New Blog Devoted To Carriers Long Gone

Discussion in 'Trucking Boneyard Discussion' started by iwahstore, Jan 24, 2016.

1. iwahstore

iwahstore New Member

I have been working on a blog devoted to the history of LTL carriers. My sources of information are old newspaper articles, old city directories and phone books, etc. comments are welcome after taking a look at the postings made so far. The blog is at www.lessthantruckloadhistory.wordpress.com

2. SuperCourse

SuperCourse Well-Known Member

Checked out your blog. Looks like it could be interesting if you can generate responses from some of the old timers out here. I don't have time to sign up today but probably wil soon. I'll enjoy posting rambling, inconsequential anecdotes from the "golden age" of LTL trucking. A lot of stories from the 70's would contain adult content, they'll have to be cleaned up.

3. iwahstore

iwahstore New Member

Several recently discovered sources of information will enable historical facts on carriers from the past to be added to my blog. If you have not been a recent visitor be sure to check out the site over the next few days. Among the sources being used are older microfilm copies of the Federal Register from 1961 and 1977 with details of operating authority on large carriers from that time period.

4. SuperCourse

Posted a comment on the McLean photo over there, thanks iwahstore.

5. FarrellTrans

FarrellTrans New Member

Posted a comment on Miller express who was bought out by Adley Express..

6. seabreeze

seabreeze Not Well Known Member, 60 Year Teamster Member

Still being a little new on this posting, but since I was born and grew up on Charlotte.
    , been around trucking most of my life
    I feel like I may qualify as one of the old timers Super Course mentioned.
    Back in the early fifties the days of company leasing my dad ran a repair shop, he maintained several trucks leased to Roadway, Carolina,
    Harris Express,Great Southern Trucking Co,Overland and others.
    I hung around the shop all I could listening to the owners and drivers tales,found out at an early age I wanted to drive an Autocar
    I learned to drive delivering tractors back to the companies spotting and picking up trailers for the drivers
    One guy had five Autocars and a RDFC 405 IHC, the IHC had a Fuller Roadranger, 10 speed on one stick, unheard of back in those days, these six were all leased to Roadway.
    But I was in hog heaven in a big green Autocar with 3 spd Brown and Lipe aux and 200 Cummins, if only for a few miles
    I would bobtail back to the company, sneak by my house so the neighbors could see the big green Roadway Autocar in our drive
    In 1955 with a little inside help I was hired by Great Southern, Jim Ryder had just bought the company and changing the name to Ryder Truck Lines
    later on becoming PIE Nationwide, I could not have picked a better place to work
    Back then we ran only six southern states, in 1957 Mr. Ryder told us he could not expand north without problems unless we were union,he advised us to go teamsters which we did, true to his word he bought many trucking companies to get his authority
    I was still there when they folded in 1990
    I know without a doubt those were the "golden years"
    Deregulation, containers,government stripping the unions of their power helped end that era
    Hard times but good times, gone to never return.

7. SuperCourse

Good post seabreeze, I remember Ryder Truck Lines, "Blue Chip", Best In The Long Run. Had nice looking equipmment back in the 70's, White Road Boss linehaul tractors. Very good times indeed.

8. seabreeze

Thanks for the Atta Boy Super C
    just wondering if you ran into Cincinnati, or knew my ole boss, Don Bradfield.
    He left us for Big R, was our line drs supervisor for years

9. SuperCourse

I ran the northeast, Maryland to Bangor Maine, didn't know Don.

[​IMG]

10. seabreeze

This Little R would not envy you on your Hendrickson rubber blocks in that cold country for sure
    Don was Big Rs line driver super in Ohio when he retired

11. iwahstore

iwahstore New Member

I recently received a copy of The Official 1946 Chicago Motor Freight Guide which has a tremendous amount of information on common carriers serving that city in that year. Within the book is addresses of every truck terminal in Chicago, route maps from several companies both well known and those I had never known of, and points served in every state reached from those trucking companies with service from Chicago. This book will be a valuable source of information for future blogs on the website www.lessthantruckloadhistory.wirdpress.com. I am happy to report that over 700 visitors have looked at the site and I look forward to future comments from readers of this site.

12. iwahstore

iwahstore New Member

My blog has been viewed 1000 times one month earlier than expected! Thanks to everyone who has seen it and read the posts, your comments are always welcome. If you have not seen it feel free to take a look. www.lessthantruckloadhistory.wordpress.com is the location for the blog. I have several sources for the early history of carriers that you may not have heard of and some than are well known. If you have a particular carrier that you want to know about simply let me know and I will try to cover it. Again thanks to my readers!

13. ROADY

ROADY Well-Known Member

Worked at Ryder Truck Lines for 10 years {1980 to 1990} before I left to work for Roadway. Ryder was a great job, did P&D work in New York/New Jersey.

14. iwahstore

iwahstore New Member

Happy Holidays from iwahstore and the LessThanTruckloadHistory blog. This photo was taken at the Headquarters for Old Dominion Freight Line in Thomasville, North Carolina.

15. iwahstore

iwahstore New Member

16. iwahstore

iwahstore New Member

A major re-write of the history of Branch Motor Express will be coming soon to my blog with lots of newly acquired information from old newspaper articles about the company. Much of this information is during the 1920s to 1940s, during the time when the firm was known as Branch Storage Company in Pennsylvania. The new re-write will include several interesting items, such as the first routes applied for to the Pennsylvania Public Utilities Commission, details concerning the former use of an Allentown facility, and another business that Branch Storage was engaged in before 1931.Check out the blog starting this weekend for the updated version of Part One of the History of Branch Motor Express!

Additionally, recent posts to the blog have presented employee listings from 1940 Saginaw, Michigan carriers Consolidated Freight Company and Doyle Freight Lines. Doyle was one of two common carriers that merged years later to form Great Lakes Express (later acquired by Branch). Let me know if you enjoy that type of historical information that is directly from old city directories. I thoroughly enjoy the research involved in presenting different types of trucking history and need the feedback from my readers to know if you enjoy it.

Thanks to all of my readers and I will continue to provide history of LTL carriers to keep the names of former companies alive and not forgotten!

Sincerely, Ed Craddock "iwahstore"

17. SuperCourse

Thanks Ed. I read all your stuff.

18. iwahstore

iwahstore New Member

My blog is on its second year and is on course to surpass the number of visitors on the blog in all of last year by August or September of this year. An additional stream if info is being considered and would like comments as to if it is needed. Either a monthly online newsletter or creation of many separate company histories is being planned. Either one would be for purchase by subscription or individual basis with the result being sent as a PDF file. I'm thinking of an all EBAY sales channel for such an endeavor with a very inexpensive monthly cost of less than $3 monthly. This will not replace my blog here and it will not be going away. To be honest, it would be a way to recoup some of the expense of trucking research that I've been doing. Each company history or monthly newsletter would be between 5 to 10 pages so purchasers would be getting value for money spent. A test sample is being considered within the next 30 days so a few people can see the product and provide feedback. Any thoughts?

19. iwahstore

iwahstore New Member

Today my blog at www.lessthantruckloadhistory.wordpress.com has surpassed the number of visitors in 2017 than from all in 2016 and it was done in less than seven months! Thanks you all so very much! Keep reading and I will continue posting. Much more to come!

Dick Dastardly likes this.