realize when its too late that being a hero may not be worth it
maybe mr davidson will send you one too:robot: :wounded1:

nooksack said:
"piece of cake" ?? I'm sorry but I can't believe that you made this delivery in 8 mins by yourself .

How were you able to drag & balance an 8'X4'X10'' 420lb carton that was leaning against the wall, on its end out on the liftgate & lower it at the same time ? These cartons won't stand on end without someone to balance them. And I sure wouldn't trust dragging the carton by those rope holds.

nooksack, I'm not calling you a liar but you sure took a big risk unloading it by yourself.

Are you sure it was a piece of cake & only took 8 mins ?

2631 said:
"piece of cake" ?? I'm sorry but I can't believe that you made this delivery in 8 mins by yourself .

How were you able to drag & balance an 8'X4'X10'' 420lb carton that was leaning against the wall, on its end out on the liftgate & lower it at the same time ? These cartons won't stand on end without someone to balance them. And I sure wouldn't trust dragging the carton by those rope holds.

nooksack, I'm not calling you a liar but you sure took a big risk unloading it by yourself.

Are you sure it was a piece of cake & only took 8 mins ?

hey bro guys like him are wannabe heroes
he probably did accomplish it in 8 mins but more importantly, for what reason? what did he get out of doing it? a sense of accomplishment?
all i can say is what an #@!^*#@!
:confused:
no animosity just amazement!