New Android App For Truckers

Discussion in 'Paid Advertisers' started by Gogi, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gogi

Gogi New Member

Hi Everybody,

I am a software developer based in Tucson Arizona and my company has just launch a new mobile app for Android phones. It is called TransFree and will collect much data automatically that you often gather by hand. If you have an Android phone go to the market and download it.

How it works is simple. All Android phones have built in GPS chips. TransFree is a mobile GIS system which works with the phone GPS to give you a state by state report of hours of service, fuel purchase, wait time, distance and it even notes when you cross state borders. NO DATA PLAN IS REQUIRED. Everything is built into the app. There is nothing for you to do, but start the app and enter gallons of fuel when you fill up and that's it.

Look at some of these screen shots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Please let your friends know and thank you for taking the time to read my post. God bless.

Gogi

2. Gogi

Gogi New Member

1 person likes this.
  3. CDL holder

CDL holder with all endorsements

I passed this on to an owner operator that was recently wondering if something like this existed. Looks nice.

4. Gogi

Gogi New Member

CDL holder,

Thank you so much. We are excited for the opportunity to bring smart phone technology to owner operators. Once we meet certification requirements the app should really get some traction. We are currently programming all the cities in the US (there are a lot of them). The regulations require EOBR devices that on change of duty status the nearest city be recorded. With our built-in GIS system, the sky is the limit. We can even program all bridges in the US and alert drivers if they are too low for passage, just to mention a possible feature. If anyone on this board tries out the app and has suggestions we certainly are open to ideas.

Gogi

5. MrGeno

MrGeno New Member

Unable to find the app

I went to the android market and cannot find the app anywhere, has it been removed until you get the bugs worked out?

6. jmac4065

jmac4065 Member

Any chance you'll have the app for iPhone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Gogi

Gogi New Member

MrGeno,

Thank you for looking. Here is the link https://market.android.com/search?q=transfree+gogi&so=1&c=apps . It is still up and the response has been great. We are going over features that people would like and will try to get as many in as possible for the next release. Currently, we are still trying to get all of the cities in the maps so that the app meets federal rules for EOBR.

8. Gogi

Gogi New Member

jmac4065,

Good question. We are a small team and work long hours just to keep up with our Android apps. Perhaps when this economy finally turns, we can hire some more people to do a IPhone version. Thanks for noticing our app.

Gogi

9. jmac4065

jmac4065 Member

Thanks for the fast reply I'll keep checking in from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Gogi

Gogi New Member

Happy Labor day to all. Enjoy the weekend. I'll be out of the hot Arizona desert and into the cool California coastline for the weekend. Hope you all have a good one.

Gogi

11. DJ_Digital

DJ_Digital New Member

now this would make me go out and get a smart phone

12. CDL holder

Just FYI, my buddy didn't have good luck with this app and he bought a Rand McNally gps unit that tracks his state miles because that is the main thing he wanted this app for.

13. Gogi

Gogi New Member

CDL holder,

We have had reports of this. The main cause seems to be the gps chip in phones doesn't get updates in time. This can be fixed by leaving the gps unit to receiving during entire the trip (this is how Google maps and other mapping applications work, once you close these apps the gps units stops receiving). This however will drain the battery in about 15 minutes. The app currently calls the gps every 5 minutes and collects the information for processing. This method isn't reliable always because the phone can ask the nearest tower for its location and get the location of a stationary tower. This could go on for miles without location changes. Other drivers have had pretty good mileage reading. The app must be reacting differently to the type of driving being done. We are looking at two things. Since the app has maps of the US, we can add satellite locations for each state. This way the app will already be given the satellites it needs to connect to and the data should come down to earth without too much trouble. The other option is to keep the gps on all the time and let users know that the app can only be run if the phone is plugged into a charger (cigarette lighter) during the trip (Nobody among us really likes this option because it will have an affect on the phone's other operations, not to mention how hot the phone will get. Putting a phone in this state in your pocket might make you holler). It is not a minor fix unfortunately, but we are working on this. Sorry to all who have been disappointed. We are committed to providing mobile applications for the transportation industry and if you feel there is an app which isn't available, but might be helpful please let us know.

Gogi

14. CDL holder

Gogi, thanks for the detailed response and I wish you luck in working out the issues.

As far as suggestions for apps, how about one where drivers can report the status of a weigh station as they pass? (locked up, attended but closed, or open for business)

15. Gogi

Gogi New Member

CDL holder

Interesting. How would this look?

1. The user selects the location of the weight station on the app.
    2. The user marks the status of the weight station (Locked, Attended/Closed, Open) on the app.
    No problems there. What is supposed to happen next? Does that information stay on the phone reporting it? If so, why? Does it get sent to a server for all other participating phones to get notified of that station's status?
    The underlining idea of a social trucking network built on mobile technology is interesting.

Gogi

16. Jeff

Jeff Administrator

Gogi there should be different statuses

Opening and Closing- (meaning when it's full they close it until they get some room)
    Open- Weighing all trucks
    Locked Up/Closed - Completely closed down and no one is there

Get all locations on weigh stations then have it automagically put a timestamp on the last entry
    Name the app "Coops Open" and have a Yellow Chicken on it :)
    good luck

17. CDL holder

Jeff's got the right idea.

This could work similarly to my Garmin NuLink which allows users to press a button to report a red light camera. The position of the camera is plotted based on the gps coordinates at the time of the button press.

Another similar concept is the new app for owners of the Beltronics STI Driver Radar/Laser Detector. They now have a new power cord that works in conjunction with their smart phone app. When a driver sees law enforcement activity they press the button on their cord that plots the location for other users to see. Now as STI Drivers running the app approach the area, an audible alert occurs and the screen gives the information.

My original suggestion was for weigh station reporting but there could also be a universal reporting app for the trucking community where all types of things could be reported by users such as police presence and major traffic jams. My Garmin NuLink has traffic but none of the gps based traffic services is as reliable as widespread use of real human reporting of current conditions.

Thanks for being interested in our ideas!

18. Gogi

Gogi New Member

This would be fairly easy:

The app becomes a layer on top of Google Maps.
    1. The user marks a location with the app which transfers it to Google Maps data structure.
    2. The information gets stored on a central server someplace (or it could be done with text messages - this would cost more for users).
    2. That location gets some description (ie. station, radar, road hazard what ever)
    3. Others users open the app and touch an update button which pulls updates from the central server and plots all of marked locations and their description on Google maps.
    4. This would be a totally user driven app with no automated stuff happening in the background.

It seems that it would have to be a distributed application. I don't understand what the point of marking locations and just keeping them on the same phone would be. Is there some reason to keep the information local to a phone?

Gogi

19. Guardrail

Guardrail Super Moderator Staff Member

No reason to keep it local on the same phone. The point of the app would be so others who have the app would know the status of the scales before they got there.

Guardrail--Xoomin'

20. Gogi

Gogi New Member

Yellow Chicken?

Gogi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.